How do you start a BX23 with a bum neutral start switch?

lb59

How do you start a BX23 with a bum neutral start switch?
I want to get the tractor down off the hill into my heated garage to replace the switch, but the problem is how do I move it from where it's setting into the garage when the switch won't let me start it???
I think when I replace it I will install a by pass switch for just this situation.

This is the second neutral switch that's gone bad on this tractor.
Come to think of it I don't really see why the neutral switch is needed on the BX23.
If you start it with the lever engaged instead of in the neutral position the tractor is not going anywhere unless the treadle petal is pressed down into forward or reverse.
Has anyone eliminated or by passed the neutral start switch on a BX23? ? ?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not sure I understand the complete problem.
I understand you can't start it, but can't you tow it to the garage with one of your other tractors? :confused:

Mark777

Unplug the neutral safety switch and use a jumper wire from one side to the other.....BUT REMEMBER YOUR TRACTOR WILL START IN ANY GEAR!!

lb59

Not sure I understand the complete problem.
I understand you can't start it, but can't you tow it to the garage with one of your other tractors? :confused:
It's about 200 feet down a fairly steep hill.
I'm not so sure I want to be in front of it on a little old BX1500 in case the BX23 would get away on the hill.
If that should happen guess who's gonna get run over by the BX23???

lb59

Unplug the neutral safety switch and use a jumper wire from one side to the other.....BUT REMEMBER YOUR TRACTOR WILL START IN ANY GEAR!!
I''m thinking about doing that and putting an on off switch in the jumper wire.
Had I done that when i installed the NSS about a year ago I wouldn't be having this problem now.

Mith

Tie a rope from the back of the 23 to the front of the 1500, once the 23 is at the top of the hill it will roll and you can use the 1500 to slow it down.

My broken tractors are stored down a very steep hill from my workshop, and I regularly move broken machines between the store and the workshop using this method.

Can you not replace the switch where the tractor is at the moment?

Grrrr

Heck, I really think that this is easier than what you are making it out to be.

If I was you I would just replace that switch where the tractor sits now. I can't imagine it is anymore than a 5 minute job.

If it require disassembley of the seat then why not just take the seat into the workshop and repair it and then put it back on.

Or just find a way to jump it. Sometimes you can just wedge the contact down with a screwdriver or something or otherwise just unplug the switch and jump the terminals together. That would be very easy.

If you really want to do it in the workshop then I would take Miths idea but get someone else to drive the other tractor (You must have other drivers as you say you have a mowing business on other forums and you have multiple tractors and you can only drive one tractor at a time.)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not so sure I want to be in front of it on a little old BX1500 in case the BX23 would get away on the hill.
If that should happen guess who's gonna get run over by the BX23???

I was actually thinking of the two person method. someone on each tractor for steering and using the brakes as needed.

Steering the tractor in front might get tricky with Mith's method. I guess it depends on the terrain.

Mith

Steering the tractor in front might get tricky with Mith's method
23's have power steering dont they? Should hold its line OK.

I agree though, either fix it in place or get someone to drive the other tractor, I know your wife helps out with mowing, so she might be persuaded to lend a hand.

lb59

Thanks all for your tips- but the problem turned out to be operator error
I bypassed the NSS still didn't start .
Decided to check all the levers - found the pto lever for the mmm was engaged.
Put it in neutral and the tractor fired right up.
Shoulda checked the levers first DUH !
Done about the same dumb thing about 3 days ago with theBX1500.
Lowered the front blade clear down .
When I wanted to lift it back up it wouldn't raise.
Finally discovered the 3 point lever was in the up position from when I had lifted the tller.
Put the lever in neutral and the blade lifted and lowered fine.
Have I earned my sign yet?

larryRB

The various levers on the L48 model are the same, If one is thought to be neutral and isn't, your not starting the motor. Very easy to overlook something this simple.

Grrrr

I got to ask.. how did you bypass the seat safety switch?

What sort is it on a BX, one that is built in to the seat that you have to jump with a wire or one that just require pressing down with a twig?

broadley

Banned
Hi

Hi, I really don't advice removing or not having the safety switch in any vehicle. It will be unsafe to just start in any mode of your car, You may inflict damage if you didn't notice that you are stepping on the gas pedal while you are starting your tractor. Anyways, I have read some facts about the neutral safety switch and also to wikipedia.com.:shitHitsFan:

Last edited by a moderator: