Rut Roh Rorge.. - Engine Tick / Knock

nah2323

Hi Everyone!!

I've been lurking in the guest shadows for some time while researching the RTVs before I bought one. I picked up a nice shape 04 RTV900 Worksite Camo with dump bed and steel roof with 400hrs. It needs a few things here and there, CV boot, probably some of peanuts stick stoppers, long term the new rear to front driveshaft.
After I picked it up, I dropped at the local dealer to have it gone through and serviced. All fluids, suspensions checks, etc. They made a similar list, however they noted a slight engine tick. After poking around at a few more RTV900s, i noticed the difference too.
I looked at the valve lash and they were darn close to spec (.008" cold) and the dealer said they tried cracking the injector nuts to see if it's a bad injector. I'm going to retrace those steps tomorrow to ensure all is well on the top. The tick/knock doesn't sound substantial, but then again, I'm not well versed in diesel ownership. Is there anything else I should be checking for before I pop the head off this thing and start to investigate the lower half?

Thanks in advance everyone!! Glad to be here
nah2323

Oh yeah, one of these made it on my flatdeck trailer on the way home from the dealer too..\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Attachments

• RTV Boss.jpg
    RTV Boss.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 73

Mark.Sibole

Couldnt the dealer identify the tick knock for you while it was there or at least a hint of what may be wrong with it or if it was anything to worry about???
BTW nice plow,You have now been doomed to many feet of snow this winter!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk and congrats on your new to you RTV. Man you are tearing right into it. I have an 06 RTV I got it with 636 hours on it...no clue if it has that tick or not but it runs good.
Can you explain more what the tick is? Is it a noise, a timing miss or ????.