changing power steering fluid

cowdog

Do y'all change the power steering, hydraulic dump fluid and transmission fluid around 200hrs like the book says. That is 6.5 gallons of liquid gold and counting filters around $300.00 for this service.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Cowdog ,I can only tell you what I did. And it will stir a debate.... I asked the guy I trusted at the parts counter who was very knowledgeable about this same thing when I first bought the '05. He said it wasn't necessary to change it that often. I kept a look on the color of the fluid and only changed it once in the 4025 hrs I drove the '05. Right or Wrong it did fine. I also seldom use my dump so did not change it much at all. I only used it for checking the fluids. I stretch out the transmission change after broken in and after the last change was clean on the magnetic plug to almost 400 hrs- that is almost twice a year for me. I change the oil at 75 to a hundred and had great performance using the JD 15 w40 quality oil in it (because we have it in bulk) and always use SUDT in everything else including the knuckle cases- . bordercollie
edit: my 2011 manual says only filters need replacing every 200 and fluid every 400 on the transmission.There is a thread on this here too. but if I'm changing the filters ,I'm going to change the trans fluid too at least for now.

cov62431

The fluid in the trans. would obviously be the most critical. I agree with BC on the others (steering and dump). The trans. will need it more often due to how you utilize your rtv. I've seen rtv's come in here with some HARD hrs. on them and the trans. performed flawlessly. I know on those particular ones that the fluids weren't changed on a regular basis. But, I would still try and change it on a regular basis. Just my opinion.

cowdog

I appreciate the replies border collie and cov 62431. I looked at my book at little closer and it also said to change the filters on transmission at the 200 and the fluid at 400. I believe I am going to wait for a while on power steering and dump. I would rather spend $300.00 on Christmas gifts than give it to Kubota.

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
When i bought my 900 used i asked the orignal owner what fluids they changed and got the ow we changed all the fluids for mom but only acted like the motor and trans were all there was to change, i come up with eight different places to change fluids, three up front with the gearbox and the steering knuckles, power steering, engine oil and coolant,trans, and hyd oil.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Cowdog ,I can only tell you what I did. And it will stir a debate.... I asked the guy I trusted at the parts counter who was very knowledgeable about this same thing when I first bought the '05. He said it wasn't necessary to change it that often. I kept a look on the color of the fluid and only changed it once in the 4025 hrs I drove the '05. Right or Wrong it did fine. I also seldom use my dump so did not change it much at all. I only used it for checking the fluids. I stretch out the transmission change after broken in and after the last change was clean on the magnetic plug to almost 400 hrs- that is almost twice a year for me. I change the oil at 75 to a hundred and had great performance using the JD 15 w40 quality oil in it (because we have it in bulk) and always use SUDT in everything else including the knuckle cases- . bordercollie
edit: my 2011 manual says only filters need replacing every 200 and fluid every 400 on the transmission.There is a thread on this here too. but if I'm changing the filters ,I'm going to change the trans fluid too at least for now.

My 2011 manual maintenance chart implies the motor oil needs a change only at every 200 hrs after the break in period. I always got antsy with the '05 when I got over a hundred hrs on the change. I have hesitation about waiting till the 200 hrs mark on my new machine... esp since I had no blow by on the '05 when I sold it with over 4,000 hrs on it.
I also never changed the brake fluid on the '05-I never change it on anything else for that matter if it looked ok of coarse.. I do think good new fuel lines and clamps will save a lot of grief on the older machines of any type. I have experienced that on several of the older pieces of diesel equipment we have.
When checking the transmission fluid, I have to put the dip stick on my finger to leave a wet mark to see where the fluid is on it because it is so clear. bordercollie

DIXIEDOG

I got ansy with the 200 hr changes also. I changed all my fluids for the first time at 30 hrs....I feel oil and hydro is cheap insurance compared to the engine or transmission. I feel comfortable after that initial break in change to go 200 hrs with no issues but when something is new and tight you end up with a lot of junk floating around and that's never good.

cowdog

I am going to change the engine and transmission but let the power steering and hydraulic dump go for a little while longer. I used a white cloth to check all super udt and it is all perfectly clear. I have never had so much trouble seeing where the oil comes to on a dipstick as I have with the udt. I have to use a work light every time I check the transmission fluid to see it on the stick. I am still changing the transmission fluid at about 210hrs now. I changed the transmission at about 50 and the engine at 50, 100 and now 210. I know the book says to only change the transmission fluid to every 400 but since I am having to change the filters any way I believe I will change it. That seems like quite a large reservoir of oil on the power steering I am guessing it keeps it running cooler but I am not sure.