RTV 900. 2006 model

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Yes they are kubota dealer. Only one in the area so they kind of backed up

Thanks just curious. there is no mystery in hydro-static transmissions but i haven't seen to many outside the dealer service options. i know with combines etc there are many shops that are really better than the dealers because all they do are transmissions and sometimes the dealer mechanics are just a little to much into parts changing.:pat:

I heard back from Kubota dealer today but the problem is still unknown. It started out 4 weeks ago that the mechanics will be checking the hydraulic pressure and trouble shooting for a bad pump or PSV. Today they will be ordering new copper plates somewhere to the rear(because there grooved real bad) and charging another 7 hrs labor / $85 per hr. to see if this fix's the problem. The kit for this cost about $2800.00 plus labor. So here I am, one month after this all started and my Kubota is still in the shop and not real sure what the problem is. Each time the lady of the shop would call adding more hours and tell me the mechanics will need to charge another bunch of hours to check this and that or tell me they are waiting on the Kubota Rep to be calling them back so they are still waiting?? I finally got enough and request to speak with the service manager. I explain my frustration and feel there is some incompetence in your shop. It done some good because he dropped 4 hrs of charge and between the two of us we came up with a plan of action/repairs/trouble shoot....Using the help from this forum I was able to speak there language just enough to let them know I wont be ripped off!

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I agree and would also like to add a suggestion - while the dealers do compete for business, I have been in situations where I have asked them to contact another dealer or national support for assistance. The customer has got to come first.

I know this problem has been a real head scratcher but I believe the answer is just a conference call away.

Tony

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i would ask the dealer to check the serial number against any recalls also. i know from reading on this and other sites that in that year of 900 they had some bad design brash swash plates. if i remember the cure was a steel plate with brass bonded or at least a redesign brass one. google "bad swash plates in kubota rtv" i found several 900 in your year range with similar symptoms as yours. all were fixed with new swash plates and some needed some pump work too.

Last edited:
I will bring up the recall issue. And yes about the diagnosis and not part swapping. Thanks for all the help guys. Keep them coming because trust me I am using everything you say

Thanks

Kurt

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tell the service manager you need a diagnosis not parts swapping!
Yea, I'd have a problem with that as well. They swap parts, charge you for the parts and labor then tell you there's no change. If no change, I'd tell them to pull the parts back out and I'm not paying for labor. It would be like taking your car in for a front-end alignment and they rebuild your engine and charge you for it.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Tell the service manager you need a diagnosis not parts swapping!

I had the owner of a commercial refrigeration company tell me they were like a doctor not an auto mechanic.They treat the symptoms. That was his answer after I questioned him about all the replacement parts that hadn’t solved the problem. I had thought they would put the old part back on if it didn’t fix the issue and move on to another part etc. nope! that was back in the 80’s. Needless to say but haven’t used them again in the last 30+ years

I agree with you. It’s been a week now and still hadn’t heard anything towards the progress. Never again will I bring anything to this place. Monday I will give them a call

CKing

Does Kubota have factory trained techs? I spent some time wandering around my dealers shop. From the lack of tools, the mess, no sign of manuals. Also when I had them put the rear wheels in the air and pulled the throttle they had no idea what I was checking. I don't believe I would even take it there for warranty work.

ovrszd

Does Kubota have factory trained techs? I spent some time wandering around my dealers shop. From the lack of tools, the mess, no sign of manuals. Also when I had them put the rear wheels in the air and pulled the throttle they had no idea what I was checking. I don't believe I would even take it there for warranty work.

I agree. I would immediately claim my equipment, pay my bill and leave.

It’s been a long time but I finally have good news. After talking with the Mechanic ( in which I found out that I know him and his parents really good) he said it’s a tranny problem and would cost $5000 to replace all. After I explain to him how long I been waiting he agreed to look into the Transmission and save as many parts as he could. He is now going to Order only what is necessary and the total cost of repairs is only $1800. Seems like my letter to the company stressing how upset I was from the lack of service actually done some good. I Wrote down a list of things they done that created a hassle and emailed the website as comments. So as of now the problem was internals to the tranny. When I find out exactly what parts were damaged I’ll list it here for all to see But that’s it for now

Old German

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Congratulations German on staying with it and getting what appears to be a reasonable price for the repair.

The squeaky wheel sometimes does not get the grease right away - the wheel has to catch on fire and shoot sparks and start to wobble before it gets the grease sometimes.

I hope the repair goes smoothly and on budget for you.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Geat News!!!! i remember reading somewhere another person with the same problem tore his own tranny down and repaired. cost of parts was around 400 dollars and was just the swash plates if i remember. to many mechanics without hydrostat experience just replace the whole thing without attempting a repair.

For the most part I have to take there word on what is broken. They were supposed to try new swash plates but according to them that didn’t help. Anyway I should hear something soon saying it’s repaired and ready

Well. It’s still in the shop. Replacing all tranny parts and hydraulic pump. They working with me on parts from used machines and working with me on hours being charged. Why is it beating them up so much... I don’t know. Still in shop. Updates coming with full what the hell happened and what’s taking so long!! But thanks for inquiring about my Kubota

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang. Thx for the update. Was hoping Santa had got her home for you on xmas.
Best wishes OG.