rtv tranny fluid change

markc

I have a question.My new rtv 1140 has 50 hrs on it and its time for the 50 hr service. my question is the owners manual states replace the yellow hst filter and the orange suction filter. now the hydralic fluid said replace at 400 hrs. am i ok the leave the factory original fluid in place and just change filters or will it run out if the filters are replaced

markc

guest i should of done a search first i follow this forum on a daily basic never remembered a post about leaving the fluid in. sorry for the double post

markc

thanks. art454 just found the thread on it and it answered my question. i remember that thread also guest i was having a senior moment

Art454

I been there a few times.......more than a few Mark....lol
Glad your manual said 400 hours to....I don't think some here believed me since the 900s were different.

Art

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Art454 said:
I don't think some here believed me since the 900s were different.

Art454,
It not a matter of believing you or not. And please, don't take what I post as a slap on your statements or post. This forum is here to help....The RTV 900 manual, is the ONLY manual that I have read. AND, having the workshop manual disc set, I have looked threw it many, many times.
And what was Stated, was exactly what was said about the hours, fluid, and filters on the 900.

Personally, I will not, and would not go any 400 hours on any fluid ( and / or filter ) in my RTV, either it being a 900, 1100, 1140, or any other model they pop up with. That is just to much. Period !!!!
Not saying Kubota don't know what they have built. But, there is some on this forum, and the older forum, that many of us has been members on, can remember very well about the owners manual that had some misprints in them. Forgot what year and what was part was wrong, but there was a boo-boo and was discussed on the older forum . And the members kept each others informed on the matter that was wrong.

I will tell you this, best stay with the OEM Kubota Tranny filters. And be careful what fluid you go back with. For you might have the biggest surprise you have ever had. That would be a
Kubota RTV sitting still >>>>>

......... jamie

Attachments

• Set bear traps 2008.jpg
    Set bear traps 2008.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 191
Last edited by a moderator:

Art454

Two Guns I was as surprised as any that it said 400 hours.....I thought it was a misprint on the manual myself. Ask the dealer and they had to find out threw kubota as they said I was the first to ask and it was always 50 hours on filters and oil.
I wonder if you buy a new 900 if they changed that to.
Maybe someone will chime.
I like to no whats going on with gas today here.....20 to 30 cents a difference in a few hours and back and forth all day.
Really hate to buy the stuff you always feel like your getting riped off.

Art

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
.....I thought it was a misprint on the manual myself.
Art

Well, look at it this way. By far, It don't hurt to change it early.

But look at the damage worn out fluid can cause. Wishing and crying about it will not
fix your machine if something goes south....

Yes, you have to spend a very little.

You can't put a price tag on a piece of mind.

Just think about it really hard. Would you jump out of a airplane with a doubtful
parachute? It is your life your talking about.
Your working on the life of your RTV >>>>>

.... two guns

Attachments

• bABY GATOR.jpg
    bABY GATOR.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
It is the price of the super UDT that makes me want to cry. As for changing the fluid and filters I do it as the book says. Can't afford to be without the beast around here. Never had a problem except for throwing a fan belt when I backed over a stick.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
.... but do know one thing. In the next few days, going to contact the Amsoil company,
and see if they have the equivalant fluid as the Super UDT. For if I am not mistaken,
seems like somewhere, the information of the manufactor of the Super UDT was Chevron .
For I know for a fact, the Super UDT has certain properties and the vicosity level is at a certain point for the Kubota tranny to work at it's best. I will try the Amsoil ONLY IF the properties will be the same as the Kubota Super UDT. Amsoil make a superior synthetic engine oil, and if they do make a hydro oil that will match the quality of the Super, I will test fire it in our RTV. I will have no problem with that. As far as any other brand, NOPE, will not even think about it.

...... two guns

Attachments

• shooting_monkey.gif
    shooting_monkey.gif
    186.6 KB · Views: 163

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i done a search and it seems that valvolene make kubota's udt oil and kubota puts their name on it so if you want a perfect match check out valvolene. hope this helps out

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i checked a few forums and they all say that valvoline makes all the udt oils for kubotas.you can probably buy it at any store for half the price of botas price.they are like john deere after they put their name on it the price jumps up double or triple

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
.... but do know one thing. In the next few days, going to contact the Amsoil company,
and see if they have the equivalant fluid as the Super UDT. For if I am not mistaken,
seems like somewhere, the information of the manufactor of the Super UDT was Chevron .
For I know for a fact, the Super UDT has certain properties and the vicosity level is at a certain point for the Kubota tranny to work at it's best. I will try the Amsoil ONLY IF the properties will be the same as the Kubota Super UDT. Amsoil make a superior synthetic engine oil, and if they do make a hydro oil that will match the quality of the Super, I will test fire it in our RTV. I will have no problem with that. As far as any other brand, NOPE, will not even think about it.

...... two guns

i took this from one of the threads on a forum too."Amsoil's Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil, it's rated as a substitution for Kubota UDT."

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
this is a copy&past from another reutable site

The Valvoline tech line just replyed to my e-mail and according to them, Valvoline Unitrac Hydraulic Oil-3098 is a direct replacement to Kubota UDT.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i have no idea i just popped in what oil company makes the oils for kubota and lots of web sites popped up so i started reading them.but as for as kubota fluids it seems that valvoline is where they get their fuids from and they just pop their name on it.i would guess that valvoline makes all thier fuids for that matter.

