JD 4240 hydro PTO will not disengage.

hotcoffee crew

My JD 4240 Has hydrostatic PTO and PTO turns all the time. If you decide to Bush Hog you must Hook Up PTO before cranking the Tractor and PTO does not stop turning until you switch tractor off.

jd110

Depending on which transmission(powershift or quad range) different things can go wrong. pto brake could be worn out or clutch could be damaged and dragging. Also linkage can be out of adjustment or worn out or broken. Does the pto run under load even when lever is in disengaged position?

jd110

What is the history on this? Has it ever worked properly since you owned it? If so, did it gradually get to this point or was it a gradual thing? If it runs under load, then chances are that the clutch is fried and that in turn usually wears out the brake. The clutch is accessed at split between engine and clutch housing. The brake is between clutch housing and transmission housing. Before splitting, I would check clutch and brake pressures to be sure the valve is working properly.

hotcoffee crew

One day after bush hogging, it would not disengage any more. The lever on the left side of steering column will move as always but it does not disengage pto.

SheilaF

My JD 4240 Has hydrostatic PTO and PTO turns all the time. If you decide to Bush Hog you must Hook Up PTO before cranking the Tractor and PTO does not stop turning until you switch tractor off.
It sounds like a couple of things are happening here, but it could be as simple as a loose connection or a bad switch. The first thing you want to do is to inspect all of the wirings, look for things that appear out of the ordinary, burns, discoloration, corrosion, etc. Look at all your connectors. Are they tight? Make sure you have the proper voltage for the tractor. If everything is okay and it is still not working correctly, you may want to take it to an equipment dealer for further diagnosis.