Coast Plug for X-900 Didn't work

So FYI, I put in the $80 coast plug today and have noticed no discernable difference in the amount of jarring I get on deceleration. Whiplash city still.

That said, 2 questions for the group.

The original plug had no oil on it, was actually kinda rusty (will get a couple of pix shortly). Is this correct?

I am mulling over sending this to our local Kubota dealer to have him check the settings on the trans. First, what sort of questions do I ask to see if he actually knows what he is doing (not a lot of Kubotas in our area but we are quite hilly).

Second, I have some hydraulic knowledge. Is this something we can do ourselves?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
is this machine still under warranty? if it isn't did you remove the relief valve from under the plug?

So I followed the instructions, removed the coast plug, installed the new one. Here are the instructions. here is all of the items (one plug) that were removed.

Am I missing something? What does this thing do? Why is it so rusty on the inside?

Attachments

• IMG_6279.jpg
    IMG_6279.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6278.jpg
    IMG_6278.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6280.jpg
    IMG_6280.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 63
Oh, spoke with the local dealer. After a lengthy conversation, it is pretty clear the kubota will not improve its performance, our machine sounds welll tuned to the mechanic.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i can be going down the road full throttle at about 20 mph and let off of the peddle and the RTV takes about 100 feet or a little more to come to a stop. factory no coast plug. on my old 2007 model if i tried that the tires would skid or break something. i put a coast plug in the 2007 model and it is a little softer than the 2014 model is now. just remember the two are completely different designs

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When I first got my RTV (2006 model) I was frustrated with the quick stops and considered a coast valve. With advice from others here and patience on my part, I eventually got used to it and grew to appreciate the way the RTV stopped. Plus, with experience, I learned to slowly let off the accelerator when stopping. My wife and other passengers were sure happy for the slower stops. :D

I have a lot of hills on my property but rarely had to use brakes to stop. The engine stop would actually hold me back when going down steep hills. Very handy. I never would have requested this feature on any side by side but in retrospect I grew to like this feature. Hope it works similar for you with your RTV.

zenchal26

So I followed the instructions, removed the coast plug, installed the new one. Here are the instructions. here is all of the items (one plug) that were removed.

Am I missing something? What does this thing do? Why is it so rusty on the inside?

pretty sure there is a poppet under that plug with an oring sealing it thus no oil getting in there to keep from rusting. the plug is just a stop restricting the movement of the poppet

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
if the poppet is rusty like the plug it could be stuck. that is why i asked if you removed the poppet earlier in the thread. it should lift out finger tight i think.