View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

California will become famous soon enough
Style:

It's after midnight and I'm now back home in town, over in the Central Valley.

Before leaving the ranch I packed some ranch work clothes I hadn't used for a while, and some retired towels. On the way out I took them to a church near the ranch that I saw listed as a fire evacuation center. I wasn't familiar with the church but my hunch turned out to be right. I'm pretty sure these were the families of the seasonal harvest and winery workers, maybe some undocumented, now enduring what must be the worst day of their lives. The church's large activities hall was full of people quietly bedded down for the night. Few had luggage with them and there were nearly no cars in the church parking lot. These seemed to be people who previously had little and now had nothing. I doubt any had renter's insurance, or loss insurance on the cars they had needed to get to work.

I won't forget that sight. This was a very up-close view of devastation.

I also was bringing a few 40 lb bins of apples that I donate to a city downtown food closet during harvest season. But I decided to leave a bin at that church since they needed the apples as much as the poor and homeless in the city that I had intended the apples for.

Last edited by California; 10-11-2017 at 04:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to California For This Useful Post:
thcri (10-11-2017)