RTV900 engine stop issues, start issues

Jweber83

I have a few things I have learned to check out but I was hoping one or a few of you have encountered this before. For reference this is a RTV900W6-H.

Last night my rtv would not start. Dash lit up but nothing. I was certain the battery was not dead. Towed it back to the barn to deal with in the morning. In the morning it started right up. Wierd. But... when I was done, it wouldn’t shut off. Had to manually push the plunger on the stop solenoid. Then it would not start back up.

The three things I have learned as a potential issue are the ignition fuse, bad engine stop solenoid, or a short. Is there any advice any of you could give me? Also, which fuse is the ignition fuse? I will get out my meter and start checking wires tomorrow. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
On the stop solenoid. You should hear a "tink" noise about 5 seconds after it is turned off with a key. Will your lights come on even when it won't start?
I just had to replace a stop solenoid . all was working fine and then day before yesterday, it wouldn't do anything- no lights neither. I was real busy on the farm and just checked the battery terminal today and it was a little corroded . I took off the positive made the stub bright and shiny ,reattached the terminal snugged it down after checking the water and she cranked right up.
On yours,I was wondering it it might be the key switch since you had to turn off manually and then it still wouldn't restart. but.. does it do anything at all such as attempting to start or is everything dead such as headlights? I read where your dash lights up but were they bright?
there should be a little fuse chart on the inside back of the fuse box there behind your back when the bed is raised. collie

edit http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14088&highlight=stop+solenoid
edit http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12486&highlight=real+starter&page=2

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I wasn't clear on the first post I made . On my 2011 rtv 900. I replaced the original stop solenoid 9 months ago with an import and then it just went bad on me. .. One day , I went to start it and nothing happened.. no nothing. Contacted the seller and got another for a discounted price although it was just out of warranty. I put it in a few weeks ago and she's starting fine right up, that is until my battery clamp needed cleaning and tightening.. now all is fine.
I left a link on the first post also about when my key switch went nuts on me on my old 2005 rtv 900- sort of comical if you need a good laugh.. collie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have you tried to wiggle the shifter while in neutral? My 06 RTV acted similar but if I wiggled a bit and moved the shifter to the right side of the neutral area it would engage.

Jweber83

OK. Thanks. I am leaning towards trying to replace that switch. Thanks.

Doc - yes. I had tried that. Thanks.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Border Collie is right about the Neutral switch. Had the same issues except not so intermittent. Worth shorting across it and see what happens. Just if you leave it that way watch out for the grand babies...…..God bless....Dennis

Jweber83

So thats a negative on the neutral switch. Also checked all fuses. Its bringing me back to the engine stop unit. I might just have bite the bullet($$) and replace that.