Steering noise on RTV 500

PWalker

At low spped I have a noise,a rubbing type sound,comiing from my steering.Its only when I am making slow speed turns or direction changes.I have taken the steering wheel off and applied grease as well as WD 40 the entire shaft and joint.Has anybody else noticed this?If so how did you correct it?Its more of an annoyance than anything else.</p>

Jason Spears

Yes, mine has started to do it as well. It has around 35 hours on it. I haven't had time to look into what is causing it yet.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Welcome to our world Jason Spears >>>></p>

Glad you jump in >>> myself,own a 900,butwe, and I'm speakingabout all members, WE, are willing to help with anything you come up with. Weall love to help,even if it is the wrong answer, and we always love to help new members spend their money, just like we did, on the new RTV's >>>></p>

Seriously, Happy you are here,doors always open on this forum !!!!!
</p>

......... two guns</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi to All. I also have a 900 but had a similiar situation with the another machine. I have never seen a 500 up close so there may be nothing in common with what I experienced. Anyway, there was a piece of plastic where the steering wheel met the column/dash that was rubbing . Probably not it, but just putting that out. Is the noise coming from under the dash or floorboard?. Good luck finding it ! Bordercollie</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I was going to make a similar suggestion. My 2005 suburban has a plastic to plastic rub when it is cold. The dang thing sounds like it has major front end problem but it is all in the steering wheel plastic and drives the wife crazy. It sounds like something similar to me. A quick check would be to jack it up and have someone turn the wheel while you look and listen to see if anything under it is rubbing. With low hours you might give the dealer a call.</p>

mike1234

Hi, new to this group, been lurking for a month or so. Have had my 500 for about 3 months, 65 hours. Same issue, steering noise, so took it to dealer, they pulled stearing wheel, said it did not have enough grease. They greased it, and it turns so much easier (didn't even realize how much effort I was putting into turning it). Need special gear puller to pull the stearing wheel and not mess it up I think, althought the nut is easy to get to. They must have seen this before because they said they will pull all theirs and do this before they sell them now.</p>

Mike</p>

PWalker

I pulled mine the other day as well.11/16 socket I think and tap the back side of the whell and she pops right off.Its a splined connection.I greased it,some grease already there,and sprayed lithium grease every where else steering related.It was still making the noise after I did this .I got on it yesterday and it was much better...HMMMMMM</p>