RTV900 electrical issue

brookshirefarm

Ok so my 06 rtv 900 is having some weird power issues. When you turn the key sometimes the dash lights come on and sometimes they dont. Battery is brand new within a couple months and test at 12.7v. I get 12v at starter also. The timer relay was making a buzzing noise when I turned the key off, whenever the gauges came on, so I just replaced that and nothing changed. I hooked up my tractor with jumper cables and it was doing the same thing, but after about 15 min and a few tries it cranked up. I let it run a little while and turned it off. tried to crank it again and nothing. Any ideas? Starter relay maybe?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Brookshirefarm,With the lights coming and going, I'd check the battery cables -and make sure that they aren't corroded and for sure the cable where it is grounded to the frame. I would probably clean the ground and retighten for th heck of it and to eliminate that. good luck ! bordercollie.

brookshirefarm

So there is some kind of power distribution block on the drivers side mouted to the wall in front of the battery.The wire going into it tests good but the other 3 wires coming off have 0 volts. Is that normal? If not I cant find that part listed anywhere to buy it. Any help would be appreciated thanks

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So there is some kind of power distribution block on the drivers side mouted to the wall in front of the battery.The wire going into it tests good but the other 3 wires coming off have 0 volts. Is that normal?

Is that the fuse panel you are talking about????..........When you take off the cover there are fuses inside. Both sides should test with 12V if the fuses are OK, not burnt out. If there are burnt out only one side will test 12V. Take out the fuse, check for resistance with your VOM across. You should show continuity across the fuse. If not it is blown, burnt out. Replace.............

brookshirefarm

Is that the fuse panel you are talking about????..........When you take off the cover there are fuses inside. Both sides should test with 12V if the fuses are OK, not burnt out. If there are burnt out only one side will test 12V. Take out the fuse, check for resistance with your VOM across. You should show continuity across the fuse. If not it is blown, burnt out. Replace.............

No it is mounted on the small wall directly in front of the battery. It looks like this

Attachments

• IMG_2314.jpg
    IMG_2314.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 118

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That for sure is some kind of relay that you are indicating and checking out in the picture. Went out to the barn to make sure of that. That's a heavy duty relay for sure as that red wire is a very heavy gauge. Where is the starter solenoid? Is it on the starter motor like most other vehicle applications? Trying to remember where I put my winch relay............
My 05 DOES NOT have dash lights so cant understand what you are referring to about that. Got me really scratching my head on: You hook up jumper cables between batteries on your tractor and the RTV and then the tractor starts the "no starting" symptoms that the RTV does????

Don't know what the "timer relay" is. The thing that goes clunk a few seconds after you turn off the motor???............

The starter relay is the solenoid for the starter. Perhaps as I mentioned above, the relay that you are talking about and measuring voltage on is the starter solenoid. That would show voltage as you describe until you turn on the key and then you should get voltage out of another terminal there going over to the starter or wherever that relay goes.......

When you turn the key to the start position does anything happen at the engine? Any clicking noise there at all???

brookshirefarm

That for sure is some kind of relay that you are indicating and checking out in the picture. Went out to the barn to make sure of that. That's a heavy duty relay for sure as that red wire is a very heavy gauge. Where is the starter solenoid? Is it on the starter motor like most other vehicle applications? Trying to remember where I put my winch relay............

Its possible it could be a winch relay now that you say that the black wire goes back to the neg terminal on the battery after further inpection. The blue and yellow go into a bundle of wires that are hard to trace but I think go towards the front

My 05 DOES NOT have dash lights so cant understand what you are referring to about that. I mean the warning lights that come on when you turn the key Got me really scratching my head on: You hook up jumper cables between batteries on your tractor and the RTV and then the tractor starts the "no starting" symptoms that the RTV does????
Sorry I wasnt clear on that that, the tractor has no problems but the power issue is intermittent on the rtv. sometimes I turn the key and nothing happens sometimes the warning lights come on on the dash
Don't know what the "timer relay" is. The thing that goes clunk a few seconds after you turn off the motor???............
timer relay is called "key stop timer " on messicks part list part # T0070-31410

The starter relay is the solenoid for the starter. Perhaps as I mentioned above, the relay that you are talking about and measuring voltage on is the starter solenoid. That would show voltage as you describe until you turn on the key and then you should get voltage out of another terminal there going over to the starter or wherever that relay goes.......

When you turn the key to the start position does anything happen at the engine? Any clicking noise there at all???
no

So I tested the termnals at the "slow burn" fuses it and they are getting proper voltage. Im going to replace the key switch, mainly because Im not sure what else it could be, because everything seems to have power. I will report back with my findings. feel free to give any more suggestions.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, please let us know what happens..........Border Collie, ONCE AGAIN, got it right the very first thing, up above, when she talked about that........Good one.....

Yes, it sure does sound like the switch itself working on a very intermittent basis........Good luck

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, please let us know what happens..........Border Collie, ONCE AGAIN, got it right the very first thing, up above, when she talked about that........Good one.....

Yes, it sure does sound like the switch itself working on a very intermittent basis........Good luck

Thank you Dennis .I'm not sure, but that did solve my problem. Good Luck ! collie

brookshirefarm

Thank you Dennis .I'm not sure, but that did solve my problem. Good Luck ! collie

Well my dealer actually had the part in stock, unfortunately that's the only good news. The bad news is it still doesn't start. Nothing happened as a matter of fact. Even tried jumping it. I really have no clue what else to do. I may just have to bite the bullet and bring it in for service.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Have you tried the neutral safety device that wont let the engine start unless it is in neutral????????? I have to look up the thread where I talk about it and show pictures but basically it is in the middle of the transmission. An electrical switch device that you just short across. It's easy to test it by pulling the plug wires and shorting across them........Will look for the actual pictures and stuff later.

This has had a lot of folks scratching their heads with NO starts

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good thought Dennis.it's likely the neutral switch if it acts like it's in gear and won't start. That shouldn't affect the lights though.Hummm......... So the ground to the frame is nice and clean? I'd clean all of the connections including that picture.

edit.. If the dealer won't take back the key switch, I can possibly buy it back. collie

brookshirefarm

Been meaning to update this, Took it in to be serviced at the dealer and there was a short in the wiring harness they also replaced the battery terminal connections. $300 later it starts right away