Started 2009 Garden

Archdean

Tilled the garden yesterday, just letting it settle for a few days before I plant the peas, onions, spinach, radishes and the first sowing of some lettuce seed!

Also started the tomato's (Better Boy) and a few jalapeño M peppers in the green house today!

How is your garden progressing?

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 30

Mith

I was wondering when we'd be seeing the start of your seasons work Dean.

Hoping my patch will be looking like yours next weekend. Still just a little damp this weekend.
Going to plant a few hundred onions, maybe some spuds. Asparagus isnt too far off sprouting now. :)

thcri RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
We can't really start a garden in our area until the first or second week in May. But I did get it all tilled up last year and the Flex planter is ready to go.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Being in Texas, I'm a little ahead of you guys.

Got all the cool weather stuff in, potatoes, green peas, lettuce, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, radishes, beets and turnips. I've got some squash and tomatoes started in peat pots but I'm going to wait about 3 or 4 weeks before I start buying and putting out all the warm weather stuff. I finished rebuilding my wife's kitchen garden this weekend. I built her 4 new raised beds and got everything mixed and ready for her to plant her herbs and "things". I've got the watering systems rigged up and working in all 3 veggie gardens. For once I think I'm in good shape and ahead of the game.

I'm hoping for a really good year this year. Fingers crossed.

Oh, forgot to mention that we had our fist asparagus about 2 weeks ago. Just 6 spears but they were wonderful. I've got about another 4 or 5 ready to cut tomorrow. Man, I love this time of year when the asparagus is starting to grow, the trees are starting to bud out and things are greening up.

Last edited:

Erik

it's too wet to till right now - and has been for several weeks - with no dry in sight in the next 10 days...

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I thought that I'd better post an update.

At the beginning of the month I started planting my tomatoes (Roma) until my wife told me about a predicted late freeze. I covered most of them up but still lost about 25 plants and most of my potatoes froze but seem to be a comeback. I'll watch and see what happens in the next few weeks. I did get the rest of the tomatoes in, 5 different varieties, and 5 different kinds of sweet bell peppers, banana peppers, 3 different kinds of squash, zucchini, 3 different kinds of eggplant, cantalope. We've been picking lettuce and asparagus for weeks and it's still good.

I think that's about all the planting I'm going to do this spring. Can't wait for harvest time.

thcri RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am glad I have not planted yet. With the soil being so dry and the fact the farmers are seeding I thought this last weekend I could plant. Luckily business took me out of town and did not plant as we got a pretty good frost last night. I am sure I would not have hurt anything but maybe a tad bit too risky yet.

murph

B

bczoom

I got some of mine in about a week ago. Luckily, I stuck with seeds only as we too got a frost a couple days ago. Peppers and tomatoes will have to wait for another few weeks.

Mith

My onions went in on Sunday, some of the other stuff is starting to come up now. There must be about 150 onions in now, probably put some more in next week.
Asparagus is nearly ready for the first cut!

Archdean

Pickleing The BEETS

A little water, a row of fresh from the garden Ruby Red beets, some horse radish, vinigar and a bunch of other stuff!!;)

Attachments

• IMG_0564.jpg
    IMG_0564.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 23