Trailer Load Capacity ?

mahindra one

Trailer Load Capacity ?
I recently bought an 18' Big Tex trailer for my tractor/FEL. (Big Tex is a very good trailer made here in Texas) Now that I have this particular trailer I have developed a concern with possibly overloading it. The details: Trailer GVWT 7000lbs.
Tractor wt. 4200lbs.
Loader wt. (shipping wt. is 1400 lbs. Not sure about net wt.)
Trailer wt. 2050 lbs.

As you can see, I am about 500 lbs. overweight. I contacted the manufacturer and of course they told me not to put more weight on it than it is designed for (naturally)
I have evaluated the structural framing and I don't have any concerns about it. The trailer and deck are only two years old and it was well kept and tracks very well.

I, coming from an engineering background can't imagine anyone building a thing such as a trailer without a margin of error. Is there anyone out there who shares my belief or even someone who thinks I would be nuts to overload it.
Thanks

Red Beard

Probably won't hurt, but this is coming from someone who bent the frame on a 3 axle 18000# trailer ( the old lady's dozer is about 28000#). If the tires are rated for it, you don't overload the tongue and keep it on level ground it should be ok. Turning on uneven ground is what got me, not bad, just looks a bit twisted. A little bigger is always better and less trouble.

Erik

The frame will handle more, and the axels should for short term stuff - the problem is if you habitually overload it a lot (like adding another 500 pounds or so of box blade or 800 pounds of filled tires)
keep the bearings lubed and watch your air pressure and you should be OK for short hauls. On longer hauls, keep an air on tire temperature. (overheating = blowout)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good advice so far. I would have no issues doing exactly what you are suggesting. One other thing to keep in mind, be sure your brakes (both trailer and tow vehicle) are in good shape. Once you get that big load moving you have to be able to stop it in a reasonable distance.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since it hasn't yet been mentioned, I'll say it.

Overweight is dangerous and against the law.

Near me, a couple years ago someone was driving with a load over the limit, messed up and killed a family, including a bunch of kids. They now throw the book at you if you're caught being over the limits.

Be safe.

Red Beard

Guess we did forget that part! Not being able to stop and/or sliding through intersections isn't safe! Neither is having your trailer push your truck sideways around a corner! Trucks also have ratings for max trailer loadings.

shvl73

I think a new 10K trailer is in your future. I'd think you'll want to haul it with some attachments more often than not. That would put you well over weight. Add a trailer tongue box to hold straps, chains and binders and more weight is piled on. I'd love to see some pictures of the Mahindra when you can post some!

mahindra one

Thanks for your feedback. Yea, thinkin about a different trailer. I haven't taken any pics yet as I got it all dirty putting in a road and it's been colder than I like even for washing it and taking pictures.