Homemade RTV Console

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc - Stereo does rock, when I put the amp on via one of the toggle switches. I have the 2 in-ceiling speakers direct connect to the receiver. The box speakers go through the amp. The separation is because if you're not careful, the amp will drain the battery pretty quickly. I switched the battery to a marine deep-cycle which helped but there's times I don't need to crank it up so I keep the amp off.

The plastic sheet... Hmmm. I think it's black PVC or CPVC. Textured on once side, smooth on the other. I bought it black. I believe I bought it from www.usplastics.com

The "gizmo" is for the GoLight that's on the roof. That's the wired remote for it. The light also has a wireless so I can control it from outside the cab.

Attachments

• CIMG4942.jpg
    CIMG4942.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 109
  • CIMG4944.jpg
    CIMG4944.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 109

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
[AIN't There any MUD in Penn.
These guys spend all their time and money on the pretty stuff. I just use mine to save work for me and the wife. I have pressure washed it a few times in 6 years. As for mud it either falls off in my barn or the next few times up and down the hill shakes it off. I have dropped the pans and cleaned it with the washer when it was too filled up underneath.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These guys spend all their time and money on the pretty stuff.
:)

Yea, it was pretty... in 2004. Nothing wrong with "accessorizing". ;) Everything I put on gets used. Mainly lights. The replacement bed was installed since I do a lot of firewood. Since I got one of the very first RTV's made, nobody could advise on the strength of the OEM box so I removed it and made my own.

Mark.Sibole

Well seeing Bordercollie told me to get off of my lazy Azz and make my console I decided to start it today.I have to go spend money now on ned illuminated switches grrrrrrrr.OK Bordercollie now the Million dollar question for you seeing you got me in this mess lol
The flanged inset box to the right of your switch panel where in the workd did you find that????????????????????I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kanook

BCZOOM....How long did that Gun storage thingy last before a passing tree side swiped it??? And I have found that any lights, strobes etc that protrude above my roof line tend to get snatched by low flying objects (mostly tree branches and low hanging garage doors).

Last edited:

Mark.Sibole

Yes anything I would put on top would be history as soon as I pulled mine in the garage to do any kind of work on it.In the wood house i would be safe but the garage is a no no with things on the roof.I have about 1.5 inches clearance on my standard height garage door

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
On the gun case, it's a quick attach so I remove when not needed.

For both the gun rack as well as roof lights, branches haven't been a problem. My woods are on a steep hill. Leaving the trail is not an option and I keep the trail clear. I keep pruning shears in the RTV all the time so if something creeps into the trail, it's cut back.

I did learn early on to keep the RTV out of the attached garage. I did pull it in one day and sheared off the strobe (which was the only light on the roof at the time). Luckily, at that time, the strobe light was a magnetic mount so it just slid off without damage.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Silly question but I'm curious: What would you have a strobe on your RTV for?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When driving on the road at night which is relatively common especially this time of year when it's dark by 5:00.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well seeing Bordercollie told me to get off of my lazy Azz and make my console I decided to start it today.I have to go spend money now on ned illuminated switches grrrrrrrr.OK Bordercollie now the Million dollar question for you seeing you got me in this mess lol
The flanged inset box to the right of your switch panel where in the workd did you find that????????????????????I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Mark ! I got the sunglasses console thing out of a wrecked car- found it on ebay. I had to get a small one because of the size limitation on my console. (I didn't want anything mounted above my head). The lights are one of the best features of it. I think it was like $20 or so. It will hold a small pair of sunglasses in the flip up part.
Heatwave, the only reason I would use a strobe is when repairing fence on the side of the road. I think the cows would not approve of it in the pasture for sure. What a site that would be. Ha. bordercollie

Heatwave

BC: I didn't ask about the strobe, but I like to be thought of, even when it's by mistake.

I can't offer anything useful on this discussion ... I like the ideas for overhead consoles, but I don't have any accessories to control from overhead. Over the coupla years we have been discussing consoles on this site, I compiled a coupla links that may prove useful to others who might be planning console work:

http://www.otrattw.com/index.php

http://www.seasense.com/products/35/shopbrowse

Kanook

Silly question but I'm curious: What would you have a strobe on your RTV for?

I use my RTV along with my other kubotas to clear driveways in winter. Strobe comes in handy to keep any traffic aware of my presence. Actually just returned from pushing back 6 inches of the wet sloppy stuff in the dozen laneways I look after..The other two machines with snowblowers are the usual choice but the wet crap we got dumped on us yesterday keeps plugging up the blowers so the RTV chips in for conditions like this.

SURE wish the little fella had a clutch or drive train like a hydro tractor to make shuttling back and forth easier without fighting with that gear shift...but at least I now have the hydro drive in it tweeked so that shifting is satisfactory..A little bit of reverse 'creep' makes it easier to shift (for snow plowing).

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I see, those would be very useful for alerting traffic you are there, and if moving, a slow moving vehicle.
So do you all use the yellow round emergency type? Where do you get them? Are they mounted on top of the roof, or where?

I have to admit I was thinking more of a white directional disco strobe lights and could not imagine what that would come in handy for unless you had a mirror ball and wanted to disco dance. :yum:

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I plan on installing strobe lights to my rtv1100 as a safety item and use them when travelling on back roads I share with auto drivers - who seem to have little respect for just the slow moving vehicle (SMV) triangle hanging on the back window screen. Cars moving at 50 mph catch up to me (going 25 mph) pretty dang quickly.

Keifer

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
BC: I didn't ask about the strobe, but I like to be thought of, even when it's by mistake.

I can't offer anything useful on this discussion ... I like the ideas for overhead consoles, but I don't have any accessories to control from overhead. Over the coupla years we have been discussing consoles on this site, I compiled a coupla links that may prove useful to others who might be planning console work:

http://www.otrattw.com/index.php

http://www.seasense.com/products/35/shopbrowse

Sorry about that Heatwave. I better check my blood pressure- It has got the best of me more than once on here. ;) bordercollie

Kanook

?

I have to admit I was thinking more of a white directional disco strobe lights and could not imagine what that would come in handy for unless you had a mirror ball and wanted to disco dance. :yum:

DISCO STROBE.....That would go with the pretty machines Muleman was referring to earlier..keepin' beat with those big sub woofers

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Kanook, when you are pushing with a shuttle shift for a while and jump in a pickup do you pull the turn signal to reverse?