Changing the Front Boots on RTV900

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is awesome David!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd put a tag on this important post of yours ! :) collie

Fitch

That'll work.

I liked your approach - a lot. I do that sort of thing when I need to proof a process.

Well done.

Edited to add: If you have time, please list the drill size, the taps used, and the part number of the insert. I think I saw some Red Loctite. If not, did you use any thread glue or sealant?

Fitch

David69

The hardest part was finding the right insert, the correct drill bit, 2 different taps (regular taper and flat bottom taps). The gears sit only about 5/16 of a inch above the aluminum casing. That is where the flat bottom came in. And of course screwing up the thread taps and then having a larger hole to deal with. I was able to still use the original M10-1.50 drain plug.

David69

I bought the insert from Kubota. They were a VERY big help. They use this insert on their repairs The service manager told me Caterpillar uses these on all their big equipment. $23.00 for the insert. I had to cut it down it was too long. Taps were M16-1.50 Drill bit 9/16" The insert is very similar to Time-Sert 010.jpg

banjo

Thanks for this topic bordercollie. Looks like I am about to have to fight this battle as well, but its worse than a boot. I'll post more when I get into it a little deeper. 4 wheel drive is out of the machine and the left front axle going to the transfer case is floppy loose. Bummer More to come. Banjo

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for this topic bordercollie. Looks like I am about to have to fight this battle as well, but its worse than a boot. I'll post more when I get into it a little deeper. 4 wheel drive is out of the machine and the left front axle going to the transfer case is floppy loose. Bummer More to come. Banjo

Oh my, Banjo. Please keep us informed and the best to you. collie

banjo

Knew i had a problem a while back. Found it today. That shaft is floppy loose. I have found the whole unit on ebay for about a hundred bucks. Has all new boots , completely assembled. Has anyone on here tried any of those. Banjo

Attachments

• 20160306_173620.jpg
    20160306_173620.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 147

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I saw that on e bay banjo. I haven't had to do that complete repair thankfully. When I took my shaft off of the '05 bota to replace the boots, I did go and ask a buddy that is a mechanic what he thought of the motion it made up in the boot area. ( I had removed the boot.) He wiggled it around , there was no slop and he said it was fine. I said thanks and then went home and put the boots on.
. Best to you .collie

banjo

Looks like a problem. I ordered a new one a bit ago. should be in within a week or so. I have a battery on order as well so it was down anyway. Got 10 years out of the origional. Brand was Deka...I ordered another one. Hope it lasts as long as the first.. Banjo

Attachments

• 20160311_173146.jpg
    20160311_173146.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 122

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the update Banjo. You have things going your way now. Keep us informed. :tiphat: Have a safe and blessed weekend. collie

banjo

Got the new front axle in this afternoon and put it back together. It is a Caiman brand from American cv. It looks very well made...,time will tell. Still waiting on the new battery i ordered for it. Pictures not loading tonight. Will try again later. Banjo

banjo

ok i,'ll try the picture thing again.

Attachments

• 20160318_174530.jpg
    20160318_174530.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20160318_191644.jpg
    20160318_191644.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 81

banjo

The new axle works fine. No noise. 4 wheel drive is working again. But I will give it some time before i give it a thumbs up. I am impressed with how well it looked for just $95.00 delivered o my door. If i did it again i would not take the A arm off, even though it wasn't too bad to get back on.... just an unnecessary step. Banjo

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good job Banjo ! Yea , if you can get the rtv front elevated high enough, you can just swing the A arm down. Congratulations . :tiphat: collie

banjo

A little update here: Its been a year and 3 months and a whole bunch of hours since I put that Front Axle in, and its still in great shape. So I would buy another in a heart beat if the other one went out on me. Banjo