Is it worth it?

PattyFaye

My brother has offered to give me a Yanmar 1100D tractor that he "says" is in good working condition. I need a small tractor to do basically mowing ( about 3 acres). The tractor is light in the front and he says it needs weight. I really need a front loader added. I am not that mechanical but can do oil and filters, etc. So,
1. How hard is it to get parts for this model? (I understand it is a "grey" tractor and not made since 1982)
2. How difficult to put a front loader on it? Would it be worth the cost?
3. Is this big enough to handle mowing the 3 acres?

I know this is basically like asking "How long is a piece of string?" but would welcome anyones thoughts on this.

winston

The 1100 is 11pto horsepower. It would need a small mower and I don't know if you are wanting to finish mow or pasture mow with a rotary cutting. There was a gentleman on another forum with a YM135 (similiar size to the 1100) looking for a 3' rotary mower. Lot to be considered. How fast do you have to mow it? How often? How tall and thick?

Hoye shows a pretty good stocking of parts for that model.

My little bit of research shows some have put a loader on the 1100 and yours being 4 wheel drive is a big plus. I read of a 36" bucket so you would have to know digging ponds might be a slow process. These folks sell an inexpensive loader. http://www.coldwatertractors.com/loaders.html

My final thought is if he is giving it to you how can you go wrong?? :confused2:

PattyFaye

WINSTON,
Thank you for your info. I was planning on using it to rough mow horse pastures and maybe drag the dirt road (1/2 Mi) to houSe Another question...how reliable are these tractors.I had never heard of the brand until now. I did a little research and got mixed messages. That is why I was concerned about parts and repairs. Also safety issues.

winston

They are very simply made, easy to work on. Very reliable but I have no idea about the condition of the tractor in question. If it is indeed in "good" condition then you should get years of service. But you must remember this is a 30+ year old tractor.

Some have had roll bars added and they can be added. If your usage is flat ground it might not be necessary.

Does the tractor have any equipment with it?

LincTex

I bought a YM2000 (late 70's model) that someone got carried away with the "starting fluid" and broke the engine bad (Not Yanmar's fault)... after fixing the engine, it has been dead reliable, and REALLLLLY easy on the fuel (I can work it for hours and not even use 1 gallon!!)

I would buy that little puppy in a heartbeat (can't argue with free) and if you don't like it you will have NO PROBLEM selling it. In this part of Texas, a good used YM1100 will bring over $2000 easily if it's in good shape. They are PERFECT garden tractors... A couple months I saw a Ford (made by Shibaura) 1100 (same size little bitty diesel tractor as yours) sell for $3500!!!

Once you have the cash, go buy whatever you feel is the right size machine for you.

PattyFaye

No implements and I don't know actual condition. He says it runs and started right up after sitting several month. Thank you for your insight.:thankyou

LincTex

He says it runs and started right up after sitting several month.

It sounds like the engine is in good shape. A diesel can sit for years and still start easy because diesel doesn't gum up in a couple months like gasoline does.

Oh, do not confuse "11 HP" from a diesel like this Yanmar with "11HP" like what you see a "normal" riding lawnmower is rated at, - - - the two can't be compared. I'll bet that little Yanmar 1100 with a 4 foot finish mower will cut grass and weeds that my 20HP 46" gas riding lawnmower can only cut in its dreams!