SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
CONGRATULATIONS!

Now you can start collecting implements. :mrgreen:

jbrumberg

CONGRATULATIONS!

Now you can start collecting implements. :mrgreen:

Ditto- Jay

Use it safely and well and we will all help you spend your hard earned money on more attachments :thumb:. We can start this project by you telling us a lot more about your property, location, and intended projects :D!

Jay :letitsnow:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Well guys, we did it!

Congrats to both of you.
If you need an operators manual, they're available from New Holland. But I think I'd look on eBay myself. Make sure you get the manual dated 1999 and not 2002. It should be for serial numbers below UD33666. I found several in eBay Stores. There was a repair manual as well.........at a GOOD price.

Missy

Thanks guys- MIke and I are ginning up a work list this week. Part of our problem right now is:
We're BROKE!!!!

But we will be renting an auger to do some fencework ASAP. And we need a few loads of soil pretty quick too. We had some problems after months of drought with some sudden, heavy rains. Basically we had a sink hole develop. But we have enough to keep up busy until the bank account rescusitates again. It's presently on life support!

jwstewar

Staff member
Congrats Missy & Mike. I'm sure you will enjoy your little blue beast as much as I do mine. I still grin everytime I get off of it after it helped me do a chore so much easier than without it. Also congrats. I believe you are the first ones we've helped buy a New Holland and you also have the longest thread in the New Holland section.

N

Nicahawk

Thanks guys- MIke and I are ginning up a work list this week. Part of our problem right now is:
We're BROKE!!!!

But we will be renting an auger to do some fencework ASAP. And we need a few loads of soil pretty quick too. We had some problems after months of drought with some sudden, heavy rains. Basically we had a sink hole develop. But we have enough to keep up busy until the bank account rescusitates again. It's presently on life support!

Ck out the Dougster :starbucks: for a loan. He pretends :hide: to be a pauper and has only gruel to eat, but that's primarily to get sympathy from the rest of us poor folks. But I heard he has it (those really big bills), stashed away on his property in really big jars!!!!:rolleyes: Even with all that, ya still gotta like him.:starbucks: Well, a little.

Dougster

Old Member
Ck out the Dougster :starbucks: for a loan. He pretends :hide: to be a pauper and has only gruel to eat, but that's primarily to get sympathy from the rest of us poor folks. But I heard he has it (those really big bills), stashed away on his property in really big jars!!!!:rolleyes: Even with all that, ya still gotta like him.:starbucks: Well, a little.
The OLD MEMBER refuses to be drawn into this unspoiled thread by such devious and dastardly lies! :rolleyes: Trust me, if there were as little as 15 cents buried in the back yard, I'd be out there digging it up right now as we speak! :eek: I'm afraid all that's out there in the back yard is Dougster Swamp and one half-frozen alligator waiting for spring to arrive. :eek:

But while I am here, I will welcome Missy and Michael to NTT and wish them the best of luck with their nifty new toy! :thumb: Looks awfully nice to me! :wave:

Dougster :starbucks:

Missy

HI!

"so, now that you've got the new baby home, what you gonna name it?"
:beer:
Erik

"I believe you are the first ones we've helped buy a New Holland and you also have the longest thread in the New Holland section."

I'm thinking that we ought to have a naming contest... or Mike's gonna call MY tractor Herbie- which ain't gonna happen! Then Jim- we can keep this thread going even longer! (or not:eek: )

But having spent the morning at Ag Supply- I could use some help with this RC. I think we're headed for a 60" Bush hog type. But there's so many!!! Any advice on makes/brands?

Thanks!
Missy

jbrumberg

Missy & Mark:

Just be aware of the RC weight factor. A HD RC is pretty heavy and could create some balance challenges if rotary cutting on slopes. I keep my FEL on, keep it low, and mow slow when I am rotary cutting my field. The FEL helps balance out the rig and will "find" things before the RC does :eek:. There have been endless arguments at another not to be mentionned tractor site about this and that brand and which is better. People swear by KK, Woods, Rhino, LandPride, Hause, etc. I just took a look around my area and saw many of the operators had Tebbins so I ended up getting a medium duty 60". I did manage to literally kill a HD Woods RC years ago by tremendous abuse of the RC on my old Ford, but I was cutting down a lot of .5" - +2" poplars in my field of spirea. Jwstewar needed a 48" RC to cut a lot of nasty vegetation. Now that he cleared that stuff out he feels and I agree that he could use a 60". It really does not take a lot of PTO HP to get the RC's blades moving (if the gearbox is in good shape, and the blades are balanced). The real issue is what you are going to cut with those moving blades. There were some "Rules of Thumb" I read somewhere once- I will get back to you, but I believe that if you are cutting field grass and may a 1/2" - 1" sapling or two a light duty or better yet a medium duty RC would meet your needs. The difference is usually the gearbox and maybe steel thickness. Jay