Mark.Sibole

came across this and thought it may have some info for everyone

Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF

Customer Benefits

Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF delivers value through

Reducing operational costs — Excellent performance in a wide range of ambient and operating temperatures provides year-round improved low temperature hydraulic and transmission responsiveness versus typical John Deere J20C fluids. This eliminates the need to switch fluids between seasons thereby saving substantial operating expense.

Longer oil life — Outstanding ability of the base stock to withstand oxidation at high operating temperatures results in increased service life of the oil.

Longer equipment life — Special additives protect metal surfaces against scuffing and wear even under severe operating conditions — leading to increased equipment life.

Lower inventory cost — One fluid does the job of a full range of mobile hydraulic systems. Can replace multiple products and free up shelf space too!

Minimizing weather and storage concerns — Protects against rust and corrosion of highly finished precision parts when operating in humid conditions and during seasonal shutdown periods.

Reduced downtime — Good compatibility with seals, O-rings, and packing materials maintains their good condition and keeps leakage at a minimum.

Smoother operation — By eliminating brake "chatter" and transmission "slip" it assures quiet and efficient action of brakes and transmission.

More reliable operation — Formulation keeps metal parts clean and free of varnish and sludge deposits that could result in premature breakdown.

Features

Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF is a truly unique, high quality, multifunctional fluid, specially formulated for use in transmissions, final drives, wet brakes, and hydraulic systems of tractors and other equipment employing a common fluid reservoir.

Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF is specially designed for unsurpassed operation in all types of weather — both severe winter cold and extreme summer heat. In fact, Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF meets the requirements of both John Deere J20C and J20D specifications. This, combined with excellent oxidation stability, eliminates the need for seasonal oil changes.

Its distinctive orange color provides for easy product identification and leak detection.

Functions

Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF is an unsurpassed combination lubricant for modern tractors and similar equipment. It performs many functions, such as lubrication of the transmission and final drive, and serves as a hydraulic fluid to operate power steering units, brakes, implements, and attachments.

Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF has a viscosity index much higher than typical multifunctional transmission/hydraulic fluids. This provides excellent flow at low temperatures and good oil film protection at high operating temperatures.

Furthermore, Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF
eliminates brake "chatter" and excessive brake facing wear
assures smooth operation of clutch packs and wet brakes
provides excellent shifting action
provides superior rust and corrosion protection for vital parts
minimizes leakage because of good compatibility with seals, O-rings, and packing materials
prevents sludge and varnish formation
protects metal surfaces against scuffing and wear
provides superior gear lubrication compared to typical cold weather, low viscosity tractor hydraulic fluids
allows for ready leak detection because of its distinctive orange color.

Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF is compatible with other combination tractor, transmission, and hydraulic fluids. It is recommended as an Allison C4 fluid for use in their transmissions.

Applications

Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF is recommended for use
as a multifunctional and multiseasonal fluid in all types of tractors and construction equipment.
in any application which calls for the following OEM lubricant specifications:

John Deere — J20C, J20D
AGCO — improved power fluid 821XL
Ford New Holland — ESN-M2C134-D, FNHA-2-C-201, FNHA-2-C-200
Massey Ferguson — M1135, M1141, M1127, M1129A
White Farm Equipment — Q-1826
Case — JIC-143, JIC-145, MS 1206, MS 1207
Oliver — Type 55
Minneapolis-Moline Fluids
Caterpillar TO-2
Renk — Bus Automatic Transmission Fluid
Allison C4
Kubota Super UDT, UDT
International Harvester B6

Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF is an excellent hydraulic fluid for all types of hydraulic systems. It passes the High Pressure Vane Pump Test, ASTM D 2882, with less than 15 mg steel weight loss.

Do not use in high pressure systems in the vicinity of flames, sparks and hot surfaces. Use only in well ventilated areas. Keep container closed.

Typical Test Data

CPS Number 255237
MSDS Number 6948
API Gravity 34.5
Viscosity, Kinematic
cSt at 40°C
cSt at 100°C 44.7
Viscosity, Saybolt
SUS at 100°F
SUS at 210°F 225
Viscosity, Brookfield
cP at -40°C 17,000
Viscosity Index 204
Flash Point, °C(°F) 242(468)
Pour Point, °C(°F) -45(-49)
Color Orange

Typical test data are average values only. Minor variations which do not affect product performance are to be expected in normal manufacturing.

Source: TTF-45
Date: 09/18/2000
Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2001 ChevronTexaco Corporation. All rights reserved

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
For sure, that you can't just put any 'ole hydro fluid in the RTV and expect it to run.

Like I posted a few years ago, on the old site., Had a friend who changed the fluid in his, and went back with some tractor fluid from a local tractor dealership. He called himself saving money....And within a few hours, his machine would hardly move out of it's tracks. He was sick for he didn't have a clue what was wrong until he finally told me he went back with some other fluid. We changed fluids, went back with the Super UDT and OEM Kubota filters, and he was back in business !!!!
It has to be something special in the properties of this fluid that goes into these machines.
For I also know, even both UDT AND SUPER UDT, will run in the RTV's, the Super has diffferent properties that is involved in it. Know for a fact, it runs stronger, moves machine faster and the pick up power is there. The pumps inside the tranny moves the fluid better and faster on the Super UDT.

So like stated before, I like all of Amsoil products, and if they can prove to me the properties
are the same or better than that of the Super UDT. I will try it.
They are many great hydro fluids on the market. But I will always believe it takes a special blend of hydro fluid for the RTV's to get the best performance it can give, without any damage and helping giving us long life with our machines....

....... jamie

Attachments

• never-give-up-.jpg
    never-give-up-.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 123