Kei Truck?

shinnlinger

What do you guys think about Kei trucks? It seems to me the $5000 for a heated cab 4x4 is good, but some of you have rtvs and mules and stuff.

I will probaly modify an 82 toyota into gator like proportions, but thes Kei trucks have an appeal to me. Especially since I could ag plate them and drive them around.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I will probably modify an 82 toyota
Seems to me that an old Toyota 4x4 cut down into a farm vehicle, or simply purchased thrashed and run to death, will be cheaper and a lot more versatile than a Kei-type minitruck.

I expect those were designed for urban delivery (the 4x4s with snow capability) but they aren't an offroad vehicle like a Samurai. The tire size might be the best indicator. With 10 or 12 inch tires it won't make it across the back of a muddy pasture without dragging its belly, and you can't use oversize tires because then the truck would be geared so tall you couldn't get it rolling on rough ground without burning up the clutch.

I think an old Subaru (maybe with a trailer) would be more competent for light offroading.

I bought my Subaru (new) with A/T specifically because A/T has more starting torque to get rolling gently, say if you are cautiously crossing a creek full of wastebasket sized boulders.

Attachments

• DSCN1154rSub@Claim.jpg
    DSCN1154rSub@Claim.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN3332rSub&TrailerInOrchard.jpg
    DSCN3332rSub&TrailerInOrchard.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 300

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've considered the Yamaha Rino instead of the 10k+ RTV. I could get the Rhino for 8k. Still seemed to much when I have ATV's that serve the purpose.

I have my doubts about the mini trucks being much use on my trails. Plus I like the openness and all of the Rhino or the ATV. For me it will be one or the other. I have the ATV's now, but still considering selling one and getting a rhino (used preferably).

ghautz

I have seen these mentioned on other forums. They sound interesting, but apparently can't be licensed in some states. I wonder about parts support, too. Your modified '82 Toyota sounds like a good idea. We want pix when you do it.:)

Mark777

I know of several Kei class trucks in our area. A gent imports them, does the Camo paint jobs with some serious lift kits, lights and ROPS. He lists them for $5K after the conversions. These trucks are 4WD, AC/Heat and parts don't seem to be a problem IF you are willing to wait for them to be shipped from Japan. His customers are ranchers, sportman and hobby farms. I've seen the Honda, Mitsubishi and Dihatsu badged brands....and they are very nice.

(Two were special ordered (used of course) with the hydraulic tilt beds and foldable bed sides)

We seriously considered importing them at one time...but models powered by diesel are impossible to find.

Mark

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mark, how competent are those offroad? Anywhere near a Samurai? It seems to me those tiny tires would be ok on dry ground but crossing a creek, or a bog, it wouldn't do very well.

Are they a real alternative, or simply cute?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Shinnlinger, what's your intended application for this thing? Your fleet seems to cover near everything already!

Mark777

Mark, how competent are those offroad? Anywhere near a Samurai? It seems to me those tiny tires would be ok on dry ground but crossing a creek, or a bog, it wouldn't do very well.

Are they a real alternative, or simply cute?

Well, there are several advantages over a ‘Mule’ or ‘Gator’…Especially the cost between those models and a Kei (less than half) - mostly all the creature comforts of an enclosed cab, with the simplest of amenities. We drove both the three cylinder (Dihatsu) and four cylinder (Suzuki) models, some with very large off road tires and lift kits. As for the punch list of their attributes, dependability came in first and as impressive as most Japanese manufactured vehicles, they felt strong, durable, excellent access for maintenance and… ‘cute’ came in somewhere way down the list.

You have to take customer testimonials with a grain of salt, but what got me interested was some honest input from Tractor Ernie (from Ernie’s Imports) who’s owned one for years, takes it everywhere and often gone for days on hunting trips.

Probably seen these pictures already but I’ll toss them up just in case

Attachments

• Suzuki Carry 1.jpg
    Suzuki Carry 1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Suzuki Carry 2.jpg
    Suzuki Carry 2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Mitsu-Dump.jpg
    Mitsu-Dump.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 34

shinnlinger

Mark,

Thanks for the first hand account!

Cali,

I dont need one that is for sure, but my mother lives "over the river and through the woods' and was thinking of getting a golf cart, but it is a little rough for one of those I think, and for a little more you can get a "Kei" and the cab comforts are alot nicer. Of course then we would have to fight over it. I have seen some with an atv plow on the front.

I could also see the wife using it to feed the sheep when we put them down in the "SOuth 40" which doesn't have water yet

I could also probably register it as a tractor and drive it to work 5 miles away and run errends in it "Down to the village" So I find the vehicles inyriguing, but am also surprised that I dont see more as they seem to be the ticket as Mark described, just no diesel, but if their so great why doesn't everyone have one?

To be honest I dont see why any one would spend 10 large on and utv,rtv, etc except maybe the bobcat toolcat as that has a skid stear FEL on the front and maybe a 3pt pto on back? If that was the case, I could see owning one of them instead of a tractor in certain cases, maybe even mine.

In the end though I am just dreaming and exploring the options and a cheap hick so I will continue to put a platform in my bucket and use that to transport fencing and hay I will probably explore this world though with an old toyota as mentioned though and go form there...all it takes is time.