Looking for info on a log splitter

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
I'm giving in to the benefits of having a log splitter. I hate it because it means I'm getting older (or maybe smarter) and don't enjoy the challenger of attacking a log with a mall/wedge. But it-is-what-it-is and I've made the decision, so now I'm looking for info...

Do I want a unit that connects to my Kubota of do I want an all inclusive unit? What kind of strength? 10 ton, 20 ton? Horizontal or Vertical ? Brand?

Any help is appriciated!

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
You tractor jockeys aren’t worth a damn when it comes to splitters are ya? Anyway, found a 35 ton at Tractor Supply for $1,899.00 but I didn’t want to spend that much. And it doesn’t have a 4-way wedge either and that’s something I really do want.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Nixon is the pro and he's over at FF. I've had a 20 ton stand alone (works horizontal or vertical) from Lowes for over 10 years. I loved it ........ until I got free gas. Now it gets traded between my BIL (summer time camp wood) and best friend (winter time wood stove). I haven't seen it in a couple years ................ :eek:

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
I dont have one yet squerly, but have been looking for one for some time for use with my tractor. My farmer neighbor bought one of these and is very happy with it, its not a hog but does the job for most of the trees we have in our area. He built his own attachment for the 4 way split which I plan to do as well.

Dont know it it helps or not.

http://www.logsplittersdirect.com/Ramsplitter-3PT16H-Log-Splitter/p3329.html
Thanks Cowboy. I was looking at these as well but decided against it because i don't want to tie up my tractor and log splitter at the same time. I went by a friends place today and looked at his. He's a welder (no, he's a welding artist) and he built his own splitter. Man, it was neat! I'm still leaning toward the DR as it has such a quick recovery time. I've bought other DR equipment and so far I've not been able to break any of it.

shvl73

How much wood do you burn per year?
I have a cheapo china special I bought at Home Cheapo a couple of years ago. It stills runs & splits anything I have. I wont say it's for everyone, though. I wouldn't have bought it if it was more than the $600 I paid. It goes vertical for the the large pieces you'd rather not lift. I used it tonight for about an hour. The basic speeco unit can be bought @ TSC for $999 on sale & I have seen positive reviews. If you go through a lot of wood, I'd look at a super split/ wood wolf type unit.

Attachments

• 0124001524 (800 x 600).jpg
    0124001524 (800 x 600).jpg
    127 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Cowboy. I was looking at these as well but decided against it because i don't want to tie up my tractor and log splitter at the same time. I went by a friends place today and looked at his. He's a welder (no, he's a welding artist) and he built his own splitter. Man, it was neat! I'm still leaning toward the DR as it has such a quick recovery time. I've bought other DR equipment and so far I've not been able to break any of it.

Gotcha squerly, makes sense. Them homebuilt ones can definatly be more suited when they are built right. :tiphat:

I'm just the opposite though, having two tractors I need to maintain anyway, having a seperate log splitter to keep running as well. I suck at keeping small gas equipment running for some reason. :bonk:

Also funny you mention "welding artist" because I consider myself as one also, anything I weld looks more like some weird art then resemble any weld I have ever seen. :yum:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good. I've been looking at those. The DR is a clone of the SuperSplitter which has been around for years (decades?). Reviews on that design are very high.

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
It's here! (DR Rapid fire) Picking it up at the shipping dock later today or first thing tomorrow AM. I've never been this excited to go out and split wood before... :wink:

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
It's here! (DR Rapid fire) Picking it up at the shipping dock later today or first thing tomorrow AM. I've never been this excited to go out and split wood before... :wink:

Congrats, looking forward to the video's now that I know you know how to do that. :D . Pics are great but your videos are more entertaining. :biggrin:

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
Still in the box. Have to get the tractor and lift it out.

Attachments

• IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0130.jpg
    IMAG0130.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 55

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Still in the box. Have to get the tractor and lift it out.
Why? Just get going fast in reverse then hit your brakes hard. It'll slide right out the back. :tiphat:

On the side of the splitter, I can make out what appears to be "Professional" and "For Homeowners". Which is it? Just kidding. Whichever, I've heard nothing but great things about these splitters.

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
LOL, just call me the "wood master". I unloaded my splitter (that's another story) last night and assembled it. This morning it's raining cats-n-dogs with no sign of slacking up. So I loaded 10-12 pieces of oak that had been tossed off to the side of my normal splitting area and hauled them up to the barn where the splitter sat waiting. (The reason they were tossed off to the side is because they're the nasty guys, the ones that just laugh at you when you attach them with a mall.)

Started with the 2nd pull. Loaded on the first mean, nasty, ugly 16" log. Pulled the leaver forward. Wow... I'm forever indebted to the folks at DR. It took about 5 minutes (if that long) to divide these twisted gnarly mother rapers into obedient pieces of firewood.

I'm stoked to say the least. I've been swinging a mall for all the years of my life. Today I traded my mall for a lever, and I'm never looking back... :thumb:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Outstanding!!!
I think I'm going to keep an eye out for someone looking for a splitter, then sell them mine. This DR (aka. Super Splitter) sounds like a winner.