Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
2005 Silverado, about 300K miles. Anyone have trouble with low oil pressure on start up?

I am told its a fairly common problem with gasoline 6.0 liter V8 which doesn't make me feel any better.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if so, did you fix the issue or replace the engine - which are the options I have right now.

Grateful to know what worked for you.

I don't know the answer but I have exactly the same truck. Ck engine light stays on. Had it checked and it was something that would not impact the operation of the engine. Engine Vibration sensor.
So please share when you do learn anything on this.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
2005 Silverado, about 300K miles. Anyone have trouble with low oil pressure on start up?

I am told its a fairly common problem with gasoline 6.0 liter V8 which doesn't make me feel any better.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if so, did you fix the issue or replace the engine - which are the options I have right now.

Grateful to know what worked for you.

Is it low pressure at startup or at all temps. On a high mileage engine the oil pressure drops do to clearances opening up such as bearings, lifter galleries and the oil pump itself, as I'm sure you are aware.

If it's only low at startup, I'd check the pressure with a separate gauge as I might suspect the oil pressure sender may becoming defective.

If it's at all temperatures, a rebuilt long block is probably the best value as SBC's even the newer LS's are pretty reasonable from Jasper and the other usual suspects.

shinnery

I don't own no chebbys but if I was having low oil pressure problems I believe my first step would be to check the gauge and then look at replacing the oil pump.
Bryce

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
'

Butane or LP? Not that they don't exist (just never heard of one) but we had a lot of LP tractors around here. I think I even have a picture of a 4020.
My bil calls it butane but yes, it is really LP . I guess we will always refer to it as "the butane tractor" . The cut off mechanisms (liquid and vapor ,)for the fuel tank are a bear to find. He did find 2 original kits on e bay though .Otherwise it leaks terribly.:17875: bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yesterday I hauled my RTV1140 to the dealer for it's 800 hour full service. Fingers crossed they can also get the windshield to work with the RTV900 top I put on the 1140. Afraid they will tell me I have to go with the roof made for the RTV-1140 for the windshield to fit right. That roof is expensive. They were doing the work today, no call yet. Hope that is a good sign.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, we got up to 35° yesterday! First time it's been above freezing in a couple months. (In the last month, we only got above 20° twice). The next couple days, we may get into the 40's.

The snow is taken care of (driveways and trails have been cleared) but now we'll have to deal with possible flooding with the snow melt as well as ice as the temps go back down below freezing at night.

I shoveled the bottom half of the roofs so we don't get ice build-up. If you live in snow country and don't have a roof shovel, I highly recommend one.

Will get 3 wood trailers up to the back of the house before the ground starts to melt today.

How's everyone else doing? Looking at the national maps, it looks like we're all going to see warming temps.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The little snow we got has finally disappeared and troughs are loose . Yesterday, it was still in front of the barn doors though. I was glad it was because a big 12 ft long piece of 3" PVC conduit schedule 40 that was propped up, fell and hit me in the head. It knocked me to the ground flat- of all days not to have my big and soft furry ear flap hat on. but at least I had the snow to land on. Dixie came and checked me out with a bunch of licks so I came out ok. Thanks to the Lord because it sure hit hard. collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you -I'm ok, Zoom. For a second ,as I lay in the snow and grabbing my head, I though uh oh .. but I've got a skull like granite.-Steering wheels , falling limbs etc have all tried to crack it :bonk:but all I got were goose eggs and maybe a half grapefruit with the steering wheel :bonk: . :tiphat: collie

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Collie, ya think maybe a hard hat should be part of your working attire? I'm not sure if your noggin can take many more blows. Put your fuzzy hat on, the one with the warm ear flaps and then a hard hat on top. You could use duct tape and a bungee to hold it on. Just saying.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't think it's been mentioned here but is everyone aware of the Kidde fire extinguisher recall?
http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/

Over 40 million extinguishers have been recalled spanning 1975-2016.

They made them under several brand names so unless your extinguishers were made by First Alert, there's a decent chance it has been recalled.

Check your extinguishers against their web site. If it's affected, you can submit your product online and they'll send you a replacement.

I had 10 extinguishers recalled and they replaced all of them. It may take a little time to get the replacement as they're a little busy and back-ordered.

They provide instructions on how to return your old one but I called their customer service and they said returning them isn't necessary. I'm going to give mine to either the Boy Scouts or local fire department so they can use them for training.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Thank you bczoom! I have a quite a few dozen extinguishers and some of them are Kiddes. I will follow up and take advantage of this. I appreciate the notice.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Thank you bczoom! I have a quite a few dozen extinguishers and some of them are Kiddes. I will follow up and take advantage of this. I appreciate the notice.

That is a lot but if you need them, not overkill. I checked out the large ones in my pole barn and they were part of the recall.

I used the Kidde website and sent them the numbers off the extinguishers they asked for. Got an email back apologizing for a delay in sending them as were in high demand.

About three weeks later a Fedex package shows up with them in it. All new and charged.

You will need to send the old ones back and they include a return Fedex label. I repackaged them and took them to the local Fedex location and they said they couldn't handle them do to hazardous regs. The closest drop off was 30 or so miles away but if I called Fedex they would pick them up off my front porch.

I called Fedex, they said they would pick them up. I put them on my porch and two days later they were gone.

The whole thing was pretty easy and credits to Kidde for standing behind their products.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You will need to send the old ones back and they include a return Fedex label.
I spoke with their customer service. What they're looking for is the bad ones. They said I didn't have to return all of them but could give them to an organization (in my case, Boy Scouts or Fire Department) that would discharge them for training purposes. If they did fail when trying to discharge, they requested they get sent back. I have all mine packaged up as if they're going back to Kidde and will pass them out packaged. If they fail in the discharge process, they just put it back in the box to be sent back via FedEx.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, most of our snow has melted. Time to put the stone that was plowed into the lawn back into the driveway. For me, the easiest technique is to use the backpack leaf blower. I don't even need to run it at full speed. It blows the rocks right out of the grass. I cleaned out all the stone on a 200' driveway in under 15 minutes.

What's your technique?

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I retrofitted a pair of full size plow feet that I picked up from tsc. They are the ticket! Plowed driveway without moving any gravel, they worked so good I even plowed part the lawn around the chicken tractor so the girls would have somewhere to hang out.

Attachments

• 6DABC389-CFF9-4C41-A18A-B91310FE60C2.jpg
    6DABC389-CFF9-4C41-A18A-B91310FE60C2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 38

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Blacktop -:clap:
My main driveway (to the house) is concrete. My 2nd driveway back to my buildings is stone. ;)

The plow on the ATV has feet but most of the time, I prefer the 6' scraper blade off the back of the tractor. We get a lot of ice where I live so I like to get all the way down to the concrete or stone as much as possible, otherwise I just end up with pure ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.