Boston Construction Show (a.k.a., "MasCon")

Dougster

Old Member
Went to the MasCon show in Boston on Saturday. Didn't have a whole lot of time to mess around on the nifty new equipment, but I thought I'd post a brief report for anyone interested since there was a fair amount of Kubota equipment (and dealers) present.

Got into several deep discussions about the L39 vs. L48 vs. M59 with the Kubota dealers there. Seems that they're not expecting the Great Orange Beast (a.k.a., the "M59") until mid-summer but clearly expect it to be a major success even at ~$50K once it appears. In their collective view, the L39 *is* the replacement for the L48… no doubt about it… and Kubota’s direct competition for John Deere’s aging 110.

Interestingly, they see the M59 more as a step-down (in size, price) machine for the current gold chain/yellow machine crowd (i.e., full-size hoe owner/operators) than they do as an expensive step-up machine for the L39 and L48 crowd. Further, they do not see the dropping of the L48 as leaving any sort of gap in their product line. They feel that the L39 and M59 are about at the capability level spacing they want (translation: expect street prices to go way up on the L39 after the last of those L48’s disappear!) And no, there is still no tire upgrade package available for the L39. The dealers sure wish there was!!! :rolleyes:

And for my backhoe mentor and most excellent friend Larry: There are no new unsold L48’s left in the New England market. The website you checked must have been way out of date (no real surprise). Only ones left that I know of are "used and abused" old-timers (kinda like Larry and moi). ;)

Who was at the show and who wasn’t that we care about? Kubota had the biggest presence overall… followed by ASV, CAT, Bobcat, New Holland compact construction machines (i.e., no "blue"), CASE mini-excavators, skid steers & full-size backhoe and even I-R/Volvo. Tons of truck folks and a few large excavator folks too… but nothing greatly interesting to us mostly tractor folks here. I did have a nice talk with the I-R folks who insisted both that: a) Volvo did not buy out the entire I-R construction equipment line, and, b) that service and parts for the I-R BL-series backhoes are still readily available through I-R dealers (not Volvo or Bobcat) despite many rumors and stories to the contrary. :eek:

Missing (much to everyone’s chagrin) was John Deere. There wasn’t a single Deere machine… yellow or green… in the entire show. I admit: I was disappointed. Others were shocked. :eek: There were loads of specialty machines there in every size and type... many with names I didn't recognize. Fun to look at, but mostly way too expensive to waste my time. :)

I did learn a lot about mini-excavators that I hadn’t known before and it should help me greatly in my quest for a second digging machine. Seems that not all "same class" mini-excavators are created equal by a long shot. There were also tons of skid steer loaders there… but I learned nothing new there other than that I can’t afford a new one (or probably even a used one from a same-brand dealer). I did see the new ASV PT-60 (replacement for the RC-50/60?) but didn’t have a chance to ask what had changed or how much the price had gone up. The lights were turned off at that point, and it was time to go home.

I may go to the Conex Connecticut show next week to see what different might appear there and what used equipment those dealers might know of. If anyone else from NTT plans to attend, please let me know. I will use my Starbucks gift cards to get you a coffee! :starbucks:

The Conex Connecticut website is:

http://www.conexshows.com/conex/conct/index.po

Dougster :starbucks:

Dougster

Old Member
I have the tickets for conex. this year they better allow me to park inside the bldg and no more a mile away. When are you going?
I get all mixed up every time I go to or through Hartford. I better bring my GF's GPS. Maybe a gun too if I need to park more than a mile or two away. :eek:

The day I go... Wednesday or Thursday... will all depend on possible snowplowing obligations that week. But since you will likely choose to go on the better weather day yourself, it shouldn't be a problem. :)

Dougster

JD a no-show at a Construction Expo

Doug...do you think you should take that as a warning that JD thinks there is going to be a SLOWDOWN in new construction in the USofA and therefore a MAJOR SLOWDOWN in the acquisition of new construction equipment in the USofA????:rolleyes:

Dougster

Old Member
Doug...do you think you should take that as a warning that JD thinks there is going to be a SLOWDOWN in new construction in the USofA and therefore a MAJOR SLOWDOWN in the acquisition of new construction equipment in the USofA????:rolleyes:
There was TONS of negative talk at the show. You couldn't help but overhear it everywhere. It was almost the theme of the show!!! :( But always remember that this is Massachusetts we are talking about. Massachusetts is not the real world. Anything that goes on here is not to be taken as an indication of anything anywhere else. :rolleyes:

Also, I think that folks in construction, excavation, landscaping and the like tend to overstate the good times and over-complain about potential bad times when they get together. :eek: I think it just goes with the territory.

