1100 radiator flush

tlk

Have any of you done a radiator flush on your 1100? I have had a lot of dust seed and grass get in through my coils. Will a radiator flush clean this stuff out? I am having overheating issues

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The radiator flush I think about as a real flush, does the internal part of the machine. The exposed fins on the equipment I use are cleaned by using an air nozzle from the air compressor hose. If it is still bad and seedy after that, I squirt the cool radiator with the water hose and then also blow it out by air while it is still wet. Does your machine have a screen that is removable over the radiator? My does and catches a lot of the stuff but for dust. I also added screen to exposed inlets leading to radiator location and that helped a whole lot.
The fins on those radiators are delicate so try and not touch with the blow nozzle or high pressure water. bordercollie

tlk

I use water and air to try to blow the bust and grass out but I think some of it has gotten into the radiator. Yes I have the screen on the inside but dust of coarse still gets thru plus some of the grass. Is the other screen you refer to behind the radiator where the vents are?

I ran the buggy yesterday afternoon - it was 105 degrees outside so very hot. It would run for about 15-20 minutes then start heating up. The radiator water was boiling and emptying out of the overflow hose. So I would stop, let it cool down, and then refill with water. 15-20 minutes later the same thing.

Then yesterday morning I took it out and it was much cooler - 65-75 degrees - ran for an hour and half with no overheating. Could the outside temp affect it that much?

Very strange - either my thermostat is bad or the radiator is full of gunk

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Unless your plastic tank overflow 's lid came off at one time, I don't see how grass and seed could get inside the pressurized radiator. But mineralized water can build up and mess up a radiator. also, what ratio of water do you use to antifreeze? I read not to use more than 50% coolant in the radiator or it will overheat. (I have a 900 RTV. ) I put an aftermarket fan on my old 900 and it hardly ever moved off of the c mark. ( Do you hear the fan come on?) collie

tlk

yes the fan comes on - I assumed the grass etc could get in through the fins into the radiator but sounds like it can't. I run 50-50 on antifreeze but even with that it overheated. Think I will take to dealer and have them check it out.

I also noticed there is a fine screen underneath the radiator facing the ground. I guess the grass etc get into the fins through there and the open slot right in front of the bottom to the fins.