RTV 900. 2006 model

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
pull the filters and use a filter cutter to remove the can from the filter and inspect the filter media for brass plastic or steel parts. could use a small magnet to help.

:beatdeadhorse5:I removed the rear axles and didn't find anything bad enough that would cause trouble towards my issue. I still need to wheel pulley the hubs off the axle...that is a tough one. I hate knowing the issue is in the tranny...my son actually started taking the rear axles off before i was ready because I wanted to trouble shoot a little more ...thinking maybe its stuck between gears or something simple but when i got back to the shop he had it jacked up and torn apart...good hard working boy.

One thing I noticed was the tranny fluid seen lots of water, it was milky...I never notice that before. The Great flood of 2016 S/E Louisiana we used the Kubota to help people move out of homes and pull things to higher ground.:

ovrszd

Bummer. So, experimenting with it running is maybe out of the question now....

Not sure about this one,,,, is the HVT still full of oil with the axles out?? Thinking of testing it with absolutely no load.....

I say this with respect. Be careful what you remove from this point forward. Without first hand knowledge things can go from bad to worse real quick here.

Imagine the knowledgeable mechanic that receives this project in pieces.

The chances of the K.I.S.S. principle applying here are becoming very slim.

Anxious to hear the end result. Thanks for posting this thread!!!!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This doesn't sound good for the transmission. I dislike the noise you heard in the beginning, and milky oil you discovered..blek.... :( . The water probably came in thru the rubber cap/fill port with vent. sad over this. I'd check the engine for water too- just incase.
I'm in agreement with Ovrszd's conclusion. I do hope for the best for your dilemma and please do keep us informed. bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i still think the problem is in the hydro. my reasoning is that in a normal RTV you can completely lock the wheels to the ground and the hydro will stall but the engine won't die. if a pump is locking or a hydrolock is happening it would kill the engine immediately.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I sure hope so Arthuritis. It would be great to only have hyd pump froze up or small item to replace (without getting into the components of the transmission's interior). I 'll be anxious to find if there are any metal filings in the removed oil- hopefully not.
If the wheels spun by hand, with it jacked up , that would be a good sign. collie

Kill the engine as what....safety device that kills the engine or it will bind the motor in such that the engine will kill. I'm with you on this because the engine seemed to be in binding distress when it would shut off or kill. But, later i couldn't get it to bind anymore, engine ran fine but no movement. Help! I'm Melting.....That noise was crazy, something definitely wasn't right....I saved the oil that drain out to check it for metals and such....Maybe, just maybe the filter or hydraulic oil flow did become completely restricted and that might of been the noise I heard.....Hi pitching banging noise that had me believing it was metal on metal....I'll keep you posted

Kurt

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
can the engine be turned by hand? if so does it feel smooth or does it feel gritty? have you checked the filters yet?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Old German, the transmission plug has a magnet on the end. How did that look? When I change mine, it has only a tiny amount of carbon like dust at 3400 hrs and regular changes- nothing has ever showed up but such at each change.

ovrszd

Sounds like the engine is fine. Problem is in the HVT. And only when it's "activated", go pedal pushed.

Checking the oil and filters for metal will only indicate an ongoing problem that has created metal shavings. Then those shavings would have to be analyzed by someone that could do such things. Then they are only going to offer suggestions.

I think this problem is where the HVT input shaft converts that rotation to hydraulic pressure. I'm afraid it's going to need taken apart to find.

I personally would be very careful in what I disassembled. I would also study all of the parts diagrams very carefully looking for potential problem areas.

I've got a WSM manual that I can peruse if you want me to?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
just my personal opinion> if i found yellow metal and other debris in the filters i would send the hvt in for rebuild. if i found the filters clean or normal then i might consider digging into the gears.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
On the engine, I personally would want to make sure that no water got into it since it did get into the transmission. That's all I was stating. It would only be a check of the oil to confirm this. Agreed the problem is as of now not the motor , and I don't want it to be later.
Best of best with your RTV's motion problem . :tiphat: collie

HVT....Hydraulic variable Transmission ??? or are we talking about the Hydraulic pump? I will be taking some pictures for the (Think Tank) review..

ovrszd

We don't know which we are talking about yet in regards to the problem.

I'm inclined to think it's pump related or somewhere in that early part of the drive system.

The Tranny plug did have an uncomfortable amount of metal attached to it....I was told little bit is kinda normal this was a little more then normal with some of the metal being a little longer then excepted.
Bought new fluids and filter yesterday. Also bought new joints for the ones that look and feel a little loose. Be working on that today.

I Can Do This

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i have learned that it is possible to kill the engine without stall if the hydro or hvt servo is adjusted to an aggressive state. is it possible that before the problems arose that the hvt servo has been messed with?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The Tranny plug did have an uncomfortable amount of metal attached to it....I was told little bit is kinda normal this was a little more then normal with some of the metal being a little longer then excepted.
Bought new fluids and filter yesterday. Also bought new joints for the ones that look and feel a little loose. Be working on that today.

I Can Do This

Did you ever get a chance to cut the filters and see what the insides looked like?
I noticed you said filter I imagine it's a misprint , but you did get 2 different filters right? I am concerned about the fragments and what caused them.. There are probably some residue of fragments in there too.. maybe a flush could be considered ? As I mentioned in post earlier. I've never had fragments but for a tad of talcum / carbon like powder- on the magnetic plug . I've had about 7,500 hours of RTV seat time since Feb 2005 and never but dust like on magnetic plug. You will need a bit of sealant to put on those inner axles where they attach when you put them back in the transmission also . bordercollie

ovrszd

I believe his discovery of metal confirms that a bearing or something similar has failed. This would create the metal (fragments) being a little longer (length) than expected.

I believe the failure is going to be catastrophic and not simply "wear".

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
we still haven't confirmed metal in the hvt system yet though. i wonder if Oldgerman is aware that the transmission and the hvt have separate reservoirs. something els i uncovered was in2006 there was a problem in some 900 rtv having soft swash plates in the hvt. another wonder i have is if this unit had a coast valve or not. seems to be quite a few searches rendering exploded differentials in 2006 model