I don't know what to read into the absence of Deere from the show. I would not jump to any conclusions on that fact alone... but it will be interesting to see if they blow off the Connecticut show as well. It would seem that if times are tough, they should be out there doing MORE advertising and marketing... not less. :cool:

There was TONS of negative talk at the show. You couldn't help but overhear it everywhere. It was almost the theme of the show!!! :( But always remember that this is Massachusetts we are talking about. Massachusetts is not the real world. Anything that goes on here is not to be taken as an indication of anything anywhere else. :rolleyes:

Also, I think that folks in construction, excavation, landscaping and the like tend to overstate the good times and over-complain about potential bad times. :eek: I think it just goes with the territory.

I don't know what to read into the absence of Deere from the show. I would not jump to any conclusions on that fact alone... but it will be interesting to see if they blow off the Connecticut show as well. It would seem that if times are tough, they should be out there doing MORE advertising and marketing... not less. :cool:

Marketing without hope of sales...Is a wasted expenditure...:rolleyes:

You do not see McDonalds marketing in Darfur...:eek:

Dougster

Old Member
Marketing without hope of sales...Is a wasted expenditure...:rolleyes: You do not see McDonalds marketing in Darfur...:eek:
Ouch!!! :eek: One wouldn't think that these regional shows are particularly costly to attend. Heck, a lot of these sales folks could drive from home. Some of the small names in attendence there should be suffering a lot more than Deere... but they still showed up! It was actually a pretty good show all things considered and I made some very useful contacts.

But in regard to Deere's notable absence, I don't have a good answer for you. :eek:

Dougster

larryRB

they are very costly to attend,, they are now, beyond reasonable cost for a dealer to set up.. I hauled trade shows for military defense contractors 17 years,.. Last year in Hartford, I went to visit an old friend, senior salesman for Tyler equipment... First thing I asked was why the show is one third size as it was at the old regional farm building. Simple answer,,, the cost of floor space was in the multi thousands of dollars,, Very few equip dealers can expend that kind of cash or even mortgage it, for a show that may or may not produce sales.
As for the parking question, they have three floors of indoor parking at the new show hall,,, It was blocked off from use,, I went in and complained like hell,, because, I have a handicap plate and to walk the distances I did last year, did me in, in very short time,.

Ouch!!! :eek: One wouldn't think that these regional shows are particularly costly to attend. Heck, a lot of these sales folks could drive from home. Some of the small names in attendence there should be suffering a lot more than Deere... but they still showed up! It was actually a pretty good show all things considered and I made some very useful contacts.

But in regard to Deere's notable absence, I don't have a good answer for you. :eek:

Dougster

Here is an example of a small conference fee...$8.44 a square foot

Display Pricing:​
$675 per 8' x 10' booth

Display Space Features:​
Each booth will come furnished with the following:
• 8' high background drape
• 3' high side divider drape​
• One Exhibitor Identification Sign

http://www.icpaonline.org/ICPA_ex_packet.pdf

Dougster

Old Member
they are very costly to attend,, they are now, beyond reasonable cost for a dealer to set up.. I hauled trade shows for military defense contractors 17 years,.. Last year in Hartford, I went to visit an old friend, senior salesman for Tyler equipment... First thing I asked was why the show is one third size as it was at the old regional farm building. Simple answer,,, the cost of floor space was in the multi thousands of dollars,, Very few equip dealers can expend that kind of cash or even mortgage it, for a show that may or may not produce sales.
As for the parking question, they have three floors of indoor parking at the new show hall,,, It was blocked off from use,, I went in and complained like hell,, because, I have a handicap plate and to walk the distances I did last year, did me in, in very short time,.
Sorry Larry but I'm having a very hard time believing that Schmidt Equipment can't afford to spend 2 days and a few bucks at a regional construction show. If they really can't, that is pretty embarrassing and telling fact... and maybe they should consider selling out to someone who can handle the cost of an annual show or two. :rolleyes:

It certainly didn't stop the area's Kubota dealers from showing up... and paying for a LOT of floor space. Same with some smaller equipment companies (some I hadn't even heard of before the show). Even the dang York rake guy had a booth (trying to sell his $7,500 Harley rake). If he can afford to come all the way from New York state, the Schmidt folks certainly could have driven in from Oxford (even if turnpike fees are rising!). :eek:

Here's the MASCON RATES!!

