Cheap windshield- Bordercollie style

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
O.K. RTV family, I finally made a prototype cheap windshield and it is really working well. :) I just decided to make an upper and lower frame because I have so much stuff in the way . While a real window would be nice, I always run low on mula near the end of the month and have a lot of house repairs to get done in Ark so I am really happy with this set up. and the great thing about it, anyone with even just a hack saw ,a drill, a bit and some wood screws, add some glue and you are done after a trip to the furring strips at Lowe's. The window , with film prorated, not including clamps , cost me about 2$ Yea $2 . :) And I was just marveling at it as I drove in that blustery wind. Later maybe I will get a few pieces of plexiglass at a reasonable cost for the small size in the "4 panes" but for now.. Thank you Lord for this cheap window !
What I did was-

1 find some narrow and straight pine boards (1 " wide or so)in my stash of packrat stuff . 2. Cut the right length and make sure there were no knotholes.decided to add a center support..
3. Cut the sides and using my biscuit machine ( left over from my years repairing antiques) squared everything up and glued them together
4 painted
5 applied the cheap window film and heated it and also added a trim board to help secure the film but had run out of paint so you will notice in the picture, there is no paint on it..
5. after everything was ready and dry, was going to use the dj clamps (that zoom recommended to me years ago for mounting my console) but ..found temporally , the light brackets hold it fine till I can get 2 more of the clamps.
The picture of the bottom section didn't come out so I will try later on it. I think I will do some mods on the lower section anyway because I don't have a center support for it and it developed more slack from the wind today but is still doing ok. I think I will probably make the top panel the bottom panel and use the wider section at the top to improve vision. Being short, I can't slouch down with the bottom board base where it is. ;) .I will say that the film isn't quite as clear as "nothing" but it is working just fine for me. Also don't know how it would work with snow but for the south , I am pleased as punch. :)
bordercollie

edit to say that I didn't want to apply the window film directly to my roll bar but that can be done. I want it so I can remove it real fast so as of now I just yank the sections on or off. . :)

Attachments

• 1114141417.jpg
    1114141417.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 1116141429.jpg
    1116141429.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 1118141129.jpg
    1118141129.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 1115141757.jpg
    1115141757.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 306

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Mark and King. :) Mark, I can see how a trip through the woods would shred it. I don't want a glass windshield for the same reason. too many limbs .and crackle crackle. With the way I have this, I can pull it off when I have to go after cows in the woods. We have more pasture and cropland than trees unfortunately. I love those oak,cedar and hickory trees.
King, I am amazed at the amount of wind it takes off ... I wouldn't want it to where I couldn't remove it easily though. collie

OrangeBuggy

I wouldn't dream of asking you how old are you, but I haven't heard the term "mula" in a long, long, long time. LOL...as a side note, looks good and glad it works for you.
Harry

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
That will help keep the rain from stinging your face also. Had sleet pellets hitting me a week ago and they really hurt. I try not to use mine much when it gets cold except for pulling the log splitter around.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Muleman, You are right about that and the rain too.. Haha Mark and Orange Buggy, the Bee Gees , LeRoux and Saturday Night Fever were the greatest thing going when I graduated from H.S.. Shazam !! that was a long time ago ! ;) collie

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Mark, you're not even close on Bordercollie's age. I've been blessed to have met Bordercollie. What a great teenager she is. I wasn't able to keep up with her the day I met her. Now that was a couple of years ago, so by now she may have reached 20 years young, but could still be in her teens.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
The question remains--- is bordercollie old enough to vote? We need more people with her good sense to pull the levers (or touch the screen) to elect folks who have the well being of the USA and her citizens foremost in their hearts and minds.

Having said that, Kubota Corp might want to enlist BC's help tne next time they might attempt to write a Owners Manual. Nice job on the description and photos of your windshield.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Great work there Sister-Girl.............So very proud you are showing these whipper-snapper country boys HOW to really do it. God bless........Dennis

Mark.Sibole

Mark, you're not even close on Bordercollie's age. I've been blessed to have met Bordercollie. What a great teenager she is. I wasn't able to keep up with her the day I met her. Now that was a couple of years ago, so by now she may have reached 20 years young, but could still be in her teens.

LOL i wqs yanking chains to see what kind of comments id get lol.
Id classify her as old enough to know better but way to young to resist!

Mark

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
collie, what do you have mounted on your passenger side post? Almost looks like a Tru-Test weight indicator. Like your window idea!
Thank you. :) You are right Cornerstone. That is a scale head that stays inside the barn on the squeeze chute most of the year but... in calving season, it works in combination with our calf load bar - which in mounted in my front receiver. Look at my old thread "calving time on the farm" for pictures of the calf loadbar . :tiphat: collie
edit http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14843&highlight=calving+time+farm

border, thanks! very interesting set up! I use to have Angus cattle until 3 years ago when I decided to retire and got sheep. LOL Never used my scales for anything other then under the chute. Sheep don't kick, lambs are easier to pull. I still have 16 cows in my semen tank if I every decide to start up again. Just couldn't bare to part with them all.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
CornerstoneFarm,

I have registered Black Angus cattle and a semen tank, but your comment about having 16 cows in your semen tank raised an eyebrow even on me. First reaction is it must be a very large tank and yes they would be very cold!!!!!! I suppose you are saying that you have embryos within the tank.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Philip

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We learned one thing about those tanks a few years ago... . Times got busy and we neglected to check the nitrogen level one month then 2... thousands of dollars worth ruined in one of them ...

bordercollie, I lost around 5000 dollars worth of semen one year when the AI tech who was taking care of the tank didn't! Learned my lesson too. Now I use Select Sires (or whatever their name is now) to maintain it. Lost a bunch of Bando 155 and Traveller 23-4 that was just starting to hit high prices. And I keep it in the house garage where I see it all the time and check. Use to store the embryos at the facility that flushed my cows but they now only do cloning and need the space for storage of all that DNA.