Erik

keep an eye on the "ag" and "lawn & garden" sections in your local classifieds.
I gave $225 for my 60" Servus RC mower and another $100 getting a new seal to replace the one the previous owner had put in upside down (he was selling it because it kept blowing seals) and having the blades reworked because they had apparently been used to mow rocks.
this is still less than half the cost of a light duty TSC sale priced King Kutter.

shinnlinger

I bought 5 ft JD RC for $500 complete with driveshaft a few years back and it has done me well. I have beat the crap out of it in the rough stuff and am glad I didn't do it with my nice flail mower, but be careful, you wouldnt want to buy my RC. Look it over and under (especialy under)though and there are some great deals to be had

I will second J's comment of mowing with the FEL on. I put the bucket low so it finds the rocks before the mower does and sometimes I will mow in low range if it gets thick and gooey. The PtO still spins in the 540 range reagardless how fast the tractor is going.

Missy

Mowers and Auger and tractors- oh my!

Hey It's me again-

After looking at some used RCs- of dubious quality :puke1: we'll keep looking, but we also priced out some new ones. Based on primary use being flat pastures - grass and weeds up to 10" high, and the pond area- grasses, raspberry bushes, willow and maple saplings up to 1" diameter. We're leaning to the 60", medium duty, 40hp gearbox rating RC. These 3 seem to meet those requirements.
We found two types at Ag Supply:
King Cutter (12 ga) $669.- lower gauge, but several cross framing members on the deck for strengthening
Kodiak (11 ga) $620.- heavier gauge, but no cross framing on deck

At the New Holland dealer:
Razorback $800. (Bush Hog brand)

Anyone got any input on those?

Also- our worklist demands an auger ASAP- we looked at rentals, and at $350 for a week ($110/day)- buying one for $459 (w/ 9" auger) just seemed to make sense. The question is: Can our TC24D safely handle the 50HP? Please advise...:eek:

As always, thanks for the help!
Missy (and Mike too!)

Missy

The OLD MEMBER refuses to be drawn into this unspoiled thread by such devious and dastardly lies! :rolleyes: Trust me, if there were as little as 15 cents buried in the back yard, I'd be out there digging it up right now as we speak! :eek: I'm afraid all that's out there in the back yard is Dougster Swamp and one half-frozen alligator waiting for spring to arrive. :eek:

But while I am here, I will welcome Missy and Michael to NTT and wish them the best of luck with their nifty new toy! :thumb: Looks awfully nice to me! :wave:

Dougster :starbucks:
Thanks Dougster- you seem perfectly nice to me- why do they all give you such a bad time? Oldsters should get more respect, dontchya think?

Missy (newbie)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Missy, I've never heard of the Kodiak, so it's hard to comment on it.
I've seen posts by folks who bought the KK hog and all were happy with it. I know Bush Hog makes a quality product, as I have a Bush Hog Rear finish mower. It is awesome. If you could swing the extra cash I'd go for that.
But I really believe the KK or Kodiac would probably work great for your needs. I prefer not to have to deal with a shear bolt. I'll presume none of the models you listed use the shear bolt but the slip clutch.
If they use the shear bold and you hit a stump that breaks the bolt, your are done until you replace the shear bolt. With the slip clutch you just wait for the cutter to get back up to speed and continue cutting.
Buy new if at all possible. The RC's lead a rough life, so best if you can start out with a fresh one.

shinnlinger

Missy,

I bet your machine can handle a 9" auger but it may balk at 12" BUt it really depends on soils. If you lower the auger slowly and pull it out frequently you shouldn't have trubs. Get the Auger! And there is thread going on Hook up times in general operating that may help you with putting the auger on and off.

It is the sheet metal that takes a pounding on these machines so I suppose the KK gets my vote for the three you mentioned.

I welded an extra plate on the top of mine where the blade kept knicking it. I also have been know to heat and straighten my blades from time to time, but if you dont have rocky feilds this may be way less of an issue for you.

As you know, I bought a used RC and it has a slip clutch, but unfortunatly you have to tighten it up so much to keep it from slipping that when I do hit a rock, it can stall the tractor, which isn't a good thing. SHeer bolts are just soft bolts you buy off the shelf at the hardware store. Stock up on them (do not let them talk you into hardened bolts!) and keep several on the tractor when mowing so you dont have down time if you get a shear pin model.

Missy

Glad you guys are online- just to AG Supply about the auger- now they say we need the "compact sized" auger for our hitch size... ?? First anyone's mentioned that- not even the NH dealer said a word about it.

Any ideas?
Missy