Hydraulic problems

dsnider

Hi guys,
Haven't been here for awhile, but as "Fate" would have it, I have a problem. I have an old Ferguson TO20, and left it out in the rain. Water got into the hydraulic system, and now it will not work. I drained the old oil out, and flushed the system with 10 gallons of Kerosene, then re-filled with Hydraulic oil. Well, the thing still will not work. Some time ago, the same thing happened. (See a pattern here?)I had to replace a part (???) in the hydraulic system and it eventually started to work. Any ideas on what to try next? Any and all responses would be appreciated. :bonk:
Dave Snider
BTW: How much fluid does this system hold??

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Seal comes to mind, but I would think you would notice if hydraulic fluid was seeping out somewhere in the system.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
could be an internal seal that went out.never used kerosene to flush hydraulics i was alway told never put anything other than hydraulic oil in it.when we would fluch out hydraulic systems on cranes we would just keep running hydraulic oil through them with alot of filter changes until the water and contaminates was gone.now the oil companys and crane owners do have the money to have this done large systems hold a few hundred gallons of oil and gets costly when you have to clean them out and change seals.all it takes is one speck of rust or dirt to tear up a oring seal.plus the rams must always be clean and never left in the extended position because if rust forms on the ram arm it will cut up the o ring seals on the ram.