Loading wood

Mith

Dropped a couple more pallets of wood up next to the house this afternoon. Its a bit chilly, so we've been burning quite a bit of wood.

Putting wood on pallets sure is the way to go, beats the heck out of hand loading them into and out of trailers. Much easier to stack too, oh how I love the loader! :D

Attachments

• 03-02-08_1441.jpg
    03-02-08_1441.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 03-02-08_1434.jpg
    03-02-08_1434.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 03-02-08_1446.jpg
    03-02-08_1446.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 184

Mith

They are pallets that paving stones come on, ask a landscaper, they should get loads.
They are a bit fragile though, I should have beefed them up.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Mith, You've done wonders with that tractor you've got. Looking Good.

BoneheadNW

They are pallets that paving stones come on, ask a landscaper, they should get loads.
They are a bit fragile though, I should have beefed them up.
Great idea, although if I were to use these pallets I would have to buy pallet forks. Like I said, great idea! This is a pic of my current system. Wood is stored below the deck and I have to move it by hand (about 30-40 armfuls) to these racks. What a pain!
Bone

Attachments

• Wood on Deck.jpg
    Wood on Deck.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 181

Erik

pallet forks are nice to have on hand - they also work better than the bucket for that occasional piano sized rock you have to move...

Mith

Bone, this is the first year I have used the pallets, every year before I have done the same as you, but trailer them up the house, and unload them and stack by hand. Used to use 7 gallon buckets to move them faster.
Pallet forks are dead handy, you can get the clamp on ones real cheap.

Bindian

OK.
I love the pallets with sides.
that's a great idea for me to steal - er, borrow...
Erik,
Check out your local lawnmower or tractor dealer. My dealer sales them for $1.50 per pallet to a local buyer. They are up to their ears in wooden pallets, as the large riding lawnmowers are shipped to that way. Not to mention backhoes and impliments.
hugs, Brandi

Erik

Brandi, that's a good idea-I'll keep an eye out for them.

Paul - our local paper and the printing companies have pallet recyclers they pay to haul the pallets off, so they won't let the public have any for free.

On the other hand, Lowes will sell the crates their spring plants show up on for a buck or 2 and those make great rack shelving for the basement and barn!

N

Nicahawk

Dropped a couple more pallets of wood up next to the house this afternoon. Its a bit chilly, so we've been burning quite a bit of wood.

Putting wood on pallets sure is the way to go, beats the heck out of hand loading them into and out of trailers. Much easier to stack too, oh how I love the loader! :D
That is a great way to handle your fire wood. Looks like a big time saver, not to mention the back. With your experience and skill level I bet you have an automatic wood feeder into your stove.
icon12.gif