Wings for the Curtis plow

Wild Bill

I just got an RTV900 with the Curtis plow in November and am a little disappointed.

1st off the mold board should be higher especially with the rubber deflector that hangs down so far from the top. I more or less solved this issue by adding 6" tall C-Channel to the top.

2nd, at 6' the plow just isn't wide enough. snow is rolling off the inside of the plow when I'm pushing successive passes. I'm really thinking about adding some wings.
Anyone done this? I'm looking at the Pro Wings from either Northern Tool or from E-Bay. Either that or fabbing some, but I'm not sure its worth the hassle.

i have the same problem with my curtis plow, but i have to remember what that is not the 8' meyers i am used to, i just went slower and had to make another pass. i also think the plow is light and bounces on my road when plowing, it might work good for a paved diveway, but on gravel it needs some weight.. i think the wings are a good idea.

DIXIEDOG

I like the idea of wings on a utv plow. As far as the blade being too short do you have a rubber flap on the top of the board similar to this one?

DSCF0533.jpg

It works awesome for keeping the snow from coming over the blade. I'm loving this American Eagle V-plow....I've given it some persuasion to allow it to scoop as well as be straight and v and that made cleaning up any spillage a breeze. If you don't already have one I'd try putting the rubber flat on the top...probably would work nicely to make your wings too....make sure whatever you use is either flexible or very rugged as side loading if you hit a curb or stump would be brutal on it.

Wild Bill

6474558233_9e9d27802c.jpg

I do in fact have the rubber flap on top of the plow.
I don't have a pic of it but I ended up taking the flap off and mounted 6" c-channel in the same bolt holes. Then I drilled the top of the c-channel and re-mounted the flap on top. Effectively adding another 6" to the height of the moldboard.

Wild Bill

So I decided to give the Beyer snow plow wings a try this year and I love them. Got them from e-bay and installed them in late December. The only issue is that the electric lift is pretty well maxed out. There are some situations where it doesn't like to lift to the top of its travel now :eek:

8426099768_b45f185d83_c.jpg

I had to use a right angle grinder and a cut off blade to make some minor modifications to them in order to get the mounting supports to clear the moldboard but it wasn't bad and it shouldn't have affected the integrity of the wing at all. The wing on the left has been modified while the right one is un-modified.

8425009441_c313616687_c.jpg

Here are the modifications to the plow. Two brackets are added to each edge and a hole is drilled in the moldboard for the male pin.

8425010005_9acabaa85b_c.jpg

8425010683_4aefc4820c_c.jpg

Front views

8426102312_4d85db9a31_c.jpg

Rear view. Here you can see how the wings are pinned on. Note: you can also see the 6" moldboard extension I have running across the top of the plow.

Love it, plows like a champ!
Now I just need to replace that electric lift with a hydraulic unit and I'll be all good.

This is what my setup looks like...
attachment.php

attachment.php

CPSSEALS, I'm looking at your hydraulic setup.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is seriously sweet! I wish my wood shed was that full. ;)

OK, now the plow. That's a monster! I can see why it's hard to be lifted. What does it weigh? What are you clearing, the snow belt between Rochester and Syracuse?

Wild Bill

I've never had the shed full, it can hold 24 full cord. I've had maybe 18 to 20 in it tops. I use 8 cord a year for heat and hot water in my Switzer boiler and I ideally want to use two year seasoned wood.

The wings weigh either 60# or 80# and the moldboard extension might be another 20#. I was hoping that the lift would be able to handle an extra 80 - 100# but as mentioned it is maxed out.

Were down in the southern tier but above the snow line. We have a 250' driveway. The way everything is situated the garage sits down from a slight knoll. Between that knoll and the fact that the garage and house slow the wind we get a nice drift right in front of the garage.

Therefore I end up plowing about 40' x 150' of my yard in addition to the driveway. If I have a foot of snow in the yard, the drift in front of the garage is another foot higher...

I'm pretty sure the people driving down the road think i'm nuts plowing a parking lot for 20 cars :rolleyes:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That sure is one nice looking plow set up.
Looks like you've had plenty of snow to try it out on this year too. :thumb:
It probably doesn't take you much time to do your drive and that extra area. The RTV is just getting warmed up. :)

Wild Bill

The plow is just under 8' wide with the wings and the RTV has no issues pushing the snow. I do however have studded tire chains and 600# of sand in the bed.

I was really impressed with how it did in the snow here this year. I took it 200 yards down over our hill to plow a tubing run with banked corners and all. I was a little nervous the first time taking it down over with 16 inches of snow but it came back up to the house with no trouble. I wish I had some video of those first trips over with the plow fully loaded with snow, pushing up some really nice berms.

The only way I get my 4WD tractor back up is if I claw my way up with the teeth on the bucket...

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Wild Bill,

Here are some photos of my attempts to install hydraulics to my 900 and then the 1100.

If you click on each picture you will see a small message of explanation.

Hopefully something will be of use.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118373...&authkey=Gv1sRgCJaC0q3m8ZLhag&feat=directlink

https://plus.google.com/photos/1183...s/5605099621385948529?authkey=CMTUq9ii5dznlAE

PS: Thinking of it now, I would;

Make the new bumper smaller and just a mount for the hydraulics, as a bumper is really not needed when you have a plow on and it would save some weight. So no bumper pieces extending out the sides like I have.

Leave the electric selector valve on the plow to simplify the setup. Much like it was on my 900 setup. Thinking at the time was to protect the unit by placing it in under the hood, but this lead to expensive thru fittings.

Make sure to keep the relieve valve that you have now installed. I did not and bent some swing mount bolts because of hitting things. Last version shows it installed.

Hydraulcs are allot stronger and really work better, so always a good choice.

When extending the existing arms to attach to the new frame mount, the piece that is the new bumper/hydraulic mount, you notice the last pictures show a flat bar running across to join the new arms to the old curtis plow swivel mount. They are about 12" long. Wish now they were 16 to 18" long so the plow was farther out in front for better visibility. Hard to see the corners when it tight into the front of the RTV. And plowing over a ditch you can be to the edge of the pavement and still pushing snow into the ditch, if you get my drift.

Key consideration. swivel mount must be dead level when welding on the extension arms. That is why you see two versions in my last views or the 1100 version. First weld job was off slightly and when you angle the plow it digs in on the opposite corner if the swivel is not level when the plow is

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Would love to check it out :)
Unfortunatly the links don't work for me :(

Google Error

404 NOT_FOUND

Unable to process request.

Edit: I searched for your posts and found this thread with working links.
I really like all your pics and info. Just need to get past the christmas bills, county, state, and federal taxes in order to get some play money again...

Last edited: