Clatter clatter rattle rattle

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi friends, It's official ... my driveshaft bearing was indeed bad . It came apart early this morning not 1/4 mile from home. I felt vibration andthat little ring that I thought was rubber{not} was hanging out of the bearing onto the shaft. I got the Hoss to the barn safely and parked. Oh.. what will I do for the week it will take for the part to get here??? Oh My NO I will have to use the truck[:'(] Well at least it didn't happen last night when I was out checking fence until 10 PM and 4 miles from home !![ There was a cow in the neighbor's corn or I would have waited till daylight to fix that fence.] That would have been a long walk as I had also dropped my new cell in the creek. I took the battery out of the cell and dried it out over the ac vent and 30 hrs later it works!!Just wish I had the Hoss ,but it did get me home safely last night.It was a good day/ nightafter all. I even hate to say it but I had to put back on my WS tires last week as I noticed bubbles/bumps on my Mudlites {after I had bragged on them too!!} I will look into getting the Essex Surefoot set since they have a very high weight rating along with run flat ability.It has rained 8+ inches this monthso I 've got to do something soon. Thanks, Bordercollie[&]

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
How many hours do you have on your RTV. Hate this is happen to you, but we all know, things happen, and you probobly work your machine alot.I would all of us will have to replace that bearing on day .....About the tires, where did the bubbles and bump show up at, side or middle. About how many hours do you have on the Mudlites, for I was planning on picking up a set of 589M/S later this year for winter. You should ask your Kubota dealer to let you use a demo while yours in down. Around here, many tractor dealers will do that if your waiting for yours to get back up . If we were any closer, I'd tell you to come use mine till you get yours back on it's feet !!!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="TWO GUNS"]How many hours do you have on your RTV.

If we were any closer, I'd tell you to come use mine till you get yours back on it's feet !!![/quote]
You DON'T want to lend yours to bordercollie. It'll quadruple your hour meter in about a week.

I'm going to take a guess. Bordercollie probably has about 1,600 hours by now. How close am I?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Friends, HaHA!!Yes,you are really close. I have about 1560hrs..That's because I've been sort of lazy since it's been so hot and dry until now.. Thanks for the offer Two Guns but BC is so right,I really put the machine through it. I am getting the expensive shipping so maybethe partwon't take so long to get here.We do have a 4whr atthe farm. It's just not so easy to get on and off when you are short like me without getting the seat "muddy". Anyway,I noticed I had a flat on the rtv the other week so I put sealant in it. Well ,It was flat the next day so I inspected it and found a cone shaped depression hole,followed by a bulge in the tread area.then another and another.. After I bought these tires, I noticed the light load rating and air pressure limit . I ignored this because I ordered them to fit the rtv. They worked great for about 900 hrs. I needed to put 20 lbs of air in the rear thoughto keep them up. This is more than recommended so I got what I deserved I guess. I loved the way they pulled but they were worn to the point the were rough on 'take off'.This Essex Surefoot I understand was designed especially for utility vehicles and has a kevlar belt. Each one is rated for 1120 lbs I believe. that is much more than my Mudlites at 420lbs.I don't have the 589's just plainMudlites with bar type tread. If I decide on the Essex, I will let ya'll know. Thanks for this site sponsors!!Bordercollie[&]

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Twoguns, I got my bearing picked up today.! I plan on putting it on in the morning. My parts guy overnited it for me with some other things he needed for a split fee. Now that is a nice parts guy!A real credit to Kubota. He said the bearingwas different and not interchangable for different serial #'s. On the tires, I've been googling essex surefoot atv tires and understand from the essexmfg site and others that the 26" tire is less agressive but smooth riding on hard surfaces. This would be the 489. the 27" 589 is deeper in tread and indeed is rougher. There is also a thread on this site about the essex. We have a lot of wild lemon and bodac trees{ouch!} so I think I would like that heavy load 26"run flat tire-- that would get me home when itgets wet and muddy. But I am still looking.Thanks! Bordercollie[&]

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I got the bearing put on this morning!! An easy job if that gremlin had not been moving my stuff around.!! I believe a lot of that rattle was coming from right there at the bearing. The old bearing [what was left]was in sad shape.The "sleeve" was really hard to get off .After removing the snap rings, I sprayed it with lube and tapped until it came off,cleaned up the shaft and put on the new bearing. The ride is great- very little noise... Just great!! If you have much rattle,check this bearing!! The shaft coming out of this bearingshould not wiggle. The u joint will, but not the shaft coming directly out ofit. This was my mistake ..I thought a little wiggle was normal.Gone to Ark for the weekend to help my folks. Looking forward to using the Hoss a lot next week and will comment if any more rattles developthen. Bordercollie[:)][&]

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
GLAD YOU BACK A RUNNING >>>>>>>>>>> </P>

I KNOW NOW YOU CAN GET SOME SLEEP >>>>>>>>></P>