First mow of the season

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Went from no mowing to can't keep up.
I think I can almost see our grass growing.
Same here. If I wait more than 5 days tween mowing I get clumps of grass even mowing at 3 1/2". I'll be happy to get to once a week mowings.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We’ve had a LOT of rain last week. Way too wet to do anything. It cleared off Sunday afternoon and by Monday it was dry enough to mow and not get stuck in the mud. Started the mower but the blades wouldn’t turn. Took a while to figure out what was wrong, trip to the dealer,replaced the switch for the electric clutch and got a little mowing done.

Yesterday planned to finish because some of the grass is 8-10 inches tall!

Mower wouldn’t start :hammer: ignition switch is bad! Out of stock at my dealer so ordered one from our friends in Pennsylvania. Should be back in business in a couple of days. Fortunately both switches are snap in mounting and plug into the wiring harness. Kubota ZG127S with 277 hours. Shouldn’t be having trouble this early.

Now for the “if it wasn’t for bad luck I wouldn’t have any luck at all” part of the story. The BX tractor has a belly mower so,I decided to mow with it this morning. Takes longer and doesn’t do as pretty a job but at least get it done.

Left front was flat as a pancake and when I tried to air it up I could hear the air leaking out. Took the tire to the dealer and now I’m setting on the porch with a glass of tea watching the grass grow. :bonk:

quincy

My old White (MTD) 42" ride on mower finally popped it's clogs. I've been patching and repairing that old thing for years but a few weeks ago it crapped out big-time while out mowing, so I finally accepted it was time to lay it to rest.

et13_zpsraf135rv.jpg

This is a good time of year to buy mowers being end of season and all, so I decided to go get myself a 5ft finish mower at a decent price. It's got the mulching kit, so my days of bagging my grass clippings are over for now.

I really couldn't be happier with the finish on the lawn. It's taking a bit of effort learning how to mow with a rear deck, but thats the fun of it I guess.
Kubota%20Mowing_zpsf7zccy95.jpg

The best thing is it gives me a little bit more seat time in the kubota. :)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice set up quincy. I bet you'll like it better than the little work horse that has past on. RFM does take some getting used to, and you might need a small push mower for tight spots but you'll get er done.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking about the first mow of season and the grass is greening but it's going to be a week or so. Probably around the 10th or so like last year.
Have any of you mowed yet?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking about the first mow of season and the grass is greening but it's going to be a week or so. Probably around the 10th or so like last year.
Have any of you mowed yet?

If I mow the next few days it’s going to be with the tractor instead of the zero turn.

Seized spindle bearing :hammer:

Parts on order

Didn’t realize the pulley had a metal outer with the v grove but a plastic center!

Attachments

• 12DC5A11-27B1-4ADC-9F31-0662F3521EE3.jpeg
    12DC5A11-27B1-4ADC-9F31-0662F3521EE3.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 81

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It'll be another week or 2 here as well.
My ZTR wasn't in a secure building over the winter (it was stored in an open air but covered area). When I put it away, apparently I decided to set all controls where a safety switch was in use. When I went to start it last week it took me a few minutes to remember all the settings so I could get it started up and moving/mowing again.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
. When I went to start it last week it took me a few minutes to remember all the settings so I could get it started up and moving/mowing again.

I know that feeling. I have to reacquaint myself with the mower each spring. One season I thought I had a completely dead battery, so I charged it and it still would not start. I was about to take the battery out and replace when it dawned on me ...the safety switch. Duh. Fired right up after that. :yum:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Doc I went to post pictures and all I see is 'Insert URL'. No 'Upload' box.

Is this something new?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No sure what was going on Chris. I just checked and the upload attachment box was there and once clicked the select image boxes were available. Try again please and let me know if more issues. Maybe try a different browser, I'm in Chrome right now.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Firefox (my default) and IE do the same thing: they show 'Upload from URL' but no longer have the 'Upload from Computer' tab. I don't have Chrome.

IE is a little more explicit:
Code:
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/clientscript/ieprompt.html?
'Please enter the URL of your image:'
I suspect a VB update caused this because both browsers get that same result and I see the same result on another VB-based site I read daily, 'Upload from Computer' disappeared both places. I tried changing things in my profile here to resolve this but I have not changed my profile there, no joy. On the contrary, TBN's photo entry box still has the 'Upload from Computer' tab.

Anyhow, I had some first mow pix taken March 15 to upload. 'First Mow' here is the orchard contractor shredding pruning debris with a big flail mower.

I have mow pix on here from several years ago. Here's one I posted in 2010 showing a year when I did the mowing after the contractor said 'You're on your own, I can't find any market for the apples this year'. (He eventually came back and did his normal discing after he found a contract).

Entering the URL of this photo that is already on NTT, worked normally.

attachment.php

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang. I'm at a loss on what (if anything) I can do to fix this. Will think on it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
CA. Don't pick the picture icon on the top toolbar if you want to upload a pic from your computer.
To post from your computer, use the "Attach Files" option below the text box. It's not available in quick reply, you need to choose "go advanced"

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
CA. Don't pick the picture icon on the top toolbar if you want to upload a pic from your computer.
To post from your computer, use the "Attach Files" option below the text box. It's not available in quick reply, you need to choose "go advanced"
Thanks! I haven't used that for a long time but it looks like it will work.

Here are the March 15 First Mow pix.

Wildflowers before mow.

20190315_145535rWildflowers.jpg

One crawler piling large orchard debris, other crawler shredding pruning debris with flail mower.

20190315_141602rMow-Both.jpg

Shredding.

20190315_141100rMow-Shredder.jpg

All done.

20190315_164137rMowed.jpg

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
... use the "Attach Files" option below the text box.
That worked, but sorta. Uploading my jpg's converted them to small 18k size pix. Larger than my thumbnails but about 250 x 250 display size. WTH??

I examined the 'Attach Files' screen. It shows the following limits:
jpeg.gif
jpeg 195.3 KB 700 1000

jpg.gif
jpg 19.5 KB 1800 2000
My pix were 800 x 600 and about 300k each. I went back and renamed my pix to jpeg then uploaded again. This time the upload process reduced them to 700 pixels wide and under 200k filesize.

Whatever. Now the post looks like I intended.

Again, Zoom thanks for your advice!

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
THANKS BC.
Duh. I thought you were using the Attach Files button. :hide:

I'll fix that jpg issue also.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I should have been more clear, the 'Upload from Computer' tab no longer appears when clicking the Photo icon above the post box.

I just looked and I don't see an upload from computer button either, but I've never used that, so I'm not sure where it should be. I do see the paper clip and if I click it a window opens that lets me upload attachments from the computer. Does that help?

below is what I see:

Attachments

• UploadAttachmentsPaperClip.JPG
    UploadAttachmentsPaperClip.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 134

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The paper clip works for me so I'll use that.

There must be different generations of VB on the various sites where I occasionally post photos. If you are curious take a look at Welding Web. Its icon labelled 'insert image' is a different icon and function than here but the same name.

Thanks Doc for unraveling this mystery!