Brain trust help

tlk

I have the 1100 - 2013- 170 hours. running in south texas so it is 103+ degrees and dusty. will run a ways fine then temp gauge sneaks up. not in red but running a little hot. If I stop and idle, the temp goes down.

I spray the radiator coils off with water to get dust out. Any ideas on what is causing this? thermostat? thanks

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
First thought is:
Is your fan kicking in. Border Collie, a couple of years ago had to replace hers and I don't remember if it was on her new RTV or the older one.
When the gauge is registering hot try stopping and turn the engine off, then just turn the key back on.........Do you hear the fan??????

For me, my gauge and engine run up to the hot mark and then back down, over and over....Seems the fan kicking in must really do the job for the cooling system.........God bless......Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Make sure that you air filter is ok too. Thanks to Dennis for mentioning my fan replacement. I replaced my '05 model with a flex a lite brand from (Amazon of course_ my favorite store ;) ) It had quit working completely though. Like Dennis said, I would see if it was running when suppose too. When I cut off my engine after running around, then just turn the key, I hear it running. Now ,my intentions are to replace it on this '11 one day with another flex a lite because this machine does run up on the gauge when I and it are working hard. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13665&highlight=cooling bordercollie

tlk

Thanks - I ran it this morning about 45 minutes wide open and it was about 80Degrees outside. It did not heat up at all - stopped, turned off, and turned key back on and fan was running so I don't think that is it. I will check my air filter.

If thermostat was out then I would think it would heat up right away would it not?

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
TLK

Are all your fluid levels up to where they are supposed to be?

Curious, do you have a high rise air filter?

Keifer

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It did not heat up at all - stopped, turned off, and turned key back on and fan was running so I don't think that is it.

If thermostat was out then I would think it would heat up right away would it not?

Yes, if the thermostat was bad/out the engine would heat right up..........

AGAIN.....These engines tend to indicate/run cold on the temp gauge. I find that my B7610 does this even worse.....Must be a Kubota trait.......If I read your original post correctly, you don't say that your engine gets HOT and stays there but the gauge goes up and down with the indication being that the engine is cooling off with the fan running and then heating up again when the fan shuts down...........THIS IS TOTALLY NORMAL........... The engine heats up, fan comes on, cools down, fan goes off, heats up, fan comes on, engine cools down.............ON AND ON............

OR........does the engine heat up to the red/hot mark on the gauge and stay there?????????

God bless........Dennis

tlk

Dennis - no it never got into the red zone - but when I stopped several times with the engine still running I could hear the radiator boiling and I was getting some water coming out of the overflow -

I just checked my lower and upper filter and they both had quite a bit of dust in them - I am not a mechanic so this may be a stupid question but I assume the dirty filter could have caused the overheating? Hopefully that is all it is

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
TLK, have you cleaned the exterior portion of the radiator? Depending on your terrain and grass, the fins can get quite dirty. I find that a wand attached to a garden hose with the end flattened and bent at at 90 degree angle to provide a fan type spray works great to clean out the fouled radiator fins. Also, be sure to remove the screen located in front of the radiator. Mine has caught a lot of grass seeds in the past causing reduced air flow.

Lastly, my 2011 RTV 900 XT experienced bad temperature gauges. Probably not your issue since you've heard boiling. Mine also had an issue with one or both of the temperature thermistors.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Tlk, Mine has never made a boiling noise nor left water under it.
Have anyone ever added straight anti freeze to the radiator? I read that MORE than a 50/50 mix will cause over heating..... collie

Mark.Sibole

Every machine and gauge is different.If the engine cools down at idle it tells me the fan is kicking in.On my machine my temp gauge goes up close to the red line but never into the red.It has been that way since ive owned it.The engines do run a tad hot and throw in some very hot outside temps and they will run hotter.So long as it dosnt get into the red and the fan is working i would say no worries.If in dout you can flush the rediator and add new fluids but im suspecting you will have the same temp reading.

tlk

TLK, have you cleaned the exterior portion of the radiator? Depending on your terrain and grass, the fins can get quite dirty. I find that a wand attached to a garden hose with the end flattened and bent at at 90 degree angle to provide a fan type spray works great to clean out the fouled radiator fins. Also, be sure to remove the screen located in front of the radiator. Mine has caught a lot of grass seeds in the past causing reduced air flow.

Lastly, my 2011 RTV 900 XT experienced bad temperature gauges. Probably not your issue since you've heard boiling. Mine also had an issue with one or both of the temperature thermistors.

Yes I do spray the screen and radiator coils on a regular basis - that seems to help for awhile but then it starts overheating again.

tlk

Every machine and gauge is different.If the engine cools down at idle it tells me the fan is kicking in.On my machine my temp gauge goes up close to the red line but never into the red.It has been that way since ive owned it.The engines do run a tad hot and throw in some very hot outside temps and they will run hotter.So long as it dosnt get into the red and the fan is working i would say no worries.If in dout you can flush the rediator and add new fluids but im suspecting you will have the same temp reading.

Thanks - yeah running in 103-106 degree heat has to affect it some. THe gauge never gets to the red - but if I am running wide open for a while and then stop and shut the unit off, I can hear the radiator boiling - so that concerns me. I may try the radiator flush -

tlk

well took it to the dealer to see what they find out on the overheating - will pass on what they tell me once I know

tlk

well took it to the dealer to see what they find out on the overheating - will pass on what they tell me once I know

Just picked my buggy up - one of the two radiator caps had a bad seal and therefore I was losing water slowly and then it would heat up. Simple fix