Rear Differential Cover R

lfriddle1

2004 RTV900G Owner bought at auction and said the seal on the right side rear propeller shaft was pouring out transmission fluid. He asked me if I would change it and I agreed taking him at his word. When I started taking it apart I discovered that someone before had changed the propeller shaft and had attempted to screw in the three bolts with an impact wrench. They were totally stripped out. They bolt into the right side diffsupport cover. I ordered one and it is turning into a real bear to get the old one off. Anybody have any experience or advice? :pat:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That sounds like a rough job. Have you taken the entire section with the "bumper" off to get to it. If so, I'd check the ujoints while I was at it.
If it's like I'm thinking about somebody probably used some heavy duty sealant on it where the inner ujoint area bolts on. There may be some pictures or reference points on the ujoint thread here. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4134872 I have used a fine bladed putty knife in such instances, to wiggle under the sealant and break it free.
There are also good diagrams at the Messick's equipment site (one of our sponsors) to see what you have - all you need to do is sign in with an email. Then list the year model of your rtv.
bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
That sounds like a rough job. Have you taken the entire section with the "bumper" off to get to it. If so, I'd check the ujoints while I was at it.
If it's like I'm thinking about somebody probably used some heavy duty sealant on it where the inner ujoint area bolts on. There may be some pictures or reference points on the ujoint thread here. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4134872 I have used a fine bladed putty knife in such instances, to wiggle under the sealant and break it free.
There are also good diagrams at the Messick's equipment site (one of our sponsors) to see what you have - all you need to do is sign in with an email. Then list the year model of your rtv.
bordercollie

Linky no worky!:wink:

lfriddle1

pics would help understand. have you considered helicoil inserts???
I was a television engineer before I retired and have no mechanical experience, just time to spare now. I have never heard of helicoil inserts. What are they and where do I get them. It is too late now though. I have the diff cover started apart about 1/4 inch gap all around but can't get it to come out any farther. Another 1/4 inch and the flange would be clear and it should slide right out. I don't see anything in the diagram that would keep it from coming out with the brake lever still attached. I have a service manual that just says pull it out, and the messicks parts diagrams. The part I am talking about is in the transmission section and is part #85 on drawing D4200. The sealant on it was factory. The goober didn't use anything on the propeller shaft seal cover. It still had the broken remains of the old seal. Reusing that will be no problem.
Everything else looks and feels good although I went ahead and replaced the seal and bearing while I had the shaft off. U Joints look and feel good. Removed the axel support and then when I started having problems I removed the shock and spring to give me more room.

I appreciate everybody's comments I have received.

lfriddle1

Thank you for turning me on to helicoil. I looked it up on youtube and wondered "Where have you been all my life!" SO, now on to plan B (C or D, as it changes so fast!). I used blue permatex RTV and stuffed it into the 1/4 inch gap I had opened up. Then I put all the bolts back in and tightened them up until the case went back together. An hour later I went back and torqued them to 14 ft/lbs. So far so good. Then I drove the 35 miles to my nearest auto parts dealer and they had the helicoil kit in stock that I needed. I came back and drilled out the three holes with the size bit the instructions said to use. I then started to tap the holes and immediately started having problems with the pot aluminum giving way as I tried tap it. I think using a smaller drill bit than specified on this stuff may be a good idea. I was getting frustrated so stopped for today before I totally messed it up. I'll continue again tomorrow and hope the helicoil will go in like it should. Thank you again everyone for the suggestion.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well, starting fresh always seemed to help me ( I also say a prayer) .
I looked at the part diagram you spoke of at Messicks and was fortunate that I never had to remove that particular piece. I just remember having to adjust the gears inside as I pushed in the shaft- sorta like a combination safe. Push and turn push and turn both ways It slowly went in though. Here's the link from Messicks. for others to see what you are doing. hopefully it still works.
https://www.messicks.com/ku/86216?sectionId=228035&diagramId=448035 Gotta love this dealer..

lfriddle1

Hello everybody. I had meant to post back sooner with pictures, but my iphone died and I had to buy a new one. I lost all of the pictures I had taken except for a few. After my last post, I went back and found that if I tapped the tap with a hammer first, it would then thread in quite easily. I installed the three helicoils which went in real easy. Put the permatex RTV gasket maker on the propeller shaft seal cover and bolted it on with new bolts. Very easy. I waited two days to give the RTV time to cure before I filled the transmission with UDT. No leaks were found! I discovered that the left side propeller shaft U-Joint was about gone so I replaced it too. The hardest part of the whole thing was getting the axle reconnected to the propeller shafts. I did a test drive and everything was just wonderful! Thanks everybody for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg