Net Tractor Talk

Net Tractor Talk (http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Buying and Pricing Forum (http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New member, fixing to get a Mahindra (http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14254)

J.Walton 11-29-2011 08:32 PM

New member, fixing to get a Mahindra

Hey yall, I am a new member, from just north of Memphis Tn, I have bought my childhood home and the 5.7 acres its on. It is all woods, has hills and gullies. I am 1 mile off the Mississippi river and on top of the bluff.

I am looking at the Mahindra 3616 with bucket (quick detach) and a bushog. The price for the tractor is 17,200 out the door, add 800 for bush hog, If I put down 8,000 I end up financing 11,360, with a monthly note of 156 for 7 years.

I am looking for thoughts, info on the 3616 and if thats a good price.

Thanks! J.Wal

bczoom 11-30-2011 08:16 AM

Can't help you on the tractor but welcome to the forum!!! Congrats on your new place? Hmmm, can I call it new if you lived there as a child?

squerly 11-30-2011 08:25 AM

I know nothing about Mahindra but I'm curious what was the deciding factor that made you decide on them?

J.Walton 11-30-2011 01:08 PM

My uncle had a lawn care / pest controls business here in memphis, and has afew pices of land that he hunts, and he has had/ has several tractors. His newest is a Mahindra, 4x4, loader, but I am not sure what model, it is not considered a compact. The back tires are around 5.5' tall. He has a new holland, and has had afewer older brands. He said the Mahindra has been the most user friendly, powerful for size, and no issues. I am not sure how many hours he has on it but I think it is 3+ years and been used lots.

I was going to get the 3016 but after pricing the 2616 I get a little more tractor for around $3,000 more. Like I said, I put $8,000 down and get a $156 monthly payment I will be good to go. I will be using it to manage the yard / woods.

Doc 11-30-2011 01:50 PM

Congrats J. :clap: Sounds like you found a good deal for sure. I've heard nothing but good stuff about Mahindra. #1 tractor maker in the world, but semi new to the US. I had not heard of them when I bought my Kubota in 02.

When will you take delivery of the tractor?

J.Walton 11-30-2011 01:55 PM

I half to get the 8g for down payment, so hopefully mid spring!

Doc 11-30-2011 06:29 PM

That's how I did it also. Saved up over winter and used my income tax refund to help pay it down.
Be sure to post pics here once you do get it. :thumb: We love tractor pics. :D

OhioTC18 11-30-2011 07:47 PM

Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I know the Mahindra owners here give them a thumbs up.

J.Walton 11-30-2011 09:57 PM

Can someone explain the difference in the "HST" and "Shuttle"

I have no Idea what this is!

Doc 12-01-2011 08:52 AM

HST = Hydro stat

HST is the bee's knees!!!!!!! Does that help? I've owned tractors that were the old standard shift and have no problem with a clutch. However, HST takes the need for using the clutch out of the equation for the most part. You put it in Low, Medium or High then let out the clutch and go. From then on as long as you stay in the same gear, you can go forward, stop, reverse and never have to touch the clutch. I am in Medium most of the time, but if I come to a steep hill I will use the clutch to put in it Low, then climb the hill.

For loader work, it is so nice to be able to get your load, back up, go forward, back up etc etc and never have to touch the clutch.

I think shuttle shift lets you shift from one gear to another while you are moving as opposed to having to come to a complete stop before shifting. I've never driven a shuttle shift so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

J.Walton 12-01-2011 08:56 AM

I got to figure out which one I want then.....

My yard is hilly. Not much of it is flat. I will be bush hogging up and down hills. I will probably be pushing/ towing small trees/ tree chunks around too. I Figure with a front end loader it would be good to get the HST?

CantonHayGuy 01-01-2012 09:10 AM

Welcome, J. Walton. I too am new to the site (just found the site). You've got some time to do research on the Mahindra's HST. Try to find out if there are any issues with it. HST is without a doubt great for loader work; however, if the hydro unit goes.... I hear it is almost the cost of a tractor to replace it. Some makes/models, HST is the only option. I won't be able to comment on the shuttle shift transmission until later this month when I take possession of my Farmall 55A. It's a geared transmission, but the shift between fwd and rev is as simple as pushing the clutch in and flipping the lever between F and R.

I sure don't have expertise in the internal workings of the HST, but in my amateur opinion, I think HST has the potentional to get overworked if a person, say, tries to do too much - in high gear.:eek: Having said that, I used my Kubota BX2230, with HST, like it was a draft horse and it never gave me an ounce of trouble!