Unimog tractors?

mtmogs

MtMOg,

NOw will you post it in the trailers and other vehicles section or the off road vehicles section? Feel free to respond there if you want to.

I have concluded (perhaps incorrectly) that mogs are like those old shopsmith power tools. The ones that can be a drill press, lath, table saw, etc, but seem to be a hassle to convert from one mode to another and cost about the same if you went and bought each tool seperatly ready to go.

Honestly, for the money, do you find the mog better than a conventional tractor? I have seen them with FEL's and hoes and brush hogs and all that, but they seem to all compromise a bit more than if they were on a tractor, but you would know better. Do you mount your hoe on the front or the back? Why aren't there more of them out there?

I guess the trump is you can drive yours like a truck, but an old pickup aint hard to find, and how is that thing on the highway?

Hi Shinnlinger,

Thanks for your questions. I'll give answering a crack. First off, know that I don't own a conventional tractor, never have, although I grew up with a '40's vintage farmall that belonged to my dad so it will be hard for me to compare the unimog to a more modern tractor from personal experience. I think I'll just go over my logic for purchasing a unimog, and then tell the story of the farmer that I bought it from and give his perspective. Sorry for the *very* long story...but you asked!

I live in a snow belt in NW Montana. We usually have 3 feet plus on the ground by mid January. I and my few neighbors used to clear our lane (and personal driveways) with truck-mounted snowplows. The problem with plows of course is that when the berms get to be 4' high or so, then plows do little good as there's nowhere to push the snow. We used to resort to calling in heavy equipment in mid-winter and sometimes again towards spring, usually a large dozer or wheel loader, graders didn't work that well. Well, this was expensive, inconvenient, and didn't prevent the neighborhood from getting stranded when it would snow for a week straight.

I decided a snowblower was the answer to our problems, as it could cast the snow over the banks and the road could be kept open. To that end I looked into hydraulic snowblowers for skidsteers (I have an older ASV Posi-Track) but at $6K + found them to be too expensive for one attachment. I looked around at a few of these units and figured I could build one myself. To that end, I started learning about "computer numeric control" (CNC) and stepper motors and such in order to build a gantry cutting system for my plasma cutter. This would let me cut the metal shapes that I would need to build the blower with a good degree of precision. I built it and then built the blower. The blower worked better than I expected and I still use it today, but even though it uses both of the posi-track's aux. hydraulic circuits ( probably close to 40 gpm max.), I found it could use some more power, especially when clearing a mile of road.

So what to do? I got my hands on an old perkins diesel and set about cobbling together old hyd. pumps, tanks, valves to build a hydraulic power unit to power the blower. The power unit and the blower head would weigh in the range of 2200-2500 pounds, which brought me to the next issue: where could I find a vehicle sprung heavily enough to deal with that weight?

It was at this time that I thought of the Unimog, and knew it could handle the load with ease. But how to justify the cost? Well we were about to start building our cabin in a remote spot up near the Canadian border. One thing we could use for sure was a backhoe to dig the foundation and septic, and not a toy. I looked at the skidsteer attachment backhoes and considered most to be toys. The ones that were truly heavy duty and had 8'+ digging depth were very pricey, in excess of $7K. I thought about buying a used backhoe loader, but they were pricey, would require a big equipment trailer to transport, and a big truck to pull that...plus it wouldn't help with the snow issue. I had seen backhoes on unimogs, and the unimog could drive itself to the job, no need for trailer or truck, and it could help with the snow problem.

So I started shopping for a Unimog. I was lucky to find one quickly, and it had a backhoe! I bought the pair from a farmer/unimog dealer in Nebraska for $13K as I recall. I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find a pair like this for less than $20k today however. Shortly after I bought the Unimog, a friend alerted me to an industrial snowblower head and power pack located down in Ketchum, Idaho. I got it for little more than the cost of transportation and, although it was a bit of work to adapt it to my unimog, it works fantastic. At this point, there was no sense in building the perking power unit (it now powers a genset). All my problems were solved.

Now, about the guy I bought it from and his reasoning for owning unimogs. He's a soybean farmer down in Nebraska working the family farm. The soybean market in the late '80s was not good to him and he found himself facing loss of the family farm. To stay afloat, he was left to auctioning off some of his equipment, but this posed the problem of how to continue the business of farming.

It was this pressure that forced him to consider the unimog. He purchased his first one, complete with backhoe,loader, and 3 pt. He was able to sell some trucks, tractors, sprayers, and backhoe and was able to stay afloat and still runs his soybean operation to this day. His "born again" experience with the unimog led him to eventually owning several, and now he has a side business in selling and servicing them. His son is supposed to be one of the top unimog mechanics in the country.

So I guess my advice would be if it is truly a tractor you are looking for, then a tractor is probably a good choice. They're generally cheaper, and certainly easier to service and find parts for. If you're looking for a more versatile machine, then consider a unimog.

Below are some pics of the unimog and backhoe. It's no toy. I guess I should mention that J.I.Case imported unimogs, and put their own rear deck on them, added 3 pt. hitches, and offered some attachments like backhoes, trenchers, etc. The backhoe on mine is a Case Extendahoe, the same as used on one of their '70's vintage loader backhoes.

Why aren't there more of them out there? Don't know. Case gave up on them after about 10 years. From my perspective, part of it is where the tractor market has been going. It seems to me that the market has diverged with the decline in the family farm. Now the major markets seem to be a.) smaller tractors for hobby farmers and rural homeowners, and b.) very large commercial farm operations requiring very large, powerful, and specialized equipment. The Unimog fits between those two markets.