http://cygnus.iexposure.com/conex/mascon/pdf/2008/MASCON08-NonRenew-Contract.pdf

What is really interesting is the fine print on page 2 of the Contract...
1. Payment and Terms
Exhibit space cost and payment terms are stated on the front of this contract, and all payments are
non-refundable. In the event of total or partial cancellation (space size reduction) by Exhibitor, the
Booth Fee will not be reduced or refunded, and the total amount will be due.
If Exhibitor fails to pay the entire Booth Fee at the times specified, or fails to comply with any of the
terms and conditions or rules and regulations, Management may reassign the booth location reserved
for Exhibitor and/or may resell that booth location to another party. The entire Booth Fee must be
paid in full prior to move-in of the exposition.
If Exhibitor cancels or breaches this agreement for any reason whatsoever, in addition to whatever
rights Management may have under applicable law, any payments made by Exhibitor prior to the date
of termination shall be retained by Management as liquidated damages and not as a penalty.
Management and Exhibitor agree that such amounts constitute a reasonable provision for liquidated
damages. Exhibitor shall also be liable for any payments required to be paid but not paid as of the
date of cancellation or breach of this agreement.
If the exposition is cancelled or is not held for any reason whatsoever, then this agreement shall be
cancelled. Exhibitor’s sole and exclusive remedy shall be to receive a refund of all amounts Exhibitor
has actually paid on account of this contract.
If for any reason beyond Management’s reasonable control (e.g., an act of God, fire, labor
disturbance, etc.) the exposition is materially curtailed, Exhibitor’s sole and exclusive remedy shall be
to receive a pro-rata refund of the Booth Fee.

4. No Assignment or “Subletting” of Space
Exhibitor may not assign this contract and may not permit or “sublet” all or any part of its assigned
booth space to be used by any other business or firm, unless Management has given prior written
approval. Any such assignment, permission or “sublease” without Management’s prior written
approval shall be null and void.

14. Liability and Insurance
In addition to property insurance described above, Exhibitor shall obtain and keep in force during the
term of the installation and use of the exhibit premises, policies of comprehensive Commercial
General Liability Insurance and Contractual Liability Insurance insuring and specifically referring to
contractual liability in an amount not less than $1,000,000 Combined Single Limit for personal injury
and property damage. Exhibitor must provide Management with a certificate of insurance covering
the show location for the period of the show and which names the Management and the exhibition
facility management as co-insured. MANAGEMENT RESERVES THE RIGHT TO PROHIBIT
EXHIBITOR FROM SETTING UP OR OPERATING ITS BOOTH WITHOUT HAVING PROVIDED A
CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE.

AND THE FEES ARE PRETTY IMPRESSIVE...:D

Booth Size........ Before 6/1/07...... 6/1/07 to 9/1/07.......After 9/1/07
100 - 499 sq. ft. $11.75 per sq. ft. $12.30 per sq. ft...... $12.85 per sq. ft.
500 - 899 sq. ft. $ 9.30 per sq. ft...$ 9.75 per sq. ft....... $10.20 per sq. ft.
900 - 1299 sq. ft. $ 7.40 per sq. ft. $ 7.75 per sq. ft...... $ 8.20 per sq. ft.
1300 + sq. ft. $ 6.50 per sq. ft.......$ 6.80 per sq. ft........$ 7.25 per sq. ft.
50% exhibit space deposit due with signed contract. Balance due Oct. 27, 2007.

And the charges keep on adding up...:D

Sponsorships
�� Attendee Badge Insert $750
�� Lanyards $750
�� Registration Confirmation $750
�� Show Bags $750
�� Show Program Insert $750
�� Aisle Banners (per aisle) $500
�� Show Pens $350

Online Advertising Opportunities
�� E-Minder $ 500
�� Web Banner Ads starting at $ 250
�� Featured Virtual Booth $1,000
�� Advanced Virtual Booth $ 250

Last edited:

Dougster

Old Member
http://cygnus.iexposure.com/conex/mascon/pdf/2008/MASCON08-NonRenew-Contract.pdf

What is really interesting is the fine print on page 2 of the Contract...

AND THE FEES ARE PRETTY IMPRESSIVE...:D

And the charges keep on adding up...:D
I'm just not seeing that these are insanely high fees nor particularly onerous contract terms for a 50-year old multi-million dollar high-end construction equipment company with 5 locations. :eek: But then again, I am not paying them! :D

larryRB

Schmidt is not doing like you think they are. They ahven't moved anything that I can see from the hdqts in a long while, Same stuff sitting day in and day out. I don't feel sorry for them either,, They play games and ocassionally get caught at it, which catches up to them.

Dougster

Old Member
Schmidt is not doing like you think they are. They ahven't moved anything that I can see from the hdqts in a long while, Same stuff sitting day in and day out. I don't feel sorry for them either,, They play games and ocassionally get caught at it, which catches up to them.
Well, I notice that your John Deere commercial dealer for Connecticut (Lomac) plans to be at the Conex Connecticut show in a big way. That should be reassuring for anyone worried about Deere's commercial domestic sales. :)

I see that Schmidt is also blowing off the New England Grows show next week. Once again, Milton CAT and just about everyone else plans to be there. This is the Boston show for landscape contractors and the like. It overlaps with MasCon. I'll be there next Friday. :)

Dougster