Seat time

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got the new AG tires and 58" tiller. The tiller works like a dream. I have tilled up a garden and some area that I needed to seed with grass, so now the tiller is off the tractor and resting in the pole barn. I put the brush hog on the tractor.

I cleared trails I had not been on for 5 years (with the tractor) yesterday. Trails were fairly dry but still plenty of pucker factor. The new AG tires performed flawlessly. :thumb:

I have two hills that need attention in the worst way. I will have to rent a track hoe and maybe a dozer to get them in a condition suitable for driving the Honda Pioneer on without fear of sliding the wrong way and going over the hill. I can drive it but do not feel it is safe for anyone not familiar with the property and that hill in particular. Thankfully we have 3 different trails that will get us to our boat dock so all can still get down there when the time comes.

Anyone else getting some seat time?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear the new tires are working well for you.

No seat time for me lately. Last time was to rototill the garden. This time of year, I'd normally be skidding logs for firewood but I hit the logs hard last year and already this winter's firewood cut & stacked and have the next 2 winters already bucked/stacked and ready to split.

DK35vince

I get plenty on seat time during the summer, between mowing, loader work, tilling, ect.
I'm always using the tractor for something through the summer. (I have 2130 hours on my DK 35 )
Winter seat time depends on the amount of snow needing plowed.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thursday I made the second pass watering replacement apple trees in the orchard.

I didn't take photos this time. The photo below is from last year and is posted 'elsewhere' :wink:

Note the water level in the tank - the grade is even steeper than it seems in the photo. Maneuvering takes caution that the trailer - heavier than the tractor - doesn't jack-knife the rig.

Minor notes for anyone designing a similar rig: That's a lawn sprinkler anti-siphon valve on the T above the vertical pipe. It lets the watering wand suck air and become light as a feather as soon as I turn off the pump switch on my dashboard. This is an improvement compared to holding a heavy dribbling wand in my lap as I drive to the next tree. Also, the pump inside the tank is a submerged 12 volt bilge pump rated 15+ GPM, just right for the 15 gallon levee basins at each tree.

Why can't I display, by link, photos I've previously posted here on NTT? Example: http://nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6243&d=1354324998

434833d1438278702-yanmar-186d-front-tyre-sizes-kimg0712rwateronslope-jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not sure why the link does not work CA. Will look into it and let you know if I find a way to make it work.

Got some seat time today. Tore a couple trees up by their roots. They were dying and easy to get at. A big pine was knocked down and dying due to storm damage a few weeks ago. Got that one out of the way. Brush hogged the area around some willows. One willow had storm damage from a few years ago. Arms growing out from the side of the trunk were in the way and not going to last since the tree was topped by the storm so chain sawed them and pushed them out of the way with the bucket. Then brush hogged the area.

Got the bucket up high pushing on one tree and lowered the bucket to back out, back of bucket caught on a neighbor tree. Tractor goes up on two wheels on right side. I thought I was in deep do do. Stopped it in time and eased out without issue.

I love seat time. :D

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thursday I made the second pass watering replacement apple trees in the orchard.

I didn't take photos this time. The photo below is from last year and is posted 'elsewhere' :wink:

Note the water level in the tank - the grade is even steeper than it seems in the photo. Maneuvering takes caution that the trailer - heavier than the tractor - doesn't jack-knife the rig.

Minor notes for anyone designing a similar rig: That's a lawn sprinkler anti-siphon valve on the T above the vertical pipe. It lets the watering wand suck air and become light as a feather as soon as I turn off the pump switch on my dashboard. This is an improvement compared to holding a heavy dribbling wand in my lap as I drive to the next tree. Also, the pump inside the tank is a submerged 12 volt bilge pump rated 15+ GPM, just right for the 15 gallon levee basins at each tree.

Why can't I display, by link, photos I've previously posted here on NTT? Example: http://nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6243&d=1354324998

434833d1438278702-yanmar-186d-front-tyre-sizes-kimg0712rwateronslope-jpg

Chris, I hope you have something larger than a garden hose to fill your trailer with. :whistling:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Chris, I hope you have something larger than a garden hose to fill your trailer with. :whistling:
Sure do!

The photo below (posted elsewhere, I hope the link works) shows my 2 inch fill hose in its prior life. F & G shut down power equipment for gold dredging so I sold the sluice box and brought that hose out to the ranch.

I thought I would use this little backpackable pump and the dredge venturi to push water through the 2 inch line, same setup as this dredging photo, but I found gravity is sufficient so I avoid the deafening noise and the maintenance of the 2-cycle pump.

Gravity fill from the 1500 gallon storage tank using this hose takes under 10 minutes. If I get impatient and at the same time run the 1.25" hose from the well pump line into the tote, then ~5 minutes. I haven't found another good use for the little pump but it's still a favorite toy.

I see something else looking at this photo, it was taken when the dredge intake was plugged. That's mostly water from the pump. Running normally, there is so much water moved that it pours over the sides of the sluice.

127359d1240206733-12v-bilge-pump-irrigate-trailer-p1190699rdredging2008-jpg

Last edited:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sure do!

The photo below (posted elsewhere, I hope the link works) shows my 2 inch fill hose in its prior life. F & G shut down power equipment for gold dredging so I sold the sluice box and brought that hose out to the ranch.

I thought I would use this little backpackable pump and the dredge venturi to push water through the 2 inch line, same setup as this dredging photo, but I found gravity is sufficient so I avoid the deafening noise and the maintenance of the 2-cycle pump.

Gravity fill from the 1500 gallon storage tank using this hose takes under 10 minutes. If I get impatient and at the same time run the 1.25" hose from the well pump line into the tote, then ~5 minutes. I haven't found another good use for the little pump but it's still a favorite toy.

I see something else looking at this photo, it was taken when the dredge intake was plugged. That's mostly water from the pump. Running normally, there is so much water moved that it pours over the sides of the sluice.

127359d1240206733-12v-bilge-pump-irrigate-trailer-p1190699rdredging2008-jpg

:thumb: