check your carrier bearing on your rtv900

markc

bearing totally gone at 412 hours. started hearing a rattle about a month ago figured it was my front axle slop last knight i was on a short elk viewing expudition.when holly cow what a noise sounded like the whole bottom was falling out of this thing looked under there and the bearing was gone and the shaft had a groove around it from laying on the plate that holds the bearing could not tell if the bearing had sled back or what it was dark and i was mad. today i ordered the bearing and shaft figured what the hell another 106.00 in the money pit.bought new in 2007 rtv 900 replaced four u joints in the rear axle 5 rear bearing one half shaft rear axle and guest what the new u joints have zerk fitting now this carrier bearing not to mention the front drive shaft slop. this is my second rtv 900 first was a 2004 and this 2007. and i do take good care of my equipment. try to stay out of water and mud as much as possible. kubota needs to take a good look at some of there design rethink them. there fealling way to early if it had 4000 hours i say okay but 400 something wrong folk.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Markc , That happened to me at around 1800 hrs. I replaced it again when I replaced the rattling shaft over a year ago. I have a bit over 3400 hrs on mine now. I have also replaced the rear ujoints/bearings /seals but would have to search the forum to find out when I fumed about that... I think it was about 2 years ago in April. That was another thing- the dealership wanted to charge 2x what the rate book said. Was charging 2 times for breaking it down even though it would already be done for the first side. I didn't let them have the job and won't be buying from them when the time comes . Really though, I take care of it and like you would like for these issues to be solved once and for all but the similar machine (Hehaw) I had before was much worse and had blow by after just a few years and just over 1000 hrs. This engine I like but I agree the joint/shaft issues are the Achilles heel of this otherwise great machine.-- Bordercollie

rjglenn

Mine went at 800 hrs. The two UV joints on the front section of the shaft are bad too. Saturday I took the entire front drive shaft off and will run it as two wheel drive until I start getting stuck and feel I need 4WD. With all the other problems I've been having with the head gasket I don't feel like spending the cash for a new front drive shaft & carrier bearing. I'm starting to think these aren't very well made...

markc

parts is 49.00 for the bearing 56.00 for the shaft part that goes threw the bearing thats not to bad .i wonder if the bearing could be taoed and a zerk fitting put in the race would probely be case harden and be to hard to drill. will look at in when thay come in

Mark.Sibole

Bump:::::::anyone have an old bearing theu can measure for me to see if i can find a suteable after market bearing.Ill need outside diameter,thickness and inner or shaft diameter.BTW Merry Christmas to all and yes im still alive

Lee1935

Many larger cities will have a business that sells nothing but bearings, they will have reference material on every type of bearing ever made.

quid_non

Bump:::::::anyone have an old bearing theu can measure for me to see if i can find a suteable after market bearing.Ill need outside diameter,thickness and inner or shaft diameter.BTW Merry Christmas to all and yes im still alive

wow = none of this sounds good. What/where is this carrier bearing and how can I check - - got a 2007 RTV 900 w/ ~1000 hrs
Thanks

shinnery

quid non. it will be close to center under your machine. It is near the middle of the front driveshaft. The shaft runs from the transaxle to the front differential. New RTVs have a one piece shaft and no longer use a carrier bearing.
Bryce

quid_non

Thanks all for the discussion and links - sounds like my bearing also is going bad - 2007 RTV900 w/~1000hrs. Messicks sells the part (k7561-16852/bearing-radial) for ~$60 not including S/H.

Any tips/suggestions on the replacement process to be aware of?
Thanks for any help - - Happy New Year!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
There's a thread on here about how I replaced mine. I'll try and find it. I think I remember that after removing the old one, I slipped the shafts into the new one and raised it up all together. Then mounted the bolts.Best I remember... "as it comes down, so it goes up." bordercollie

Look at this thread also. and see the post dated 3-25-10 about direction of bearing. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12734&highlight=carrier+bearing

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I edited my last post to include a link to an additional thread. The direction of the old bearing is to be noted. Good luck and keep us informed.
I do remember when mine went out that it sounded like a log wagon when I tried to move. bordercollie

quid_non

Great - many thanks for the advice and links Collie. I'll update when I get the part. Good to know about the bearing direction - would not thought of that!