RTV 900. 2006 model

Well here we go....I took the filter down and cut it in half....very tough job without the proper tools, I used a saws all to cut in half and that wasn't a good idea because it made to much metal while cutting. I didn't notice other metals, yellow or anything that would stick out at me. The only metal I seen inside the filter came from cutting the filter it's self.
After checking the filter I installed the new filter and begin filling the transfer case. Once filled I started the engine and let it run for a few minutes. Note: I still have the rear of the Kobota on jacks, so nothing touching the ground. Slowly I put in gear (low) and press a little go pedal. Nothing happened...changed gears and again nothing happened. No noise, no gears moving the motor doesn't sound under any strain or anything. I can change gears quickly with no restriction to changing gears as normally it would be a slower process and not as loose and easy. I need to check the hydraulic oil pressure, I don't think I'm getting circulation or what ever it takes to turn the wheels....
If I can't find the easier fix as I hope for, I will be forced to bring it to a shop:gotsmoney::gotsmoney: Again I think its the oil causing this......what method is used to check the oil pressure and what pressure should i have?

Thanks everyone for all the good advise

Kurt (Old German)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
OK. the filter sounds good. did you cut both filters or just one? i don't think your system is priming. did you put clean oil in the new filter before you put it on? look the machine over real good for any other oil tanks like under the seat and on rear under the bed. make sure all tanks are full fill filter with oil and reinstall, disconnect the hst from the control linkage so you can move the lever from forward to reverse while the engine idles. withengine idling cycle the hst lever from forward to reverse several times and see if it will prime. also before you do anything you might try taking off of the jacks and see if it will prime while sitting level."it is worth a try" oh and before we go any further please confirm you are using super udt or udt kubota oil.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
On the early models- not the new necessarily - the reservoir under the seat is for the power steering fluid. and of course the little one there is for the coolant.
The transmission fill is at that rubber capped vent/fill port by the dip stick. The plastic tank at the rear is for the added hyd items like the lift.It won't be there if the RTV doesn't have the extra hyd features. I have had a 2005 and a 2011 RTV 900 and this is the way they are.
The new models have the fill ports in odd places so this doesn't necessarily work for them. bordercollie

That will be the next thing I do....at the moment moving the shifter with engine running is not a problem...I can do this very easy.

disconnect the hst from the control linkage so you can move the lever from forward to reverse while the engine idles

1)make sure the machine is level
2)fill the filter with oil....I didn't do that.
3)find a place to bleed oil and check pressure

ovrszd

On the early models- not the new necessarily - the reservoir under the seat is for the power steering fluid. and of course the little one there is for the coolant.
The transmission fill is at that rubber capped vent/fill port by the dip stick. The plastic tank at the rear is for the added hyd items like the lift.It won't be there if the RTV doesn't have the extra hyd features. I have had a 2005 and a 2011 RTV 900 and this is the way they are.
The new models have the fill ports in odd places so this doesn't necessarily work for them. bordercollie

Good stuff right there!!!!

Lee1935

I'm a Kubota novice, but the pressure Kubota says is the sweet spot is 78 pounds.
What type of gauge and how you adjust the pressure is something I have no knowledge of (yet☺☺)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
That will be the next thing I do....at the moment moving the shifter with engine running is not a problem...I can do this very easy.

disconnect the hst from the control linkage so you can move the lever from forward to reverse while the engine idles

1)make sure the machine is level
2)fill the filter with oil....I didn't do that.
3)find a place to bleed oil and check pressure

I am pretty sure on the early non X models the RTV shared some characteristics with the small hydrostat tractors. so the hst had the available forward and reverse inthe hst no matter what gear the unit is in. this is why you can adjust forward creep when the peddle is in the rear position. i remember in the past reading of a mod someone did to have a rocker peddle on the floor so they could move from forward to reverse without gear change. i thought it might be a big help to get the prime if you could moove this lever from forward to reverse even if the unit wasn't in gear at low idle.:tiphat:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i also read on another forum where a fella had warped swash plates on an 06 RTV 900. when he reassembled everything the unit wouldn't move so he took it to the dealer who disassembled everything and confirmed it was ok. the dealer had trouble getting the unit to prime also but once it all primed up all was good.:wave:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i'll take the lack of activity on this means that Old German is off riding the hills in his repaired RTV.

I wish I was riding the hills......do I wish....been very busy with work, I own a cabinet shop and people are waiting on there kitchen cabinets.

I decided to take the machine to a certified kobota dealer and have the mechanic check it out.....I filled everything, rechecked everything and still can get the wheels to turn anymore. I can change the gears back and forth with no resistance, this actually can be done with giving a little go peddle. The shifting feels totally loose. Before I keep messing with the machine and possibly make matters worse, I'll have to put my trust in the mechanic and hope he is a straight shooter and don't try to take my money. I will go and talk with the mechanic and tell him all about whats happen so far and keep my finger cross...

Thanks, and i will keep everyone up to date on the progress.....

Old German

Kurt

ovrszd

Thanks for the update Kurt. Hoping this works out. At a minimum I'm hoping we all learn something!!!!

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Kurt, its hard for me to give up on fixing things myself. But in the words of Clint Eastwood "A Man's Got To Know His Limitations". And I know mine so I totally agree with your involving a professional at this stage.

Good luck and hope they are kind to you. I find that a dozen donuts and Tim Horton's coffee for the service department usually has a positive impact on the bill. :)

Thanks Ohio Pawpaw,

I will must certainly do that....that is a very good idea..hit the mechanics with fresh donuts first thing in the morning should help matters.

Kurt

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Dog Gonnit Kurt i am sorry!! i was wishing that you were off enjoying a ride somewhere. please let us know what the mechanic finds???

I had a long talk with the machanic and he assured me he will do his best to look for a easy repair and not just say “well looks like you need a new tranny”. He did say a new tranny is only $6000 ��. As of now I hadn’t heard anything from them so guess I’ll give em a call.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
A good mechanic should be able to gut that transmission and fix it "easy repair" or not. If they recommend replacement they had better have a good reason!