What did I buy?

adt2

Hiya, folks - First-time poster here, and I wanted to get my feet wet with a general question (as opposed to a problem). We bought some acreage last summer and I've been watching tractor ads ever since. Came across what appears to be a pretty good deal on Craigslist last week, called and talked to the seller, and struck a deal. The tractor is several hours away, and we're going down this weekend to pick it up.

It didn't occur to me (duh) to ask the seller what the model number was, and I can't make one out in the photos. Just wondering if anybody can identify the unit (ad called is a "28hp 2WD" unit) so I can start building up my documentation library? Also - and I realize this is a loaded question - anything specific I should be on the lookout for? I know buying it sight-unseen over the internet was a gamble, but I spent a long time on the phone with the seller, and I feel pretty good about it. He's an older guy (older than me, anyway) - mid-70's - and used the tractor for digging post-holes and smoothing out sandy soil. Barn-kept and comes with manuals, spare filters and oil, etc. Owner and his wife are moving to Maine and he didn't want to drag it along with him.

I've never owned anything larger than a riding mower, although I've used tractors all my life (grandfather had a diesel Kubota many years ago, and I've got buddies with a Chinese tractor, a Kubota, and a JD that I've borrowed for household projects over the years). I'm not unfamiliar with them, but I'm certainly not as knowledgeable as a full-time owner.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Tractor1.jpg
    Tractor1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Tractor2.jpg
    Tractor2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

adt2

Based on California's post with the link to pix of all the greymarket units (http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542), I suspect the model is FX28. There's no photos of the FX28 or FX28D in that link, but it's one of the only 28HP models listed, and the other FX-series tractors look pretty similar (based mainly on the little vertical black grille above the headlights).

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think that's about right. Might possibly be an FX24 (24 pto horsepower), advertised American-style representing the engine horsepower. (28hp). There really isn't anything specific to watch out for. These things are like a Toyota or semi-truck that will run for years with nothing needed beyond the usual maintenance - fluids & filters etc.

I think the V-Tec loader indicates it was imported and sold by the big Vietnamese import house in East Texas. Are you and the seller near there?

You are going to love it. Yanmars are amazing.

And Welcome! :tiphat:

adt2

More or less... I'm north of Houston, and the seller is near Victoria.

FWIW, I'm giving $5,500 for tractor, FEL, box blade, and post-hole digger. Does that seem reasonable?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you haven't discovered them already - Hoyetractor.com (North Texas) is the go-to parts house for gray market Yanmars in the US. They stock everything you need for maintenance and can get exotic hard parts if by chance you smash something that should have lasted the life of the tractor.

The other big gray market Yanmar support house is Fredricksequipment.com. They are now the only importer of grays (maybe aside from some little guys) and they bring all their tractors up to US safety standards before sale. A quality operation, and also a source for parts.

These things are designed to be easy to maintain. Mailorder support is all I've needed in 10+ years; nearly all was filters etc sourced from Hoye.

adt2

Thanks, California - I've already got both of those sites bookmarked. I was eyeballing Hoye's turf tire package just before lunch...

winston

You stole it at that price. I have done a little work on an FX24D so I have a couple of pictures. I believe that you have either an F24D or FX24D. Can't tell from the pictures. The FX28D/F28D has different rear wheels than your pictures. Posting a couple of pictures. One showing the power shiift handle. The range handle is on the other side of the seat. You can just see the shaft of it coming up in the picture. Sides of engine compartment were still missing when I took the pictures.

Notice the wheel difference in the attached FX28D. http://www.fastline.com/v100/Yanmar...ail-8dfb92ab-51b5-4f4d-a5e4-3932c751a4c9.aspx

Just a word of caution. I replaced the ring and pinion on the the one in the pictures. These particular models seem to have a little weakness there. Base on feedback from a gentleman that used to be in the import business and having seen several with the ring/pinion problem the suggested not running one without and overrun clutch. Shifting with the power shift on the go at high rpm without an over run can put quite a jar on the ring/pinion. the tractor I worked on did not have an over run clutch. It does now. Having said all that I really don't know whether you have a power shift or not. Either way, you got a heck of a deal. Best of luck to you. Those are smooth running models and those loaders are smooth.

