running some 4" drain pipe but ....hit a rock.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I rented a ditch witch for last Saturday and dug a trench for burying 70' of 4" drain pipe. But I hit a rock about two inches down in the middle of my trenching.

So, I moved over 3.5 to 4' and tried again. Hit the rock again. Arrrrgggg. Now I'm looking for ideas on how to run the drain pipe anyway.

Possible solutions I have checked on: a jack hammer. A bit much for me to handle I'm afraid ...and it would cost me a couple hundred. So, if paying out that much I prefer to rent a small track hoe with a jack hammer implement on it to pulverize the rock. That will cost 300 to 400, depending on a few variables.

Anyone have a better way to take care of this pesky rock?

thcri RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Can you take a rod and poke around trying to figure out how big or where that rock actually is. Knowing how big it is would help you make a decision I would think.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have considered that Murph. I've seen my septic guy use a rod like that. Pretty slick. If I knew where to pick up one I'd give it a shot. As it is, I don't have one skinny enough.
But, just over the hill is a rock that a dozer guy thought he would remove. He didn't want to let it beat him. He spent over an hour on it and that rock is still there. Much like an iceberg. Much smaller on top than what is underneath.
So I'm leary of tearing up the whole yard for this rock. Septic is just 15 feet away. A tad close.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
backed off track hoe and trying an electric jack hammer. Getting er done. Whew.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes a track hoe would have been a lot more fun. That electric jack hammer sure did the job though. Busted the rock up just as was needed. Woo Hoo.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes a track hoe would have been a lot more fun. That electric jack hammer sure did the job though. Busted the rock up just as was needed. Woo Hoo.

Pictures?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's hard to hold a jack hammer and take a selfie. Sorry guys. Maybe I should have tried harder. And luckily I don't have any dentures or they probably would have ended up in the ditch.

Our dining room has double doors that open to nowhere. Plan was to build a deck off of it. I wanted a basic deck. Wife wanted a covered screened in porch.
That is way out of my skill level as you have to tie into existing roof. So I procrastinated. Last summer we had a contractor out to see about adding the screened in porch. We talked, and talked and ended up deciding on a window room that could be used year round. So ... we added a 20 x24 window room off our dining room.

The contractor tied the gutter into the existing gutter and we thought all would be okay. And it was, until we saw swarms of birds come to use our gutters as a bird bath. So, now we are having the contractor add the down spouts and I agreed to get the 150' of trenching and drain pipe run prior to him adding the down spouts.

Yesterday I laid the pipe and buried it just before the light rain set in.

Attachments

• DrainDitch1.jpg
    DrainDitch1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 12
  • DrainPipe_Covered112917.jpg
    DrainPipe_Covered112917.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 12