Hay bale spear for FEL

mobilus

Have any of you built or bought a hay bale spear that hooks on to your FEL bucket? I know, it would be better to not have the bucket on, but that's a limitation I must live with right now. If you have any pictures of what you use, please post them so I can build something. My neighbor wants to hire me to load 40 round bales on a six-bale trailer for him...

Thanks!

Have any of you built or bought a hay bale spear that hooks on to your FEL bucket? I know, it would be better to not have the bucket on, but that's a limitation I must live with right now. If you have any pictures of what you use, please post them so I can build something. My neighbor wants to hire me to load 40 round bales on a six-bale trailer for him...

Thanks!

As soon as the weather breaks that's on the to do list. Mine will be QA. I have used a couple of different types and I have settled on 2 spears about 30" apart In line with each other horizontally.

As long as the bales don't weigh too much a bucket attache one isn't bad. As soon as you get into the heavier bales you need to get the bucket off, and bring the load as close to the loader arms as possible.

These guys have a bunch of different types to but or you can just get some ideas on how to do it. I have ordered three spears from them to date and have had nothing but great sucess with them as a company.

Ed

http://www.hayspear.com/

Archdean

Bale spears are very common here but I have never seen nor delivered one that was attached directly to the bucket rather they normaly fit on a Quick attach mount in place of the bucket!!

A shift forward of the CG caused by the depth of the bucket will multiply 1200# considerably!

Link with pictures on ideas

Bale spears are very common here but I have never seen nor delivered one that was attached directly to the bucket rather they normaly fit on a Quick attach mount in place of the bucket!!

A shift forward of the CG caused by the depth of the bucket will multiply 1200# considerably!

Link with pictures on ideas

All of the above plus you have to deal with the weight of the bucket reducing the bale weight you can deal with...

shinnlinger

Hey,

go get an old axle shaft (like off your c-10) and sharpen it up and use the lug end to attach something to your bucket and try to move a bale or two. Make sure you have the heaviest thing you own on the back and see what happens. If you go slow and are careful it might just work "good enough"

Archdean

While I'm not in any way trying to be disagreeable!

But any single attachment point will concentrate an excess amount of weight and "If you go slow and are careful it might just work "good enough" to bend your bucket beyond repair!

For 40 bales and if it is a must have to do thing, any reputable dealer will normally let you try one if your serious about purchasing one in the future!!

These are made from sturdy stock and give an equal force to both arms on your FEL (important)!

A penny saved is often 1200 lbs foolish!

shinnlinger

Valid point Dean,

but bent beyond repair? With us rednecks nothing is beyond repair, that is why it sits resting (rusting?) in the back yard, even if it is unusable in it's current condition.

mobilus

That's the truth, Shinn! That lack of social sophistication brings out the inventor, explorer, scholar, (and a myriad of other descriptors), in us.

Dean, don't worry...whatever I end up doing, it'll be with an eye toward safety. Just one eye, though...the other one is watching the experiment. I've lived my whole adult life in an ORM-driven environment...

Archdean

Not worried but I do add that because this is a forum, others not as well versed in force dynamics have the opportunity to take the ideas we present all too literally!

My point is, we owe it to all to not unconsciously lead them down a path we ourselves would not go!

Thanks,
Dean

mobilus

Heck, they do that to themselves every time they turn on the television nowadays. Seems that stupidity and lack of responsibility for one's actions reigns supreme...have you seen some of the stupid stuff on YouTube? Problem is, they do this stuff, break themselves into pieces and then show up at an emergency room with no insurance...heck, pass that bill on to all the responsible people.

Okay, I've ranted enough...

But I understand your point.

Westendorf

Thanks!

Depending on size of your loader, this may work for you. You may need to make a few modifications to retro fit it to a non-Westendorf bucket. It retails for around $300 and it comes with good spear tapered for easy penetration and quick release. http://www.loaders.com/aspx/Product/Default.aspx?productid=56

Attachments

• SP-22-BIG.jpg
    SP-22-BIG.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 53