Hydraulic pressure BX-2230

1kubota

This has probably been asked several times already, I could't find anything in the messages.
Is there a way to boost hydraulic pressure for my FEL? Seems I heard or read somewhere about adding waffers to the pressure valve?? Has anyone done this? Would you recommend doing this?

Thanks
Larry
Northern,In

rj's barn

Have you lost lift strength in the bucket or do you just want to be able to pick up more than it was meant to from the factory? Did it start lifting and lowering slower? What kind of work are you planning to do with it?

1kubota

Doesn't seem to have lost lift strength. Just want to boost what was set by factory. I don't want to cause damage by changing something. The FEL does seep down about an inch an hour from full up with engine off. I didn't notice it doing that when first purchased, maybe I just didn't notice? The tractor has 508 hrs. I did all the service at 500hrs. Engine and hydrulics.
Thanks
Larry

Red Beard

The first thing you should do is buy a 5,000# pressure gauge. You can attach a quik coupler to it and plug it into one of the remote lines and see what your pressure actually is. Often the factory pressure isn't set too accurately and may be high or low 500lbs or so. Replumb the gauge, and you can see and isolate bad seals or valves. High pressure blows stuff and low just doesn't get the job done. The pressure should always be relieved when not being used (loader down) when the not being used for safety and to help keep the o-rings, ect from distorting and leaking.

1kubota

Thanks for the info. Where would I pick up a 5,000# gauge. Do you or anyone else know what the pressure is supposed to be on for tractor? When I mentioned leak down of the FEL, I only did that while washing the tractor, noticed it leaked down a little. When tractor isn't in use all pressure is relieved- evrything down.
Thanks
Larry

1kubota

Found this on another site.
Hydraulic Relief Valve Adjustment for Bx2230 and Bx1830

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems there are some differences between models when increasing hydraulic relief valve pressure. Here is the information from the BX 1830 / BX 2230 Workshop manual for increasing hydraulic pressure. I used my pictures because the WSM pictures are not very clear.

Factory spec. for hydraulic relief valve activation is from 1778-1849 psi

Shims are available in three thicknesses: .1mm (.0039 inch)
.2mm (.0079 inch)
.4mm (.0157 inch)
pressure is increased approx. 39psi whenever the thickness of the adjusting shim is increased by .1mm.
I added two .2mm shims, and re-torqued the relief valve plug to the factory spec of 28-45ft-lbs.

Keywords : hydraulics pressure increase increasing 30 series kubota kabota BX Bx 1500 1800 1830 1850 22 2200 2230 2250 23 24 25 2660 Bx1500 Bx1800 Bx1830 Bx1850 Bx22 Bx2200 Bx2230 Bx2250 Bx23 Bx24 Bx25 Bx2660 subcompact sub-compact sub compact lift capacity loader FEL bucket

Larry

1kubota

Wotrboi,
Thanks I'll check it out.

Larry
Northern,In
Finally got a warming trend, supposed to get to 47º by this Wed. Come on spring...

1kubota

Jim, Thanks very much for the info. Very interesting. Haven't ordered the tester yet but most likely will.

Larry
Northern,In

1kubota

Hydraulic pressure BX2230

Purchased the hydraulic tester from BXpanded. I think the cost is too much for what you get, but saves running around trying to find shims etc. I tested my BX2230. According to the gauge it had 1750 psi. I added the .3mm shim. It now has 1950 psi. I may peplace the .3 with the .2 ?? Don't know if the higher pressure could cause damage?? I used the tractor in dirt that has been setting for about a year, packed pretty good. Tractor did much better with the higher pressure. Still have to remember that the BX's are small units, can't expect big tractor work.
Three sizes of shims came in my pressure kit. one .1mm, two .2mm, one .3mm I attached pics of the kit.
Larry
Northern,In

Attachments

• plastic box.jpg
    plastic box.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Gauge 1.jpg
    Gauge 1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Gauge 2.jpg
    Gauge 2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 75

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Larry, I also have a BX2230. I am curious if you still have your tractor and if it suffered any long term effects of increasing the pressure?

Thanks - Tony