I's Got A Dream !!

Ductape

A few years ago, my wife, Whats-Her-Name and i bought a lil fixer-upper. Approximately 1500 sq ft with attached 20x24 barn. It had been empty for about four years since the widow who owned it had to go into a nursing home. Kids had thrown rocks through the windows / screens..... pipes had frozen and burst, and wow was it overgrown! But.... we had a vision.

SmithFarm005.jpg

SmithFarm006.jpg

SmithFarm018.jpg

SmithFarm021.jpg

SmithFarm.jpg

Ductape

The beauty of it was also the drawback........ (aside from some new shingles on part of the house) nothing had been done to the house since the 1950's...... the last time it had changed hands (it even had the original two-holer in the corner of the barn!). We both love old stuff, and you just can't buy the character a 130 year old house has. We're still at it, with a long way to go. We've uncovered beautiful wide pine floors, along with other great original features..... like the wavey original poured glass windows. Attached are a couple pics after owning it about a year and a half..... sorry, none handy from this year.

SmithFarm075.jpg

SmithFarm080.jpg

SmithFarm091.jpg

Dougster

Old Member
Your neighbors must be absolutely ecstatic that you purchased that house and turned it around!!! ;)

Well done!!! :thumb:

Dougster :starbucks:

Ductape

Aaahhhh yes........ good eye gentlemen ! Black plate California truck, been repainted once in its life. Small block,T400..... what a great ruck ! I lowered it a little bit..... well, alotta bit. Unfortunately, when i decided to end my former career...... it had to go as i needed the money. Fear not, it went to a great home. It was the guys thirteenth classic car....... you shoulda seen this guys garage !!

Burb003.jpg

That's what happens when you ride around in one of those for a while. You can pick them out in a crowd. The one my dad use to have was either a 63 or 64, with a 305V6 and 4wd. We use to call it the HULK. It was a monster. We use to use it as a hunting truck. Just put it in 4 wheel low and it would blaze a trail thru just about anything. I wish I had a picture of that old beast.

Ductape

Cives...... its a 63 also and originally had the 305 sixxer / powerglide. I wish we coulda kept it....... but what can ya do? By far the most fun vehicle i've ever owned !!

Cives...... its a 63 also and originally had the 305 sixxer / powerglide. I wish we coulda kept it....... but what can ya do? By far the most fun vehicle i've ever owned !!

No power glide for us. I think it was a four speed. I remember the day we first went to look at it. It had been sitting in a guys yard for about five years. Hadn't been started in all that time either. Put some fuel down the carb and attached the fuel line to a small cans of gas. Low and behold it started right up. The only thing wrong with it was it was missing the front drive shaft. We did manage to find one and it was off to the races. I do have to agree with you it was one of the greatest vehicles we ever had for having fun in.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good job on the house. It looks great. Very nice wood floors you have to work with there. I know someone who used to be in the flooring business and he'd just shake his head when someone decided to replace the original wood planking with Pergo or one of those pre fabbed flloor boards. He'd say don't they know they are replacing a 100yr floor with a 15 year floor. :pat:

I was going to comment on what I thought was an old panel truck. I didn't recognize the first pic as a suburban type truck. How unique. I don't remember ever seeing one of those. I had a neat old 57 panel truck for a year or so. Picked it up for $300 bucks in the mid 70's when vans were popular. Cool old truck. I wanted to refinish it but didn't have the cash at the time. Ended up trading it even up for a Challenger. vroom vroom. :D

Ductape

Now get up there and reshingle the red building...:D

Yep...... its on the list. It doesn't leak, but those shingles sure are baked ! I got a quote on standing seam, as i figured it would keep the "barn" look (it still has the wooden floor)........ but the price scared me. I hope to have all the original shutters fixed and painted this year so i can get 'em hung up. All i need is more time and more money !

D

Deerlope

I had one of those fixer uppers and I worked on it for 28 years. But in the end I still had an old house with lots of charm and grace 30 feet from the highway. I sold it and went 1/2 mile off the highway and in a very wooded area and built new. I got 40 acers and tons of firewood. # 2 fueloil is now 3.25 a gal and I don't use a drop of it.