Attachments

• mog_w_hoe_2_sm.jpg
    mog_w_hoe_2_sm.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 121
  • mog_w_backhoe.jpg
    mog_w_backhoe.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 124

mtmogs

Case Unimog for Agriculture brochure

FYI:

Attachments

• case_brochure_1.jpg
    case_brochure_1.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 116
  • case_brochure_2.jpg
    case_brochure_2.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 114
  • case_brochure_3.jpg
    case_brochure_3.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 111
  • case_brochure_4.jpg
    case_brochure_4.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 115

Erik

Very Cool!:tiphat:
the only unimogs I've ever seen/heard of before this were european military surplus troop carrier type machines.
what kind of fuel "economy" do you get out of it? (hours per gallon, miles per gallon, gallons per hour?)
gas, diesel, or "mulitfuel"?

shinnlinger

Thanks MT!

I run across these from time to time, and your right, your same deal would be even more (and harder to justify) today. and your reasoining behind why we dont see more sounds logical.

BUt they are very cool and very versitile. I have seen a few with front end loaders and front pto's to boot. I could see pushing a 9 ft brush hog around being the way to go on that.

I agree with your logic on why you got yours and it looks like you scored. I am impressed with your ability to fabricate also. It doesn't sound like you mess around!

mtmogs

what kind of fuel "economy" do you get out of it? (hours per gallon, miles per gallon, gallons per hour?)
gas, diesel, or "mulitfuel"?

In terms of miles per gallon, it's interesting. On the road I seem to get right around 13 mpg whether it's completely bare, or slung with 5000 pounds of jewelery. Weird. If you figure an average speed of 37 mph, this would work out to about 2.8 gallons per hour. As far as non-highway, low-speed use I never really measured but I have the feeling it's in the 1-2 gallon per hour range.

mtmogs

Thanks MT!

You bet shinnlinger, thanks for your comments. Hope the description and the brochures clear things up a bit. As to fab ability, I guess I never realize that I'm too dumb to do a project until I'm halfway done, so then I've got to figure a way to finish it!

shinnlinger

ANd to think one of the strict guidlines that mercedes got when they went to build the thing was it had to be a "Non-military" vehicle.

I saw one in phone crew service that had a big auger on it for telephone poles.

To bad they are getting cut up into rock crawlers.

mtmogs

ANd to think one of the strict guidlines that mercedes got when they went to build the thing was it had to be a "Non-military" vehicle.

I saw one in phone crew service that had a big auger on it for telephone poles.

To bad they are getting cut up into rock crawlers.

Yup, in the wake of WWII under the Morgenthau plan, German's building 4x4 vehicles was forbidden as this was seen by the allies as a potential military application. Mercedes Benz engineers successfully appealed that they needed a motorized beast of burden that could fulfill many agricultural tasks. Thus, the unimog was born.

Yeah, I feel bad about them getting gutted for rock crawling too. They rip out the hydraulics and the pto's, except maybe for the front one because you can hook a winch to it. Tisk, tisk. I mean it's like taking a Swiss Army knife and ripping out everything but the knife blade.

mtmogs

Mercedes still makes the Unimog. They no longer mention agriculture as one of their applications, but the official web site is here:

http://www.unimog-trucks.com/

Fred

Correct. But you won't see me owning one of these any time soon. These are 3 generations newer than mine. The base model sells for at least $120K! They've mostly gotten away from ag applications, and have focused on municipal stuff like snow plowing, clearing right-of-way, sweeping, and some construction applications. I've had a chance to see the newer models up close as Glacier N.P. purchased 2 recently for snow clearing and other stuff. Each has a snow blade, sanding box, and large drum-style snow cutter driven by the front PTO. Each one cost $175K delivered as I recall.

shinnlinger

I like the dog in your first picture growling at it...

ANy more pics? I like your tire chains in the snowblower series..where did you get those?

PBinWA

Great thread! I had no idea that you could get a Unimog with a loader, backhoe, and three point hitch. That would be so cool.

You scored finding that beast!

mtmogs

I like the dog in your first picture growling at it...

ANy more pics? I like your tire chains in the snowblower series..where did you get those?

Actually the dog is a cat about to vomit in it. The tire chains are made by Trygg. I bought them used from another unimog guy. They are very heavy, ~180 pounds per chain. I think you can get these from White Mountain Chain (http://www.whitemountainchain.com/) on Bonner's Ferry, Idaho.

mtmogs

Great thread! I had no idea that you could get a Unimog with a loader, backhoe, and three point hitch. That would be so cool.

Gals you like PB. Actually, I'm still looking for a unimog loader. For now I made some loader towers and swap out the loader arms from the Posi-Track. I may have to build some arms from scratch on of these years.

mtmogs

Sorry PB, I meant to say "Glad you like" not "Gals you like" although you probably do.

I have a short video of the posi-track and unimog blowing snow on youtube. Unfortunately, there's no shots of the interesting end of the unimog chewing snow. For some reason, my wife didn't want to film the thing head-on. I think it had to do with the sparks and debris I kicked up when the blower ate a small boulder and chunk of railroad tie just before she shot this footage.

see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYku0xoAmh4

PBinWA

Awesome video! I have snow blower envy now!

Actually, I'm just really glad I don't have that much snow to deal with! Otherwise a Unimog would suddenly become very affordable.