Kubota RTV 900 transission/brake

rmcewen

My RTV 900 is working hard but speed in any of the ranges is slow. I installed new filters and changed the transmission fluid but no real improvement. When I have the rear end jacked up and in transmission in neutral it is difficult to turn wheels. Also I have a bit of a hot smell when in use. Maybe brakes??

Any suggestions on how to check brakes or ideas? Thankss

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to Net RTV talk, er I mean Net TRactor Talk. Glad you found us.

Are you in 2wd or 4wd when you tried this?

VA1100

rmcewen,
Welcome to the forum. You said you changed filters and transmission fluid. Did you check the hydraulic oil reservoir? I have an x1100c and it is located under the passenger seat. The hydrostatic unit gets its oil from the hydraulic reservoir and not the transmission case. When I changed my filters I couldn't figure out where the oil came from, because the level never changed in the transmission, after some head scratching and checking I determined it was from the hydraulic reservoir. I believe the 900 is the same as the 1100 in this area.

Pete

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What year model is your 900? Also did you replace the fluid with Kubota brand sudt2 ? The older 900's only have a power steering reservoir under the seat- I don't know about the new ones though. The transmission on the older ones hold in the neighborhood of 2 1/2 gallons. +- . collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
have you checked the emergency brake linkage? I have read in previous posts that the E brake can stick causing those symptoms.

Mark.Sibole

if it feels like its dragging your hand brake may be stuck.you can always confirm how bad by trying to go forward then apply the parking brake and let it off.If you dont feel any difference you know the brake is stuck or cable is stuck.this will help narrow things down a bit for ya.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I see where you had jacked it up and spun the wheels by hand and they had tension. My RTV spins freely in that situation. I would agree on checking the brakes like Mark and Arthuritis mentioned . Do you have instructions for adjusting the parking brake? If not some of us can post it. collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
OK Here is a snap of my manual for the older RTVs. I have some close ups too.
Mod, if there is a problem with posting these , please delete.
Notice how they mention brake drag in one of the descriptions.
thanks collie

Attachments

• 0725150827.jpg
    0725150827.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 0725150827a.jpg
    0725150827a.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 0725150828b.jpg
    0725150828b.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 0725150828.jpg
    0725150828.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 145

rmcewen

Thank you for the instruction for adjusting the parking brake, my brakes both left and right were stuck. In the process I also realised that one of the universal joint on the drive for the rear wheels was missing two cups so now I will be replacing that joint. Is this difficult to do?

Mark.Sibole

I figured that was the problem.Gald you found it.Also the U joints are very easy to do.There is a lot of info from myslef and bordercollie on that subject.Main thing is make sure you mark them so when you put it back together the joints stay in sync. If you run into any problems there are several of us here to help you along.
Have a wonderful day...

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I am just finishing up a post on how I did the joints on my machine. The early models didn't have grease fittings on the u joints. ( I also had an 05 900 ) Even if you put greasable joints in it, you won't be able to regrease the outers because they aren't reacheable.. unless you drill a big hole in the area like I posted about in the ujoints needed again thread. The most recent post I did on that thread, ( July of 2015) has a lot of pictures . Nothing had changed except for the greasable fittings between my 2005 RTV 900 and my 2011 RTV. 900.http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13788 good luck ! If I can do this job, you can to . :) bordercollie