Attachments

• 100_6505.jpg
    100_6505.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_6509.jpg
    100_6509.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 94

urednecku

Congratulations & welcome to the forum.
I don't know much about that brand, but wanted to chime in about the loader.
Seeing it's a 2 wheel drive tractor, be careful with a load on the front, especially on anything other flat smooth land. Too much weight on the front, it takes weight off the rear tires. You then have NO control over the tractor - there are no brakes on the front!!

adt2

Winston - I've already got your concrete rear wheel weights write-up bookmarked. That seems like a great idea.

What's the difference between the FX24 and the F24 (I know it's not a "D" - ad says 2WD)? Is it the PowerShift feature, or something else?

adt2

So it turns out, I bought an F24 with a VTeks V2 front end loader, a 5' box blade, and a post-hole digger (brand unknown). Hour meter shows about 53 hours. I'm sure that's totally accurate (can you hear my eyes rolling?). Included with purchase was the original sales receipt from the importer/reseller, dated 2011. Total price then was about $9k; I gave $5500 for it. There's a bit more surface rust on some of the bits than I'd like, but this thing spent it's whole life (in this country, anyway) about 500 yards from the gulf coast, so I guess that's to be expected. Nothing a wire wheel on a grinder and a little touch-up paint won't fix.

Thing starts right up and purrs like a very large, very hot cat. Seller included his homemade post-hole digger stand (smartest thing I've ever seen - just a gallows with a hook to hang the thing upright at the proper height for attaching), extra oil and hydraulic fluid, diesel fuel treatment, users manual in English, oil filters x2, contact info for where to buy extra parts, etc. Even opened toolbox on the back and showed me all his tools, then promptly included them with the tractor, along with a 6' pry bar, explanation for which I've now forgotten.

ROPS being delivered today (thanks, Hoye) and installed this weekend. Already got me a sweet set of pallet forks, custom-made from drill pipe, rated to 1,800 lbs, and painted red to match the tractor (see here - called "3-pt hay forks"). Used the tractor last night for several hours backfilling a 300'-long trench for underground electric service.

So far I'm a pretty happy camper. Here's a picture of a quick detour we made on the way home. Had to bribe the kiddos with a trip to the beach since they had to suffer through a 6-hour round-trip car-ride. Several people wondered why I'd brought such a serious beach toy.

Attachments

• 5236762838702303381.jpg
    5236762838702303381.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 73

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks good. Sure sounds like a good deal.
Like your detour too. Good idea. :thumb: :tiphat:

adt2

I'm happy with the purchase, but I've already determined that my next tractor needs automatic/hydrostatic transmission (forward pedal and backwards pedal instead of clutch and gear shift), power steering, and quite possibly air conditioning. That sucker damn near cooked me last night while backfilling the trench.

I'd gotten used to my buddy's Kubota with the hydrostatic/auto transmission, and it's a whole lot quicker/easier to use than stopping & shifting gears forty times a minute. Oh well, live and learn.

bmaverick

There used to be a big Yanmar seller about 8 miles east of Magnolia, TX...

28045 FM 1488 Hockley, TX 77447
http://www.stauffertractors.com

Website no longer works, and google maps shows no more tractors there :sorry:

There has to others around... Texas has a LOT of Japanese compact tractors

http://www.tractorbynet.com/directory/

Maybe they moved.
RCO Tractors in Austin, TX has sold the Yanmar grays and now carries the modern Yanmars.

Here is a listing of the Yanmar Gray dealer network here in the USA south ...
http://www.fredricksimporting.com/dealer-locator
It no longer shows a TX affiliate. LA is the closest now.

Interestingly, Hoye is in TX. So, getting parts isn't a problem.