Changing the Front Boots on RTV900

Mark.Sibole

temp repair for now till i get the parts heavy duty packing wrap around it 10 times and gorilla take to keep the junk out till parts arrive.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I should have proofread... "real thing" should be "real thin" .. Sorry about that ya'll . bordercollie

Mark.Sibole

Well have all the parts to repair the boot but health slowing me down at the moment.As soon as this MS flare up eases up ill get it done just an update

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Mark. I was wondering about how things were going. Wish some of us were closer and we'd be there assisting ya on the boots... collie

Mark.Sibole

Thanks Yes not having anyone close can suck when i need some help.I just plug along sonethings just take longer than others.
If it were a job ive done before it wouldnt be much of a problem but ine never changed a boot before and im not really sure how the CV joint assembly is set up.From what you have shown and what ive read you have to remove the whole axle and remove the inner boot also and im not sure how it is all puit together so im not sure what will fly apart on me lol.Getting the sxle off shouldnt be a problem its just the dis assewmbly of the boots is where moral support is always nice.I get to frustraited when doing things and can get forgetful when trying t re assemble things the right way.The Joys on MS.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I get really bad forgetful Mark so you are not alone. Don't worry about this project, you can do it :) ... I take a lot of pictures and lay the parts out in a line as I take them off. I can mess up big time if not for pictures and sometimes even then. One of my hindrances is thinking about some other problem while I do something I should be concentrating on. -- but again, I know you can do it.. if I can, then anybody can. collie

Mark.Sibole

Its official its done.Would have been easier if I didnt get 3 phone calls loosing track of things and put the inside boot on the outside and the outside on the inside.Had to take the alxe all apart switch and regrease it.I didnt have to drop the A arm as a 20 inch extension worked fine for getting to things.Hope i dont have to do this for a long while but at least i know how to do it and know even my broken azz can do it so anyone can

Mark.Sibole

I get really bad forgetful Mark so you are not alone. Don't worry about this project, you can do it :) ... I take a lot of pictures and lay the parts out in a line as I take them off. I can mess up big time if not for pictures and sometimes even then. One of my hindrances is thinking about some other problem while I do something I should be concentrating on. -- but again, I know you can do it.. if I can, then anybody can. collie

Heck i almost went to have you call me on something.Forgot where 1 clip went but the shop manual showed me The only thing i can forsee going wrong is one of the clips popping loose but i believe they all seated well.

Mark.Sibole

Thanks HUn your illistrations were a bit help and your support was greatly appreciated.Now time for pain pills ans a shower.Its amazing how that grease just jumps out of the bottle and gets all over you.Terri asked what explades i had it in my hair lol.Told her was from glasses kept slipping and repositioning them with hands full of grease I was a mess lol.
Thanks again for yoyr help and moral support

Mark.Sibole

but one of there days im gunna drop you my phone number just in case i need to confer on things with ya lol always good to have close moral support

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That grease in the hair reminds me of the first time I changed the transmission oil in the '05 waaaay back then... forgot to replace the plug because I was ticked and preoccupied thinking about something else... saw the new honey colored oil running by my foot... jumped under there and stuck my finger in the drain till I could grab the plug.. got a heavy oil treatment for my hair and work clothes big time... but I did save , I think, a gallon of the expensive trans oil.. :) oh for the simple errors of life that turned out to be nothing... bordercollie

Mark.Sibole

Just FYI I did get the boot kit at Kubota this time as it was more convienent.It was 50 for the kit but came with all the grease you need all the new band clamps you need for both boots and all new c clups and retainer rings.Im not sure what the after market kits include but figured id point it out for anyone who needs to replace their boots.

me37250

I recently benefitted from the excellent instructions provided in this thread. Surprisingly I had a little trouble getting the correct boot kit from my local dealer. Thought I'd share my lesson learned for others.

I only needed the outer boot kit. They provided me the inner boot kit and were quite certain the boots were interchangeable. Upon further investigation, the inner and outer boots are significantly different. Different boots are needed to accommodate the inner "plunge" CV joint as compared to the outer "fixed" CV joint. Also the boot mounting surfaces are different diameters. I will attempt to post a few photos illustrating the differences. Maybe the differences are something that online, non-dealer buyers should keep in mind.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 201
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 199
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 200

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Welcome to the Site ....

Enjoy and if you need anything, feel free to ask. Always, there is someone here happy to lend a helping hand somehow ....

........ two guns ( jamie )

Attachments

• Happy Rabbitt.jpg
    Happy Rabbitt.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 178

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I recently benefitted from the excellent instructions provided in this thread. QUOTE]

You ask to reach you threw PM. Could not, so sent email.
Go to Control Panel and set where one can reply to message.

Check your personal email and go from there .....

........... two guns

Attachments

• Gator Smiling in Bayou.gif
    Gator Smiling in Bayou.gif
    89.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I overlooked this thread. a lot going on here cows... plus niece got married this weekend. :).
I am so glad that the thread helped though. :) As was said earlier, we are all here to help each other. Welcome to our family. :tiphat: bordercollie

p.s. I missed Two Guns' cow pepr was talking about....oh shoot!!!!! well, dog gone it!!