Kubota B7800 Fuel Tank collapse

jfacteau

The fuel tank on my 2006 Kubota B7800 pulled a vacuumed and collapsed. I finally got the tank cap off and drilled a 1/32" hole in it to prevent this from happening again but any idea how I can get the tank back to its original shape? It is still partially imploded. Thanks

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
When mine did that on a Yanmar it went back to normal with a full tank on a hot day.

Welcome to Net Tractor Talk too.

jfacteau

Right now its down to about 4 gals. capacity. They want almost 200.00 for a blown injection piece of plastic made by some oriental for 87 cents. What a rip off.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I would just set it on warm concrete with the crushed side down and fill it with boiling water. Maybe repeat if needed.

The plastic tank on my Yanmar has creases showing that it imploded long ago. The capacity is still 100% and it doesn't leak, so I've never gotten around to replacing it. A new one costs $75.

Folklore in the Yanmar world says 'never screw the cap on tight'.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If it were mine, I would consider draining out the rest of the fuel,and try putting a heating pad(s) around it . Let it get warm.Then I would set the air compressor regulator at a low pressure and carefully try adding air to the tank like Art suggested. Not sure what kind of cap you have but would rig up a way to get the air in there through the fuel line or something-taking care not to bust the tank.. bordercollie

Art454

You could also use a radator pressure tool they use to check for leaks and radator caps as you can pump pressure into it and they have a guage on them. You would need to plug the tank were the fuel comes out and jury rig something for the filler cap like a old radator hose or something to get a air tight seal and pump like 5 or 10 psi into it till you hear a pop....if you can get one....if not try more you got nothing to lose anyway.
Other than buy a new one....which I know the r&r is a pain.
If you can hold the pressure and hold it and can see the problem try a hair dryer to warm it up a bit in that bad spot.
May be a 2 man job.
Even a suchion cup like they use for pulling dents out if you can get to it.
Am sure I could come up with a few more ideas as I think about it with more time.......lol

Art