My brother just sent me this old photo.

quincy

A photo of the first tractor I ever drove.... back in..... oh well, some time ago. I was about 9 or 10 by the looks of the photo.

Now I know why I had a burning need to but a kubota some 27 or so years later... He only found this photo after I bought the kubota I have now...

Hard to tell the model. not a 7100 anyway, the air filter is on the wrong side. Any ideas guys?

Tractor.jpg

That's pretty cool a blast from the past. The picture does rais a couple of questions though. What is the frame that goes all the way around the tractor for? And------- By the looks of the fence behind ya ---you grew up in a prison:fishing:

Mith

Looks like a B6000 to me, the air filter gives it away ;)

:D, neat to see the pic though, probably didnt think back then that you'd end up owning one eh!

mobilus

That's pretty cool a blast from the past. The picture does rais a couple of questions though. What is the frame that goes all the way around the tractor for? And------- By the looks of the fence behind ya ---you grew up in a prison:fishing:

For the life of me, I can't figure out the bumper deal on the tractor. Notice the places to tie off ropes? And what's the round thing on the front end?

If it was in a prison, hummm...

quincy

Prison... :yum:

Nah, nothing as sinister...lol

theres a story coming...

My dad did some contract work for a shipping company back in the 70's. Primarily a banana import business. All the banana's would come into ireland through the port of Cork. Up to that point, the boxes of bananas would be off loaded from the ship by hand, either by crane or by slide chute. A new system was introduced and my dad was involved in getting it into operation. There were two big trailers that were basically conveyor hubs. A sort of all weather enclosed unit with walkways, ladders, loads of conveyors etc... A huge conveyor would reach up into the ship and all the boxes would come down the main conveyor, into the big 'sorting' trailer and be branched off to several smaller conveyors that ran down into the back of awaiting trucks. It was a really neat system to watch.
Anyway, my dad spent a lot of his time troubleshooting this new piece of kit and I spent my time with him and helping out when he wanted me. TBH, most of my time was spent zipping around the storage compound on the tractor (the fence you see behind the tractor is the perimeter fence around the storage compound).
The tractor was used to tow the trailers out of their compound and up alongside the ships when they came in. The trailers were about 30ft long 7-8ft wide and 8-10ft high off the axles. Impressive to think this little kubota would tow something so big. The frame around the tractor I recon was a pretty elaborate way to give a stable towing platform? Thats a big counterweight up front, solid disc of metal. I dont know why there are a series of cleats all along the side of the towing frame either...? Both trailers were painted yellow, i guess they painted the bota for continuity... I wonder why they didnt paint the seat too...?

Look, you can see a couple of stacks of conveyors behind the tractor... PROOF. lol :yum: :yum:

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
good pic Quincy. Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering about that round thing. It all makes sense now, except for the side cleats ... I suppose they were not needed but already on the material they had to use for the rail ..so they went with it.

shinnlinger

My dad used to have b7100...he said It was the first CUt to have 4x4 at the time (Late 70's) He was the envy of the town for a long time, but it had a poorly designed rear end that always leaked.

I like the Ag tires on you model Quincy.