Seat Recovering for cheap and it looks it too

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
OK be warned... , This is one of the most unattractive end result projects I've ever done . But, it saved a wad of cash and since the only things viewing the seat are cows and Dixie the collie, I am happy to save $$$. I got everything from a mazon
So here goes.... First mistake was choosing light gray vinyl. It was on special so I got weak and chose it.. shoulda been the dark gray. it would have been so much better then and hidden some of the puppy foot prints and my errors.
I detached the seat from the RTV and made a shallow cut around the edges of the old vinyl with a utility knife.Then the old vinyl just peeled off (like a tangerine :) . Then I tried to fill in a little hole in the foam with some other foam pieces I had- Its better not to procrastinate this job because the sunlight will quickly break down the old seat's exposed foam. It just sorta rots - quickly too - There was a large hole right where I sit to drive and Dixie would always put her rear foot in it for traction - that helped "waller" it out .
I measured 3 x and cut the material- leaving a little extra pays off . Since I was also using a foam spray adhesive I made some marks so I would start with the material centered.
I worked from back to front and slowly and firmly spread the vinyl over the tacky contact cement as I brought it to me.. Go slow because that 3M foam contact cement is some good stuff.
2nd mistake I made was spraying the whole seat and entire piece of replacement vinyl . I should have left the corners for doing one at a time because as I was folding the vinyl over towards me and got to the corners, the vinyl end folds met and were good and stuck but to each other not the foam.. .
I used my Arrow staple gun and tacked down the edges to the underside. I also sprayed some of the adhesive to the area before stapling.
$12.50 for the rather thick yet soft vinyl plus the on sale- $7.50 can of adhesive, I have a dry place to sit and not worry about the puppy dog and her toenails. It's ok for a working farm RTV but not for a fancy one and yes, I'd get a factory seat if I was gonna sell it but I'm not so have $240 saved.
In picture #4, the one with the seat on the worktable , the wrinkled up material in view is an old sheet to help keep grease and grime off of the new material whick is shown in the same picture flipped over and with the adhesive sprayed on it. Then, I pulled it back and sprayed the foam. That is a good quality adhesive !. And that's Dixie (aka leg breaker because she falls off of everything) hence the very short chained safety vest when in motion which is short so she won't have the length to fall off and be dragged) ... Yea,, had to go to MSU to get that leg fixed...... Now I'm reducing chances all I can so she does wear her safety vest when in motion and no 4 whlr - no way.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01E5YEXGS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3M Foam & Fabric 24 Spray Adhesive Orange, 20 fl Ounce can, Net Weight 13.75 Ounce

bordercollie

Attachments

• 1525469548170.jpg
    1525469548170.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 1525469555364.jpg
    1525469555364.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 1525469628292.jpg
    1525469628292.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 1525471416014.jpg
    1525471416014.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 1525471759365.jpg
    1525471759365.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 1525471768940.jpg
    1525471768940.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 113
  • KIMG0025.jpg
    KIMG0025.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 114
  • KIMG0012.jpg
    KIMG0012.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Found a picture of the "big dipper" seat hole .

Attachments

• KIMG0001.jpg
    KIMG0001.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 107

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It works, the poopy finds it just right comfy, and it keeps your rear end bouncy and in the right place...…...Sounds like you did a just right job.....….God bless...…….YOUR Bud

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
my only criticism is"you should have spent a few coin and got a print with little collie dogs on it"

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, your old seat took a beating. New seat looks great.

An option for your consideration. To protect my seat and provide traction for the dog, I covered my seat with tool box drawer liner. Being only 12" wide, it takes a few strips. I just tip the seat forward, fold it under the back of the seat to secure it then put the seat down. For the front side, it just drapes over the front of the cushion.

This provides plenty of protection and traction and since they're just tucked in to keep in place, if/when they get dirty, just lift them off and shake them out.

This one says black, mine is grey but it gives you an idea.
https://www.amazon.com/Liner-Non-Adhesive-Shelf-Anti-Slip-Drawer/dp/B079Y7TZMN/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8r

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
By the way, REALLY NICE WRITE UP AND THE PICS TELL THE HOW TO DO THE JOB...…..Few do this kind of thing like YOU do and I for one, really appreciate the techniques involved...…….THANKS...….God bless......Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank ya'll for the kind words. I do appreciate each one. :tiphat:
This week, we have had lots of rain and it was sure nice having a seat without a water absorbing sponge to sit on. :) Do regret the light color though. collie

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Thank ya'll for the kind words. I do appreciate each one. :tiphat:
This week, we have had lots of rain and it was sure nice having a seat without a water absorbing sponge to sit on. :) Do regret the light color though. collie

Nothing worse than a wet crack in a sponge seat!