Tips to avoid buying stolen machines

Mith

I hear alot of stories about people getting their ATVs stolen, an easy item for theives I guess.

I'd imagine that most are resold within the country as this would afford the most money for the theives.

Any tips on how to avoid these stolen machines? Things to look for?

Cheers

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you talk to the person selling it and they don't know everything about the ATV or they are selling it real cheap. But ... then I suppose they would lie and say they are selling it for their brother who is out of the country and needs money.
No sure fire way to tell, but if dealing with the owner they should know the ATV well. If they say they just got it but now have to sell it I'd be suspicious.

xPosTech

I'm not sure I would want to buy one in the parking lot of a mall or Wall-Mart. For those of us with friends at the local constabulary a phone call for a serial number check would help. If you don't have a friend that's a cop, get one. :cool:

You can also call or drop by the local P.D. and get the number to call. If the serial # does come back stolen, let them know where it is.

A TroyBilt walk behind mulcher ($700 in 1982 dollars) disappeared from my driveway last year. It hasn't been reported as recovered yet, so I hope whoever took it just really needed a lawnmower. Realistically, it probably went to buy drugs.

Like Doc said, a price way under market value might be a clue. A need to sell really fast and no paperwork would be another one.

If ATVs are like cars or trucks they are worth much more torn down and sold as parts.

Ted

mobilus

If ATVs are like cars or trucks they are worth much more torn down and sold as parts.

Ted

I think you are on target with that comment. Ever check Ebay? Tons of parts...mostly new. Now I'm not sure about elsewhere, but where I live, people ride them till they die, then they sit out behind the barn to rot away. Or, if they're still running, they bring way too much money on a legitimate sale to ever chop them up. Sooooooooooo, where do those parts on Ebay come from?:(

Of course, a real thief will find a way, but a good chain, or cable, or locked door will keep the "honest" folks straight.

Mith

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've always got my eye on stuff for sale that is priced below the market, in part from all the scams that are around these days. Point well taken though.
Point taken about shady sellers, though some of the best deals I have had are from people who don't know about the item they are selling.

Do ATVs have VINs like cars? Numbers on the frame etc, or should I be looking on the engine.

Cheers

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
a guy on another forum gave this sugestion when the question came up over there.get a cheap cell phone thats on your plan that way you will know it's paid for and workin then get one of them little water tight boxs they sell at acodemy sports of any other marine store. next you wanna run a hot wire from the battery into the frame then to come out where ever your phone is mounted. next put the phone charger and phone in the box and put the phone on silent mode seal it up good and paint it black to match the rest of the frame or where ever you mount it and thats it your done. if your bike ever gets stolen just keep callin the number and have the phone company get a gps location of where the bike is then send the cops to go get it. if your really in love wit your bike get a smart phone that has the gps locator built in that way you can track it from your phone at your house. hope this helps out.