Does this happen to anyone else?

N

Nicahawk

After I've logged on for a while and need to jump off for a few minutes, and then when I come back I find that I need to log in again. This seems to be only a few minutes. As long as I continue to read different posts I'm OK. It's just when I'm idle for a while. Am I doing something wrong? Yea I know, just stay here and all will be fine. OK, now I understand. Because of my :beer-fresh:I do need a break now and then.
icon10.gif

Is there a time limit of inactivity?

Dougster

Old Member
After I've logged on for a while and need to jump off for a few minutes, and then when I come back I find that I need to log in again. This seems to be only a few minutes. As long as I continue to read different posts I'm OK. It's just when I'm idle for a while. Am I doing something wrong? Yea I know, just stay here and all will be fine. OK, now I understand. Because of my :beer-fresh:I do need a break now and then.
icon10.gif

Is there a time limit of inactivity?
No such problems here. Just the occasional "burp" when in the middle of a long reply so that you lose all you've written as a sacrifice to the Gods of the Internet! :eek:

But I believe that phenomenon happens occasionally to folks on-line just about everywhere! :D

Dougster

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
No, both my home pc and the laptop I carry out to the ranch don't ask for the password for months, until I purge cookies.

I think ebay is the only place I go that requires re-login, but that's only once each day.

Like ebay, banking etc will log out after a short while but that's forced from their end.

Erik

my dialup disconnects after 20 minutes of "inactivity" like when I'm reading a long "new to me" thread...
could that be what's happening to you?
if yes, check your connection settings for timeout.

N

Nicahawk

my dialup disconnects after 20 minutes of "inactivity" like when I'm reading a long "new to me" thread...
could that be what's happening to you?
if yes, check your connection settings for timeout.
I'm on DSL so don't think it's that. I'm not that computer literate so I'm kinda at a loss, but I'll keep digging.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I can be logged in for hours while away from the keyboard, no problems here.

N

Nicahawk

I can be logged in for hours while away from the keyboard, no problems here.
????? Anyone have an idea if it's a setting on my pc or something else? Haven't tried the laptop yet, maybe I'll check and see if it does the same thing.
icon5.gif
Thanks.

PBinWA

????? Anyone have an idea if it's a setting on my pc or something else? Haven't tried the laptop yet, maybe I'll check and see if it does the same thing.
icon5.gif
Thanks.

Most likely you have set your browser not to accept "Cookies" or you have some form of Internet Security App that is blocking the NTT authentication cookie from getting set.

What browser are you using? IE, Firefox?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It could be as simple as clicking the 'remember me' button when you log in. If I'm on a new to me machine and log in it will do the same thing to me.

One way to tell your cookies are set okay is if you can click new posts and that works as expected.

N

Nicahawk

It could be as simple as clicking the 'remember me' button when you log in. If I'm on a new to me machine and log in it will do the same thing to me.

One way to tell your cookies are set okay is if you can click new posts and that works as expected.
Clicking remember me worked like a charm!
icon14.gif
This will save me mucho frustration and more time to share with my buddies. :beer: 'ALL' your advice has helped me achieve "all" my goals.
icon12.gif
Many Thanks.:starbucks: time now.