Newbie Winch Question RTV900 + Warn 3000-s

quid_non

Greetings All!
Just got a new to me 2007 RTV900.
Looking to outfit it with a winch for occasional skidding of down trees and small stump removal.
Was thinking about the Warn 3000 model with synthetic rope. Would prefer to have the unit fit in the winch "cubby" upfront if possible. Searched the site with the RTV900 and Warn keywords but was unable to convince myself if I need any additional mounting hardware or kits to make this happen.
All comments /thoughts appreciated.
Thanks - great site!
Quid_non

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new to you RTV.

As I recall, the cubby is made for the Warn or Ramsey 3000# winch. No extra hardware. If the winch comes with the steel cable and your swapping for the rope, you should consider changing the fairlead from roller to Hawse. I still use the roller but need to be careful I don't pull the rope into a corner where the rollers meet and mess up my rope.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For me, the Warn 3K came with all the parts needed. Bolts, wiring, switch for under the dash, and for me, steel cable.............
+10K on what bczoom says above. Having maybe 30 or 40 different kinds of pulls using the winch and it does have it's limitations. It is designed for pulling the RTV out of problems and perhaps another vehicle out of a ditch. It isn't, I believe, designed for pulling logs or stumps........Yes, I have pulled hung up trees, deadfall, and my share of logs...........but NOT to drag them out of the woods or pull for long distances.
I have done my share of chaining the RTV to a tree from the rear receiver when just using the brake on the RTV to pull something isn't enough.........BUT for me, that really isn't a good idea, as sooner or later something is gonna break........

It's your machine. When I catch myself doing really strong pulls........I go get the tractor..........God bless.....Dennis

quid_non

Thanks All!
Appreciate the comments and guidance.
Can't seem to make my mind up between the Warn or the Viper Max now... been thinking 'bout it too long maybe? Was thinking about using the winch as needed for hard to reach blow down, stuff I can't easily (or safely) get to with the tractor.
Thanks!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No experience with a Viper Max but make sure it has the same bolt pattern for mounting as the Warn.

Personally, I use a Ramsey with a wireless remote. That's handy when dragging logs to the trail. You can then be with the log, guiding it instead of beside the RTV with a wired winch. It's very handy when felling trees when you need to strap onto the tree to guide/pull it down. I run straps from the tree to the RTV's winch rope (with the RTV at a safe distance). I do my notch in the tree then when doing my back cut, I can use the remote to keep tension on the strap/rope to make sure it falls exactly where I want.

seery

A couple years ago I bought a new Ramsey UTV5000 w/mounting plate. It is a serious piece of gear, extremely well made and strong as they come for a 5000.

Last month my wife decided she wanted me to take off the brush guard because she likes the looks of "her" RTV900 better without it. So I went ahead and took the winch off at the same time. Since we only used it 3-4 times, I figured I'd just sell it along with the OEM brush guard. I'll probably put it on eBay or CL. It looks like new still so hopefully I don't take too terrible a beating.

Good luck with your decision.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll probably put it on eBay or CL. It looks like new still so hopefully I don't take too terrible a beating.
How about posting a thread here, in the RTV owners group section. I'm on my second one but it's OK for now and I believe others may be looking for one as well.

seery

How about posting a thread here, in the RTV owners group section. I'm on my second one but it's OK for now and I believe others may be looking for one as well.

That sounds good. I didn't know we could post sale items here.

Is there a separate for sale section or do I just start a thread in the "Kubota RTV Owners Group Forum "?

I'll take a few pics and give it a try.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
There is a classified section but I'd just put a "For Sale" thread right in the RTV owners group section. Not sure how much our RTV members visit other forum sections so you'll get the most views right here.

shinnery

You may want to give a little thought to this. I personally would not buy a RTV with the front brush guard missing. If you ever wish to sell this RTV I believe it would sell easier with the front brush guard with it not necessarily on it. Go ahead and sell the winch but you may want to keep the guard.
Bryce

seery

There is a classified section but I'd just put a "For Sale" thread right in the RTV owners group section. Not sure how much our RTV members visit other forum sections so you'll get the most views right here.

Sounds great. Thanks.

quid_non pm'd me and may be interested in it. I'll wait to hear back before making a thread here for it.

seery

quid_non sent me a message that he went with the Viper.

Later today or tomorrow I'll start a For Sale thread. Thanks guys!