Front loader on Ford 1715

Unclemark

Hey folks I've got a few question if you have the time. I recently bought a 1995 ford 1715 2wd with turf tires and was wanting to add a loader to it. Ive been looking at a westendorf 111 but was wondering am I wasting my money adding a loader with those turf tires? According to my buddy I am because I wont get good traction when scooping dirt from a pile with turf tires. Second what would the best bucket width be for that machine 4 or 5 ft. I was thinking 4' would be the best so far as not being wider than the tractor... What do you all think?

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I have a 2003 NH TC18 with loader and turf tires. I usually have no problems with traction in 2WD using the loader. Of course there are times I do use 4WD. I learned to just move the bucket into the pile and curl up and go forward at the same time. I have a 54" loader bucket. Since my tractor is only 1600 lbs where yours is 2200 lbs you may have an advantage.
But then again, none of this may help you if you have a gear transmission where mine is HST.

Unclemark

I wish mine were hydrostatic but unfortunately it is a gear trans. I though about trading it in on a New Holland Boomer 30 but after trade I'll still owe roughly 13k where as the loader will cost me 5k so money wise the choice is simple but it sure would be nice not to have to fool with a clutch lol I can't make my mind up on bucket size either but I'm leaning towards the 4' since 54" isnt an option on that model only 4', 5' or 6'.

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you're wanting to put light stuff in your loader (snow or mulch), you'll probably be OK but heavy loads (dirt or gravel) may be an issue.

When you load up the bucket with some weight, it'll definitely want to pick up the back end of the tractor. With only 2WD, you won't have any traction since your rear tires will be so light.

I have a similar sized tractor and when I load the bucket, I can put in so much weight my back tires are barely on the ground. I rely in the 4WD and front wheels turning to get me in control.

To pull this off with 2WD, you're going to need some serious weight off the back to counter the load in the bucket. I'd have to say you'll probably need to fill your back tires with liquid ballast and attach the heaviest possible attachment you have off the 3-point hitch to do any serious lifting.

Unclemark

I usually keep a 5' heavyduty box blade on the back but that's only worth around 450ish lbs plus the weight of the tires if I fill like you said so that may be enough for what I do.

Last edited: